• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Polian: “Of course” Manning and Luck can be on same team

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Early this morning, before all hell broke loose in Jacksonville and Indianapolis, I was preparing to write a post on Bill Polian’s comments from his radio show Monday night.

A few hours later, Polian’s remarks remain compelling. And they will ultimately matter a lot more to the future of the Colts franchise than the decision to fire Larry Coyer as defensive coordinator.

Colts vice chairman Bill Polian said on the show via Stampede Blue that “of course you can” have Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning on the same team next year.

Polian has hinted around at this notion, but he’s never made the case so strongly. Polian pointed towards the new salary structure for first round picks making it feasible. He also mentioned Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers being on the same team for three years.

Polian said the team won’t make any decisions on a draft pick until April 2012, but Luck is “one of” the players they could potentially take.

Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star disagrees, but we think keeping Manning and drafting Luck makes a lot of sense.

You have to take a franchise quarterback like Luck if you believe he’s the future. You also can’t count on Manning staying healthy for one game at this point, much less a few years.

Manning has earned the right to continue his career with the Colts, if there is a career. What’s the worst that could happen from keeping both players?

It would be a very good problem to have two franchise quarterbacks if Manning somehow survived 2012 healthy and looking like the same old Peyton Manning.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
worst case scenerio, manning stays healthy and they can trade him in a year or two

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question at this point becomes, 'Will Andrew Luck even want to sit around on the bench for 3 years?'

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question at this point becomes, 'Will Andrew Luck even want to sit around on the bench for 3 years?'

he'd be an idiot if he didn't want to sit and learn from manning. not to mention how much money he'd be getting in the meantime

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i'm sure the answer is no, but does he have a choice?

guess he could sit out a year and re-enter, but is this better than being with an NFL team? don't know, just asking.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This org has shown to have courage or arrogance in their convictions.

They will pick 1 and move on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if Luck is as good as advertised, i'd draft him #1 based on his merits alone. i'd then go into the off season and season, see where Peyton stands?

if both are on the roster year 1 fine, if Luck has to sit, fine. cause Polian has to take the larger view.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Best scenario, Manning plays 2 years at a high level and retires, Luck steps in after 2 seasons learning and the Colts offense doesn't skip a beat.
Smart move IMO.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i'm sure the answer is no, but does he have a choice?

guess he could sit out a year and re-enter, but is this better than being with an NFL team? don't know, just asking.

Exactly. The only way around this would be a forced trade but how could he say he wants to be traded because Manning will be there 3 years when he JUST missed a whole season? Injuries do happen, expecially after major surgery. It'd be questionable for him to act like that sitting for 3 years is inevitable. Plus, I'd think that as good as Manning is, he'd have to have the confidence to think he could challenge an aging Manning eventually but would be more accepting of the idea that he'd be best served to start off on the bench. The question would be time of stay on the bench.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly. The only way around this would be a forced trade but how could he say he wants to be traded because Manning will be there 3 years when he JUST missed a whole season? Injuries do happen, expecially after major surgery. It'd be questionable for him to act like that sitting for 3 years is inevitable. Plus, I'd think that as good as Manning is, he'd have to have the confidence to think he could challenge an aging Manning eventually but would be more accepting of the idea that he'd be best served to start off on the bench. The question would be time of stay on the bench.

yep, and IF Luck pans out as expected, then Indy won't wait 3 years, they'd try to move Peyton year 3, MAYBE year 2?

it'll look bad for Colt fans but hey, similar to when we traded Montana, teams have to look forward.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the colts I would draft Luck have him sit behind Manning for a year and then start him in year 2 and trade Manning. You'd get your starting QB of the future and have him mentored by one of the best QB's of all time and then still get good value by trading him.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, saying Luck will have to sit around three years is going on a huge assumption that Manning even comes back... and stays healthy to boot. Neither of which is guaranteed. This could even turn into a situation similar to what the 49ers had like deep mentioned. Maybe Manning's neck injury turns into a 2 year ordeal like Montana's elbow did... so it wouldn't even be an issue of sitting behind Manning.

I guess I was suggesting Luck may want to prove he can play at a high level from day one, like Marino, Elway, Manning, and lately Newton. I have no idea what the character of the guy is like, just thinking that some guys don't want to sit on the bench like that.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually don't spend a lot of time forecasting where players will wind up, but I haven't scene this scenario anywhere. What about Peyton winding up in New Orleans? If I remember correctly, Brees' contract is up after 2011. If he walks, Peyton has an obvious link to New Orleans. Probably a low chance, but you never know.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think brees is going anywhere. and i think manning stays for at least 1 season, then teams would most likely be offering decent trades if he shows he's healthy. a big if when it comes to neck injuries

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I vaguely remember someone (Pozz?) posting saying that Manning's new contract makes it virtually impossible to trade him. I don't know if he meant just next season or even after that though.