• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pitching

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So far our pitching has consisted of the big three of Cole, AJ, and Liriano being dominant, and then Worley and Locke being exactly what they are. Locke and Worley are basically the same pitcher throwing with different arms. That is ok, and not ok at the same time. We have a 4-3 record in their starts, which is really all you could ask for, but they are both also #5 type starters, which doesn't bode well for sustained performance as the season wears on. This really isn't about them though, so let me get to my actual points.

Cole, I am really beginning to think that this is what he is. It took about a year at the MLB level, but I believe the results that he has showed since his return from the DL last year. He is possibly one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball and rising. Barring injury, he has a legitimate shot at the Cy Young this year.

Liriano, likewise, I am pretty sure that this is the pitcher that he truly is. He has the ability to be the best left handed starter in the league on certain days, outside of Kershaw, and there are days where he will walk the entire team. Even on those days, he can still be dominant enough to, keep the opposition off the board.

That brings me to AJ. I believe that we have the good AJ, I don't think at this point there can be much question about that. The problem is that he is 38. Even though he keeps himself in good shape year around, he is going to wear down, it is just going to happen. This is what I believe is going to be our biggest problem. We have no one, in the majors or minors, that can replace him in the rotation and give us similar production. At least not this season. Kingham probably is never going to be the pitcher that AJ is, maybe for a season or parts of seasons, but never with the consistency, Taillon is at least two years away from being able to put up similar production, and Glasnow is even further away.

I believe that we have a good enough rotation to make it through the season and win the division, depending on the draw possibly even making it to the NLDS. The problem is that I don't believe that we have a good enough rotation to go up against Washington, and/or the Mets and have an advantage. I believe at some point, we need to find another starter and the sooner the better. I do not want to be in the elimination game round of the playoffs again this year, and getting a high end starter in here early would get him more starts for us, and presumably more wins. It would also give us the opportunity to be able to skip a start for AJ once a month, which I believe would keep him from wearing down.

I haven't really started looking around at other teams much to see who might become available, but I do know that the Brewers should start selling off pieces and I would give them a call on Peralta, he has the upside of a #2, but pitches mostly like a #3, still an upgrade over Worley and Locke, and with coaching could be so much better. I would love Hamels, but I have given up that fight, it just isn't going to happen. Outside of those two, I am not sure who would be out there at this point.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An actually healthy Morton will help to that end, since an actually healthy Morton is a 3/4 type. It would be nice to add another arm, but with Kingham almost ready, and the prospect of Morton returning productive from injury, I imagine they'll stay inside the organization if there isn't an emergency of some sort.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, on Cole, I agree. I know it's early, but his already-excellent K-rate is way up, his already-good walk rate is down, and his already better-than-average ground ball rate has skyrocketed into elite, all of which are very encouraging signs for sustained success.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Somewhat OT, Glasnow is at 70 pitches through 6 innings tonight. 7 k's and 1 hit. Pretty tidy line so far.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat OT, Glasnow is at 70 pitches through 6 innings tonight. 7 k's and 1 hit. Pretty tidy line so far.

When his command is on, he's un-on-base-able. When his command is off, he's still unhitable, but he gives up a few free base runners. Very exciting prospect, that one.

The Altoona rotation has been amazing in general this year, though. It's great to see.