• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I anticipate you will see my posting a lot here... and so wanted to take a minute to give a thumbnail sketch of why that little Star is the first sports icon on my profile.

I have been a Cowboys fan since Dandy Don Meredith hit Tom Brown right in the numbers in the 1966 NFL Championship game. I was 11 at the time (have at it math scholars) and was convinced that a Super Bowl win was just a matter of beating the Packers in 1967. We all know how that worked out... and I have been a die hard ever since. Our heroes were the epitome of the "Wait Until Next Year" mantra. Crushed in 1971... elated in 1972... and I have rode this bus unwaveringly.

I come here from the old Fan Nation forums on the SI site. They have decided that they will use that server going forward for new and exciting offerings. In other words, they are turning it into a Fantasy Sports pay-as-you-go forum and as a result kicked all of us good posters (as well as a whole bunch of trolls, dupes and other assorted idiots) out the door.

You will find me to be a voice of reason when it comes to our heroes. I've learned to accept the fact that Jerry will never give up being a GM. As a result, I have also concluded that if he will surround himself with good football people that provide good football advice (instead of suck ass sycophants like Larry Lacewell) we have a chance to improve our lot in the NFC East. I am a disciple of the Rick Gosselin school of thinking when it comes to the NFL Draft. The NFL is a young man's game. As a result, a team HAS to draft well. The 2008/09 drafts hang on this team like an albatross. It messes every other phase of the team up.

I look forward to being a regular contributor on the Cowboys thread here on the Hoop. I also look forward to carrying on civil dialogue with the other Cowboys fans here. You won't see name calling from me... you won't see demeaning comments from me... you won't see me talking down to anyone... and you won't see me taking this whole sports fan thing too seriously. My wife is a breast cancer survivor and we are very involved in real life efforts that put being a sports fan in perspective. It ain't that important.

Oh...

• Iggles Suck!
    ViQueens Suck
    Fuck the Niners!

That's about all you're gonna get from me...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the hell cares.

Just kidding. Welcome. Keep in mind many of o's have become leary of new posters because of the troll qualities they bring with them.

Also keep in mind we are not afraid to call out stupid. If you say something dumb you better have thick skin. I would say that to all the FA posters.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the hell cares.

Just kidding. Welcome. Keep in mind many of o's have become leary of new posters because of the troll qualities they bring with them.

Also keep in mind we are not afraid to call out stupid. If you say something dumb you better have thick skin. I would say that to all the FA posters.

I was alerted about people showing up here with less than honorable intentions. There were plenty of dooschebags on the Cowboys threads at FN too. Goes with the territory - especially for us Cowboys fans. We have more than our share of assclowns pretending they know anything about anything.

I will let my words speak for me. And - I promise - I'm a big boy. If I throw out a dumbass comment, I can take the heat.

Also - I am a bit of a sarcastic son of a bitch. You'll learn that too. Like I said - I don't take all this as seriously as I used to. Real life has a way of putting Jerry's bullshit in perspective.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was alerted about people showing up here with less than honorable intentions. There were plenty of dooschebags on the Cowboys threads at FN too. Goes with the territory - especially for us Cowboys fans. We have more than our share of assclowns pretending they know anything about anything.

I will let my words speak for me. And - I promise - I'm a big boy. If I throw out a dumbass comment, I can take the heat.

Also - I am a bit of a sarcastic son of a bitch. You'll learn that too. Like I said - I don't take all this as seriously as I used to. Real life has a way of putting Jerry's bullshit in perspective.

You're good peeps Otis :suds:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

welcome aboard

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So far most of the FA bunch seem to be ok. I'll remain cautious with all. Another FYI just because I or a few others appear to accept a new poster doesn't mean we won't call B'S at the drop of a hat. I'm sure you've been posting for sometime now and I'm sure you don't always agree 100% with the same people on a daily basis.

Welcome aboard. If you get beat up on a thought take it as constructive criticism and not simply as we hate your guts. Time will tell. Also you will find posters can get away with more here than on many other teams boards. Ford is our kid and dies a great job of nor over dictating. When it gets too extreme he'll warn than clean. He not a shoot first as later mod. If you like to troll tread very lightly on the skins board.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Otis represents well.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he's a man of wealth and fame?

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far most of the FA bunch seem to be ok. I'll remain cautious with all. Another FYI just because I or a few others appear to accept a new poster doesn't mean we won't call B'S at the drop of a hat. I'm sure you've been posting for sometime now and I'm sure you don't always agree 100% with the same people on a daily basis.

Welcome aboard. If you get beat up on a thought take it as constructive criticism and not simply as we hate your guts. Time will tell. Also you will find posters can get away with more here than on many other teams boards. Ford is our kid and dies a great job of nor over dictating. When it gets too extreme he'll warn than clean. He not a shoot first as later mod. If you like to troll tread very lightly on the skins board.

Trust me - I have thick skin. And - I do not troll.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he's a man of wealth and fame?

Not really... but I was a supporter of a proposed concert in Dallas last 11/22 with a headlining act of the Dead Kennedys.

Too soon?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff...

Safe to say Fran Tarkentan put a fire or two in your pants out in the 70's, perhap Joe Kapp did as well. I also see you know the "value" of a quality O-line as well as the value of a good D-line too. You have been beaten and beat the crappers out of others by both.

I have never bought into "America's team"...WTH did that mean to all the other fans of the league?

I do remember R Staubach as your QB, gawd damers he was terrific to watch. As well as Mel Renfro, Bob Hayes and a multitude of D players and ball carriers. I have watched every SB ever played, Cowboys were always a tough win to get on the way there OR in the SB.

Enjoy your ride here...

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff...

Safe to say Fran Tarkentan put a fire or two in your pants out in the 70's, perhap Joe Kapp did as well. I also see you know the "value" of a quality O-line as well as the value of a good D-line too. You have been beaten and beat the crappers out of others by both.

I have never bought into "America's team"...WTH did that mean to all the other fans of the league?

I do remember R Staubach as your QB, gawd damers he was terrific to watch. As well as Mel Renfro, Bob Hayes and a multitude of D players and ball carriers. I have watched every SB ever played, Cowboys were always a tough win to get on the way there OR in the SB.

Enjoy your ride here...

I am indeed old enough to remember watching Joe Kapp... as well as Bill Brown, Dave Osborn, Ed White and Ron Yary, Karl Kassulke, Wally Hilgenberg, THE Gene Washington, the great Bobby Bryant...

Funny story I can share - Drew Pearson did a meet and greet up there (in St. Paul) last year. I follow him on Twitter and advised him to avoid security people who might look threatening (I'm sure you know what I am referring to...). Not only did he retweet that, but then he posted a picture of him with that security guy and included me in the tweet.

Good times...

:suds:

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm another long time Cowboy fan. My dad took me to my first game when they still played in the Cotton Bowl. Being able to go to games with him until the late 70s are some of my most cherished memories.

Here's my problem. Even at the end of the Landry era when the team was bad, there was always hope. Even when we were driving up to Lake Texoma to be able to watch the games on TV, there was still hope for next year.

With Jerry as the owner, I had hope until I heard him say last year that he would have fired someone with his track record as GM. Well he didn't and we all know he won't. As owner and GM, he sets the tone for the team. This team is weak mentally. Now he's set the expectations so low that 8/8 is supposed to be a winning season. That just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

So what to do? To me, a true fan never gives up on the team. But I've decided to avoid anything above following the team until something changes. No more gear, caps, tshirts or other gear until something at the top changes. I know watching on TV will still put money in Jerry's pockets, but that's where my financial commitment stops for now.

And yeah, I know he won't feel my small protest, but I will.

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff...

Enjoy your ride here...

"America's Team" was a bad idea that still gives me a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach when I hear it.
"

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That label has always felt a little ridiculous, but it's probably helped them receive coverage as if they're relevant in this era of not so great Cowboys football.