• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Philadelphia Flyers at St. Louis Blues 4/1/14 | 8:00pm

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers on the penalty kill - need a kill

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overtime!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shootout!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a special place in hell for shootouts. That was a solid ass point, and a great two losses. I'm feeling fine

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn shame the game had to come down to that - Flyers played toe to toe with the Blues from start to finish

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This won't be popular but that was a total shit game for the Flyers on the offensives side of the puck.

The good thing Is they played solid defense and Emery was awesome until the gayest thing in all of sports, the shoot out.

The Flyers were exceptionally weak on offense. They had like maybe 6 out of 30 shots that were more then 4 inches off the ice. They couldn't do shit on odd man rushes because everyone wanted to make a pretty pass. The most frustrating thing though was it was absolutely impossible to get a shot through from the point but instead of switching up the attack to work off the half boards the idiots just kept shooting, getting blocked and giving the blues rushes. I blame the coaching staff for the lack of adjustment because it was obvious to anyone with a brain (IMO) that the blues knew the flyers game plan. Oh yea and if the Flyers aren't going to pass to McGinn at all don't play him, it's way easier to cover 4 guys then 5.

This was another statement game to show we could win a cup and I think it's a reality check that we can't because there's only one gear to the game plan.

I'm sorry but this game really pisses me off because it shows in detail all the Flyers weaknesses, the worst being lack of adaptability.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This won't be popular but that was a total shit game for the Flyers on the offensives side of the puck.

The good thing Is they played solid defense and Emery was awesome until the gayest thing in all of sports, the shoot out.

The Flyers were exceptionally weak on offense. They had like maybe 6 out of 30 shots that were more then 4 inches off the ice. They couldn't do shit on odd man rushes because everyone wanted to make a pretty pass. The most frustrating thing though was it was absolutely impossible to get a shot through from the point but instead of switching up the attack to work off the half boards the idiots just kept shooting, getting blocked and giving the blues rushes. I blame the coaching staff for the lack of adjustment because it was obvious to anyone with a brain (IMO) that the blues knew the flyers game plan. Oh yea and if the Flyers aren't going to pass to McGinn at all don't play him, it's way easier to cover 4 guys then 5.

This was another statement game to show we could win a cup and I think it's a reality check that we can't because there's only one gear to the game plan.

I'm sorry but this game really pisses me off because it shows in detail all the Flyers weaknesses, the worst being lack of adaptability.

I didn't like their faceoffs, that needs to improve - and maybe a couple of times they should have shot the puck(G for example) but I think they also had some grade A scoring chances and just couldn't bury them - it was a sloppy game on both sides

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like their faceoffs, that needs to improve - and maybe a couple of times they should have shot the puck(G for example) but I think they also had some grade A scoring chances and just couldn't bury them - it was a sloppy game on both sides

They did having scoring chances and they would have been great ones if like any 9 year old knows how to do they had lifted the fucking puck. Their face off setup is atrocious without timonen. I actually think the blues played well, they hit post but easily gained the zone and set up on the PP which were things the flyers couldn't do to save their lives. I agree G & Jake need to start shooting or the team should fine them, it's ridiculous that they don't shoot as professional hockey players. Oh yea and for fucks sakes permanently bench or cut Gus he's fucking useless and just gets out muscled every time the puck is in his vincinity.

As I said I blame the coaches for the loss for the most part they need to be better with adapting but some blame lies directly on the players (G in particular) for not stepping up and pointing out what they were doing wasn't working. Im so pissed because this comes after a blown game against the Bruins where they didn't get out played but they out coached us and it happened again tonight IMO. This team can not I repeat CAN NOT go to shoot outs using the staff they do without dedicating practice time (which is severely limited) to it. Now thankfully there are no shoot outs I'm the playoffs but it won't matter if they're being out coached. This is so fucking frustrating because of how talented they are and this is by far the best team we've had since 97 way better then the team in 2010 since we actually have 3 pairings of defenseman and competent goalies so it disgust me that stubborn coaching could piss this opportunity away.

And yes I'm being overly critical on purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did having scoring chances and they would have been great ones if like any 9 year old knows how to do they had lifted the fucking puck. Their face off setup is atrocious without timonen. I actually think the blues played well, they hit post but easily gained the zone and set up on the PP which were things the flyers couldn't do to save their lives. I agree G & Jake need to start shooting or the team should fine them, it's ridiculous that they don't shoot as professional hockey players. Oh yea and for fucks sakes permanently bench or cut Gus he's fucking useless and just gets out muscled every time the puck is in his vincinity.

As I said I blame the coaches for the loss for the most part they need to be better with adapting but some blame lies directly on the players (G in particular) for not stepping up and pointing out what they were doing wasn't working. Im so pissed because this comes after a blown game against the Bruins where they didn't get out played but they out coached us and it happened again tonight IMO. This team can not I repeat CAN NOT go to shoot outs using the staff they do without dedicating practice time (which is severely limited) to it. Now thankfully there are no shoot outs I'm the playoffs but it won't matter if they're being out coached. This is so fucking frustrating because of how talented they are and this is by far the best team we've had since 97 way better then the team in 2010 since we actually have 3 pairings of defenseman and competent goalies so it disgust me that stubborn coaching could piss this opportunity away.

And yes I'm being overly critical on purpose.

How did the Flyers get outcoached or didn't adapt tonight? It was a 0-0 game and it was a tight game between both teams - that's not getting outcoached - and the Flyers adapted in this game, they played strong defensively and they've shown this season that if they have to play a tight defensive game they will and if they have to play a back and forth offensive game they can - how is that not adapting?

There were some times where the Flyers could have been better but they did what they had to do, that's what happens in games - I know people want them to practice shootouts but if you take care of business in 60-65 minutes you don't have to worry about that - and it wasn't necessarily the shooters that were the problem, Ray Emery just isn't very good in shootouts and that's been the case in his career - not much you can do about that at this point

Flyers will probably be three points back of the Rangers after tonight but with two games in hand - if the Flyers take care of their business they'll be fine - the main focus should be Columbus on Thursday, that game is big

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did the Flyers get outcoached or didn't adapt tonight? It was a 0-0 game and it was a tight game between both teams - that's not getting outcoached - and the Flyers adapted in this game, they played strong defensively and they've shown this season that if they have to play a tight defensive game they will and if they have to play a back and forth offensive game they can - how is that not adapting?

There were some times where the Flyers could have been better but they did what they had to do, that's what happens in games - I know people want them to practice shootouts but if you take care of business in 60-65 minutes you don't have to worry about that - and it wasn't necessarily the shooters that were the problem, Ray Emery just isn't very good in shootouts and that's been the case in his career - not much you can do about that at this point

Flyers will probably be three points back of the Rangers after tonight but with two games in hand - if the Flyers take care of their business they'll be fine - the main focus should be Columbus on Thursday, that game is big

I'm going to preface this response by saying I'm having a horrible day so maybe I am letting that affect my assessment of this game. I'm actually having a rough few weeks so I've really been super looking forward to the Flyers games much more the usual lately.

As far as why I feel they've been out coached the last 2 games is the following. They are having extreme problems getting into the opposing teams defensive zone and the other teams are gaining entry into ours with relative ease. Both the Bruins and Blues were able to both setup on their PP opportunities while the Flyers have not been able to do the same against the types on teams we will need to beat to win the cup & yes this is me saying I think we have a legitimate chance to win it (making me glad I made a $1,000 bet when the odds were something ridiculous like 30+:1 after their horrible start, I made the bet after G's first goal bye). I would like to say I'm a big Chief fan his system is great as long as you're scoring, if not there's no contingency(changing the style of offensive attack)to change attack styles other the juggle lines. For example the Blues coverage around the face-off dots in their zone was horrendous so why not instead of taking low % & repeated shots that were being blocked from the point why didn't they have the W's circle from behind the net to this open area and rip off on timers or quick off angle shots with the other F's looking for rebounds this might have also re-opened the points to be viable options. Another thing Berube doesn't do frequently enough is try to thrown off opponents when they get last change by double shifting a productive line or sitting them a shift to get a better personal matchup, that's solely on the coaches. The shoot out comment is valid but G should always lead off then it should be Jake (maybe it'll encourage him to shot since he can't pass :-p ) & I think Couturier should be the third guy because he's so patient with the puck.

The other thing I don't like is how the Flyers don't dictate how the game will be played more often but I think by next year this will be fixed and the Flyers will be executing what I feel is the best system for the current rules.

This is also about confidence at this point, this was an extremely fragile team a few short months ago and had we knocked off the Blues twice to add to 2 wins against both the Pens & Caps not to mention beating the Hawks, Dallas the Rags, Kings, Sharks, Avs, Leafs & hopefully picking up wins against the Blue Jackets, Lightning, Bruins & Pens all inside a 9 week hockey schedule would make them not only one of the hottest but best 2nd half teams in the league and that how LA won their cup in 2012.

I know this may be false hope but all the signs are there for me to see my first big parade after missing out in 2010. I just feel we're at the point in the season where any al all mistakes despite how minuscule need to be looked at and addressed. I really truly believe if they made changes in their offensive attack we could have won the game or at the very least re-opened the points as a viable option.

Sorry Cobie if you think I'm purposely being an asshole, I mean I am naturally an asshole but I'm not trying to be one now or argumentative. I'm just pointed out what I saw and I'm in full no mistake playoff mode. So :suds: cheers my friend and LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of our inability to be up 2-0 or 3-0 after one period as we should have, that was a giant point. It leaves us with a full four point edge and solid tiebreaker lead over the Jackets entering this critical game thursday night. If they have any thoughts of being a top three seed or not the bottom wild card, then it is a must-win for them. If we have any thoughts of solidifying a top three seed or challenging for the second seed, then it's a must-win for us as well. Should be one hell of a game.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought the ice was miserable...seems that both teams were struggling with it.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the game could just as easily have gone into the shootout 2-2 as 0-0, with 2 great shoulda-coulda-woulda Flyer chances in the 1st and 2 Blues shots off the post in the 2nd.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomorrow's game vs Columbus is HUGE. If the Flyers can't get up for it and play a solid 60 minutes of hockey they don't deserve the playoffs. Period.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 60 plus minutes i was looking for i was impressed with our team last night.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back to back shootout losses against the two best teams in the league? i'll take it.

6-2-2 against

pittsburgh
pittsburgh
chicago
dallas
st louis
LA
NYR
toronto
boston
st louis

thats pretty damn good. just gotta keep it rollin

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone earlier mentioned the poor ice conditions which may have been the cause, but after the Flyers barrage in the first 5 minutes I thought both teams played a very sloppy game. I wasn't impressed with either team.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back to back shootout losses against the two best teams in the league? i'll take it.

6-2-2 against

pittsburgh
pittsburgh
chicago
dallas
st louis
LA
NYR
toronto
boston
st louis

EXACTLY. Can anybody honestly say that they would be disappointed with 3 out of 4 points against the Blues the past 2 weeks? Didn't think so...

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

6-2-2 against

pittsburgh
pittsburgh
chicago
dallas
st louis
LA
NYR
toronto
boston
st louis

This is definately impressive but .....
Unless something changes the only games that really matter is winning 4 out of 7 from the Rags.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is definately impressive but .....
Unless something changes the only games that really matter is winning 4 out of 7 from the Rags.

Those aren't the only games that matter

This rest of the season is about making every effort to get the second seed because that's really important - and continuing to create good habits because these games can spring board them into the playoffs - every game is important and matters