• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Player in particular...

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A few days ago:
"We have one person that we feel real good about that if we're not able to make some moves, if we choose to do that, up or back," -- Trent Baalke

Today:
(Trade with Patriots; Should pick: Brandon Weeden). Cleveland sends a third-rounder to New England to move up 10 spots, from 37 to 27, and prevent the other Weeden fans -- Chiefs, Eagles, Bills, Niners -- from grabbing him. I know he'll be 29 in October, but if you think a player can be a good starting quarterback in the league for eight years, and several teams do, he's worth a lot more than the 27th pick.
-- Peter King

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King is on drugs

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would think the Browns would just select him with their second 1st round pick rather than back up to get him.

I don't think he's Baalke's "guy" because I just don't see us going the QB route after taking one in the 2nd round last season.

I've heard Bruce Irvin could be Baalke's "guy" and I don't think we'll ever know who Baalke's "guy" is unless we trade up to get him.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think the Browns would just select him with their second 1st round pick rather than back up to get him.

I don't think he's Baalke's "guy" because I just don't see us going the QB route after taking one in the 2nd round last season.

I've heard Bruce Irvin could be Baalke's "guy" and I don't think we'll ever know who Baalke's "guy" is unless we trade up to get him.

In the first?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Baalke has pretty much waived his authority on the QB position. Last year Baalke said the team obviously doesn't have a franchise QB on the roster -- Smith was technically an F/A -- but it was easy to take what he said out of context. And if my memory serves me correct, he didn't clarify his statement until Harbaugh showed interest in him.

This year, we signed Josh Johnson; former player for Harbaugh.

So if we are in the Weeden running, it's because Harbaugh likes him, not necessarily Baalke.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Baalke I trust... til he goes sour/wrong, i can't argue/contest with his draft selections as of now....

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I saw that article by Barrows. Bruce Irvin doesn't seem like a first rounder to me from that Clemson highlight. He is fast but had one swim move, over and over. Reminded me of TBC and his spin move! No thanks.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bruce Irvin doesn't seem like a first rounder to me from that Clemson highlight. He is fast but had one swim move, over and over. Reminded me of TBC and his spin move! No thanks.

I don't think Irvin should be take anywhere near the 1st round. He's a project, and I see him more of a situational pass rusher. Baalke's had success with high potential guys lately, so maybe he'd be a good 2nd or 3rd round pick, but his floor isn't high enough for the 1st round IMO.

I think Perry & Curry are both better pass rushers than he is. More times than not I've seen Irvin rush from the left side, so he's usually facing RTs in college. If you're not good enough to be a LT in college and you're not Tyron Smith then you're not a good measure against a potential NFL pass rusher.

Irvin is also pretty small, which is a big reason why he had such a fast 40 time. I'm much more comfortable with guys who have to cut weight than guys who have to put it on.

I love Irvin's speed, but I don't love the fact that he didn't face great competition and his lack of strength. He also won't be extremely versatile in the pro's. That puts him in the 2nd or 3rd round IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In Baalke I trust... til he goes sour/wrong, i can't argue/contest with his draft selections as of now....

for 2011 he had a very good class, granted CK could still take it down some notches? are you counting the 2010 draft as Baalke's and if so, how much of it? or which picks?

for 2010, having the 17th pick should be credited to McCloughan right? who we chose (Iupati) is attributed to Baalke or Singlatary, depending how much influence you feel Singletary had?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for 2011 he had a very good class, granted CK could still take it down some notches?

Disagree. Though early for full judgement, the 2011 class looks very good. Even if CK never plays, that doesn't take away from the contributions. A. Smith, Cully, Hunter, and Bruce Miller contributed heavily as rookies. Kilgore and Persons could be up for a RG spot as well. That's a solid ahul even if CK doesn't pan out. Hopefully, CK becomes a start and the class goes down as one of the best in history.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Disagree. Though early for full judgement, the 2011 class looks very good. Even if CK never plays, that doesn't take away from the contributions. A. Smith, Cully, Hunter, and Bruce Miller contributed heavily as rookies. Kilgore and Persons could be up for a RG spot as well. That's a solid ahul even if CK doesn't pan out. Hopefully, CK becomes a start and the class goes down as one of the best in history.

You're in Deep-world now. If you miss on any picks in the first four rounds, it's not a very good draft. Hell, the Niners' 2007 draft isn't even very good in deep's opinion. At least it wasn't a year and a half ago.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Re: Weeden, I don't see it. He's older than Smith. He might have slightly more tools, but we'd need to think Weeden could be an elite QB within two or three years to make it worth it.