• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Picked up the Wilson Triton Driver

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had an R1 that you could tweak the hell out of and it ended up being too much for me. I am the kind of player where I want to fix my swing instead of adjusting the club to what I am doing, so I had to change it up.

there are times where I would rather just take out my 3W and lose a couple yards and gain accuracy though. My driver just isn't accurate. I don't think I am hitting the ball flush the pulling the club in when I make contact, which is where the giant slice is coming from.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds a little like myself...prior to the real estate crash and this office job, I played and practiced golf a lot. Played 2-3 times a week, had lessons, and was hitting balls/chipping etc. another 2+ days...(my wife grew to hate golf I think as a result) and the best I got was an 8 index...out of every 10 rounds maybe 2 or 3 would be in the high 70s and the rest low-mid 80s...but I just hit a wall.

At least as far as golf is concerned, the Recession was probably for the best...I had to put my clubs down for a while and figure out how to make money in that economy. About 5 yrs ago I started back playing regularly. Now as a once a week player I have a totally different outlook...physically I've got a gimpy right knee, and back issues so I just can't hit as many ball like I once did.

The game still can be frustrating at times, but I don't bring it home like I used do. I do empathy for you though...it's a great game, and I've seen guys go through knee and hip replacements just to keep playing.

As Ben Franklin once said, "Aging wine is wonderful, aging myself, not so."

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I'd argue the equipment is half the fun of playing golf. My old driver was starting to fall apart and just needed a new one. Playing with better equipment is always more fun.

I bogey most holes, which I'm typically happy with. If I get a few pars on the day then I feel accomplished. In a weird way, since I don't really play in any official capacity, I tend to treat golf as an individual hole game rather than a collective 18 hole game. If I get a birdie, then my day has been an overwhelming success even if I shot 7's one the rest of the holes.

But ultimately, as "people" always say, golf is just a good walk ruined lol.
IMO for the casual golfer a rangefinder is probably the only toy worth getting. Once you know how far you actually hit your clubs you'll improve your score a lot.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had an R1 that you could tweak the hell out of and it ended up being too much for me. I am the kind of player where I want to fix my swing instead of adjusting the club to what I am doing, so I had to change it up.

there are times where I would rather just take out my 3W and lose a couple yards and gain accuracy though. My driver just isn't accurate. I don't think I am hitting the ball flush the pulling the club in when I make contact, which is where the giant slice is coming from.
Your hands are probably "behind" your hips in a timing sense. Try getting a little further into swing before you turn on it.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your hands are probably "behind" your hips in a timing sense. Try getting a little further into swing before you turn on it.
easier said than done. I have been trying to fix it for years.

regardless, my Callaway XR16 has been more forgiving...I still have to figure out how to fix my swing though.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO for the casual golfer a rangefinder is probably the only toy worth getting. Once you know how far you actually hit your clubs you'll improve your score a lot.
We went to this golfcourse in northern Michigan, RedHawk, and their carts actually had a GPS system and touch screen in them. So you could see how far your cart was from the hole but you could also touch the screen and it would tell you how far to that specific point. So you could touch the corner of the bend on a particular hole and get exactly how many yards it was away. It was fantastic.

I have a basic app on my phone that does kind of the same but but on cheaper courses it often doesn't have course specifics.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We went to this golfcourse in northern Michigan, RedHawk, and their carts actually had a GPS system and touch screen in them. So you could see how far your cart was from the hole but you could also touch the screen and it would tell you how far to that specific point. So you could touch the corner of the bend on a particular hole and get exactly how many yards it was away. It was fantastic.

I have a basic app on my phone that does kind of the same but but on cheaper courses it often doesn't have course specifics.
That's pretty neat. I haven't been to a course with that yet. The problem with the apps and watches is that the location can be anywhere from 10-15 yards off which isn't very helpful if you're somewhat close to a club up/down.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty neat. I haven't been to a course with that yet. The problem with the apps and watches is that the location can be anywhere from 10-15 yards off which isn't very helpful if you're somewhat close to a club up/down.
It was pretty awesome
carWithHoleview_1-lowRes.jpg

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played in a scramble this past weekend for the Michigan Wrestling team and my new driver was killing it man. I didn't have time to take it to a range to hit it before hand but from the very first drive it immediately fixed almost everything wrong with my drives. Almost 0 left or right curve, just dead straight drives. Out of the 18 holes, 3 of which were par 3, I probably had the best drive of our group on 9 of the holes. Just absolutely changed my game.

Now, if I could just figure out how to hit my long irons and hybrids consistently.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played in a scramble this past weekend for the Michigan Wrestling team and my new driver was killing it man. I didn't have time to take it to a range to hit it before hand but from the very first drive it immediately fixed almost everything wrong with my drives. Almost 0 left or right curve, just dead straight drives. Out of the 18 holes, 3 of which were par 3, I probably had the best drive of our group on 9 of the holes. Just absolutely changed my game.

Now, if I could just figure out how to hit my long irons and hybrids consistently.

if you start hitting your long irons straight, then another part of your game needs to go to shit. It's just the way it is.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you start hitting your long irons straight, then another part of your game needs to go to shit. It's just the way it is.
I've always struggled the most with my long irons/hybrids. I just can't connect with them correctly and end up pulling them to the left. My 6-9 irons I hit fine. Driver has always been OK. I'm great at chipping. But man, give me a 3-4 iron/hybrid and that thing is soaring into the woods.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

game of frustration.

My first lesson ever is tomorrow... time to see how fucked up my swing really is.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most important thing is getting the right shaft.

There are a hundred heads out there these days that will crush the golf ball, but everyone’s swing is different and the shaft is really the only thing that matters.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a new set of Wilson D300 irons to go with my driver for xmas. From everything I read they're great at helping fix some issues and improve people's handicap. Here's to hoping they can shave a stroke or two off a hole here or there. Certainly an improvement over the junk set I've been using since high school that I bought at Dicks for like $150.