• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pitchers are starting to ignore conventional wisdom- and it appears to be working

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times do you hear about a pitcher being commended for his usage of his changeup against the opposite-handed hitter? Felix Hernandez against lefties; Cole Hamels against righties. It appears that things are changing. Check out this graphic.
RightyvRightyChangeups.png
In 2007, righty on righty changeup percentage was just above 5%. Last year, righties threw it 6.50% of the time to righties, and this year, it looks to be around 6.60 or 6.70%. Is it working? Look at this graphic. (EDIT: Graphic won't display)
script><div class='tableauPlaceholder' style='width: 604px; height: 709px;'><noscript><a href='http:&

Swinging strike percentage on the pitch vs. righties is 21% this year, up from 17% last year and 13% in 2009. Ground-ball rates are also at their highest in the last three years in the PITCHf/x era.

So what does this mean? It is too small a sample size- righties may just be surprised at seeing a pitch they've never seen and could adjust in the next 10 years. But I think it intuitively makes sense. There is no reason I can think of as to why to RHP can't throw changeups against righties. When placed right, it can look like a fastball that will just fall off the plate. I am curious to see if hitters will adjust or if we will see a lasting change in how pitchers throw their changeups, or even sliders, to left-handed and right-handed batters.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The changeup has always been the most underrated pitch in the game (for the reasons you already mentioned).

Plus something that is breaking down and in on the same side hitter is tough to get up in the air.