• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PJ Axelsson

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers interested in former Bruins forward P.J. Axelsson? - Broad Street Hockey

37-year-old P.J. Axelsson is attempting an NHL return to finish his playing career, and according to a report, the Philadelphia Flyers are one of at least two teams interested in his services.

CSN New England reported Tuesday morning that Axelsson is exploring his NHL options this summer and according to Rob Simpson, a reporter at various outlets including NHL Network and NESN, the Flyers are indeed interested.

Axelsson played 797 NHL regular season games between 1997 and 2009, all with the Boston Bruins. He scored 103 goals and 187 assists in those games. He's played the last three seasons with Frolunda HC of the Swedish Elite League, where he's scored 16 goals and 38 assists in 149 games.

He's clearly not much of an offensive producer -- during his NHL career, Axelsson was a tough mostly defensive-minded forward. A very solid defensive forward. That's the thing: The Flyers don't really need another forward with a defensive brain. They have plenty of those guys at this point -- Sean Couturier, Max Talbot, Brayden Schenn, Ruslan Fedotenko.

If there's a hole they need to fill up front after the departures of Jaromir Jagr and James van Riemsdyk, it's with a guy who's going to help put pucks in the net, not a third-line winger.

That's not to say the Flyers shouldn't show interest at the right price or anything (while remembering that he's been out of the NHL for three years), but I'm just wondering out loud exactly where Axelsson would fit in on this Flyers team. He does have pretty fantastic hair though, so that's a plus.

I couldnt disagree more with the bolded. I have been craving a guy for the 3rd line. Lets keep Wellwood, Talbot, and Fedotenko right where they belong. On the 4th line. And while we are at it, let us make sure that Sestito, Rinaldo, and Shelley are not playing, let alone on that 3rd line wing spot.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Fed and Talbot finding time on the 3rd line wing throughout the year. Sestito should receive spot time on the 4th line during physical games. Unless Rinaldo can play under the radar I'm not sure that he can be effective anymore. Shelley should be dismissed....

PJ I don't think they need the guy I'd rather see the younger talent get a shot when players go down to injury.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck him bring Patrick Thoreson back that dude was tearing it up across seas and when he was here he never took a shift off. That said I have no idea how old he is now or even if he's still playing.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck him bring Patrick Thoreson back that dude was tearing it up across seas and when he was here he never took a shift off. That said I have no idea how old he is now or even if he's still playing.

RIP testacle.

dude was a warrior

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers interested in former Bruins forward P.J. Axelsson? - Broad Street Hockey

I couldnt disagree more with the bolded. I have been craving a guy for the 3rd line. Lets keep Wellwood, Talbot, and Fedotenko right where they belong. On the 4th line. And while we are at it, let us make sure that Sestito, Rinaldo, and Shelley are not playing, let alone on that 3rd line wing spot.

i agree w/ you.. i think it will help the defense a lot of the flyers have 2 really solid checking lines.. based on your 4th line, that leaves read, couturier, and axelsson as your 3rd line.. i think i'd switch axelsson and feds, but regardless, both lines would be very good defensively, and the 3rd line would still have some offensive pop too.. especially with read on the counter attack (same could be said about wellwood on teh counter attack too, granted, wellwood will have had to work on that shot of his..)