• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Islanders 1/20/14 | 1:00pm

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haha.

• Emery kept us in this game. Every shot he should have stopped, he saved. SEVERAL shots he shouldn't have, he saved as well. The Isles had 43 shots on net, and Emery stopped 40 of them. I know Mason's spoiled us a bit this year, but I'll still take a .930 save percentage any day of the week.
  • Downie and Lecavs are not doing it for us, I'll agree. Confused about Vinny; he started the season as our only forward playing at all, and now he's just not at that same level. Wonder if he's still hurt?
  • The Flyers really do need to put teams away - we haven't won a game by more than two in three weeks.

i don't think we need to wonder at all, Vinny is playing through back pain and I personally cannot wait for the all star break to get him back healthy.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice how when the Flyers started Steve Mason on the road in Vancouver, he gave up three goals but they won in the shootout because of his ability to actually make a save in the shootout? That's the big difference I'm talking about - Razor wasn't bad in the 65 minutes but the shootout is like a blur, it means a heck of a lot and when a goalie can make stops in the shootout, it's huge - Razor gave them no shot to win with a bad shootout

This whole thing about being comfortable with Steve Mason at home and Razor on the road has to stop - Flyers are going to have tough games on the road at some point and Mase is going to need to be in there - I'm not questioning Mase's ability at all, it's more of a stupid line of thinking from Chief

i really don't think it has as much to do with home/away, it has more to do with back to backs i think. the isles are, theoretically, the easier start, in this back to back set. whether or not you agree w/ that is debatable, but i think that's the reason. emery and mase were each going to get one, berube opted for mase to take the team that's higher in the standings. i have no problem w/ that. especially considering the flyers are something ridiculous like 31-3-3 in their last 37 against the isles.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really don't think it has as much to do with home/away, it has more to do with back to backs i think. the isles are, theoretically, the easier start, in this back to back set. whether or not you agree w/ that is debatable, but i think that's the reason. emery and mase were each going to get one, berube opted for mase to take the team that's higher in the standings. i have no problem w/ that. especially considering the flyers are something ridiculous like 31-3-3 in their last 37 against the isles.

I understand that, but what about the games Razor started in Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Chicago, Columbus and the Rangers? Only game they won out of those five was in Pittsburgh - doesn't that contradict the theory about putting Mase in the games where the teams are higher in the standings?

Basically what I'm saying is, at some point, the Flyers will need to ride Mase and there will be late season road games, maybe even in back to backs, and they're going to need Mase to start because he's clearly the better goalie

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that, but what about the games Razor started in Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Chicago, Columbus and the Rangers? Only game they won out of those five was in Pittsburgh - doesn't that contradict the theory about putting Mase in the games where the teams are higher in the standings?

Basically what I'm saying is, at some point, the Flyers will need to ride Mase and there will be late season road games, maybe even in back to backs, and they're going to need Mase to start because he's clearly the better goalie

i agree, at some point they will need to ride mase, but i don't think that time is now. however, for all we know, berube plans on starting mase from here until the olympic break. there are no back to back games, and 6 of the 9 are playoff teams, and 2 of the 3 non-playoff teams are right on the flyers heels (canes/bjs). perfect opportunity to ride your main guy, and yesterday was a perfect opportunity to rest your main guy considering the flyers domination of the isles and the back to back with today.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus he's only started 14/50 games for the flyers, that's not that much. mase has had the bulk of the work

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving the Islanders six power plays lost us this game. All three of their goals were a direct result of a power play opportunity. It's a damn shame, because it spoiled what were strong games by guys like Read, Couturier, Emery, Coburn and Timonen. That's another point we squandered that should've been in the bag.

While it is frustrating, we nearly did beat a very hot team twice in a home and home and we did take 3 out of a possible 4 points (and games in the season series) from them. The NYI have recently beaten Tampa, Colorado, Dallas (twice), Chicago and Boston. Most of those games were on the road too, so they are rolling. We're certainly rooting for them tonight against the NYR.