• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Knight's Money Can't Make Oregon Elite

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://deadspin.com/phil-knights-money-couldnt-keep-oregon-out-of-college-f-1828059887

College football—any sport really, but especially college sports—does not have a long memory. Shiny recruiting classes fade and go their separate ways, once-great coaches are fired after a couple bad seasons, top-25 programs become afterthoughts with one postseason miss, shitty coaches are rehired after sitting out a couple years. It’s the way of the college football world and it ain’t going to change anytime soon, not even for Phil Knight and his precious Ducks.

Oregon has been down in the dumps for three years now and I’m not quite sure they’re done wallowing in the slop. Last season was an improvement over their 4-8 2016 season, sure. Head coach Willie Taggart came to town, iced out reporters for no good reason and hired defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt, a man who knows college defense and how to get away with grabbing players by the throat and slapping them. With a quarterback in his second year and an improved defense, the Ducks finished 7-6, losing to Boise State in their bowl game.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dem unis doe...
gettyimages-121571640.jpg

gettyimages-185388912.jpg

brown.jpg

2007-unis.jpg

OregonLewisClark.jpg

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://deadspin.com/phil-knights-money-couldnt-keep-oregon-out-of-college-f-1828059887

College football—any sport really, but especially college sports—does not have a long memory. Shiny recruiting classes fade and go their separate ways, once-great coaches are fired after a couple bad seasons, top-25 programs become afterthoughts with one postseason miss, shitty coaches are rehired after sitting out a couple years. It’s the way of the college football world and it ain’t going to change anytime soon, not even for Phil Knight and his precious Ducks.

Oregon has been down in the dumps for three years now and I’m not quite sure they’re done wallowing in the slop. Last season was an improvement over their 4-8 2016 season, sure. Head coach Willie Taggart came to town, iced out reporters for no good reason and hired defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt, a man who knows college defense and how to get away with grabbing players by the throat and slapping them. With a quarterback in his second year and an improved defense, the Ducks finished 7-6, losing to Boise State in their bowl game.
it bought Willie a new Caddilac

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Oregon's problems are related to Helfrich. Nice guy, but he was not good enough to lead a major college program. He had no team culture and his recruiting and recruiting technique was poor. Taggert started turning around both issues but left for his dream job. Right now we seem to be building a strong team culture again and recruiting is very strong.

As to getting back in to being a PAC-12 contender, we need to add depth and avoid the massive amount of injuries we had last year that exposed those depth issues. This was the same problem we had when Brooks and Belloti coached in that we had good enough starting talent but needed more depth to absorb injuries and the like. Kelley added speed and innovation along with the depth we needed and built a very strong team.

So we're on the right path at present. Probably see 8 to 10 wins this year and keep getting deeper. I have a very good feeling about this team right now.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all about the coaching hire. Sadly, Im not sure they have it right just yet.

Give them a couple more years and they’ll have two more tries.

And I get it. Nebraska’s been hiring the wrong guy for a while.
Edit. But things are looking good now

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe around Joe Flacco elite level

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Oregon's problems are related to Helfrich. Nice guy, but he was not good enough to lead a major college program. He had no team culture and his recruiting and recruiting technique was poor. Taggert started turning around both issues but left for his dream job. Right now we seem to be building a strong team culture again and recruiting is very strong.

As to getting back in to being a PAC-12 contender, we need to add depth and avoid the massive amount of injuries we had last year that exposed those depth issues. This was the same problem we had when Brooks and Belloti coached in that we had good enough starting talent but needed more depth to absorb injuries and the like. Kelley added speed and innovation along with the depth we needed and built a very strong team.

So we're on the right path at present. Probably see 8 to 10 wins this year and keep getting deeper. I have a very good feeling about this team right now.

"So we're on the right path at present. Probably see 8 to 10 wins this year and keep getting deeper. I have a very good feeling about this team right now."

Not sure how you can say that when Mario Christobal's overall record as a head coach is (27 - 48)?

I assume there's quite a bit of hype coming out of the program since December, through spring ball, and now leading into fall camp. However, you see the same hype "we're gonna do this, we're gonna do that" in every program during the off-season.
It's to get the fan base excited and sell tickets, jerseys, decor, etc.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"So we're on the right path at present. Probably see 8 to 10 wins this year and keep getting deeper. I have a very good feeling about this team right now."

Not sure how you can say that when Mario Christobal's overall record as a head coach is (27 - 48)?

I assume there's quite a bit of hype coming out of the program since December, through spring ball, and now leading into fall camp. However, you see the same hype "we're gonna do this, we're gonna do that" in every program during the off-season.

Easy. We have 3 high school teams in non conference play. Add to it, we're a decent team aside. I have researched Mario's head coaching jobs and I am not concerned aside from1 thing. I know he wants to really tweak the offense and this concerns me. But we shall see.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy. We have 3 high school teams in non conference play. Add to it, we're a decent team aside. I have researched Mario's head coaching jobs and I am not concerned aside from1 thing. I know he wants to really tweak the offense and this concerns me. But we shall see.

Just saying his history shows he hasn't been able to put the pieces together. That is critical to being an elite coach and getting a team to play at an elite level.
Blopleeny could win 9 or 10 games a year, make it to a bowl, etc. However, he could never get the pieces put together, get people lined up right, and playing crisp.
He was not an elite coach and likely will never be.
As I said, the quotes and hype by coaches, admin, and local media are to bring excitement to the upcoming season, sell tickets, apparal, etc.
Been there, done that.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying his history shows he hasn't been able to put the pieces together. That is critical to being an elite coach and getting a team to play at an elite level.
Blopleeny could win 9 or 10 games a year, make it to a bowl, etc. However, he could never get the pieces put together, get people lined up right, and playing crisp.
He was not an elite coach and likely will never be.
As I said, the quotes and hype by coaches, admin, and local media are hype to bring excitement to the upcoming season, sell tickets, apparal, etc.
Been there, done that.

Well, he had shitty programs. I mean, I see your point. I think it's one made with crappy and insufficient evidence, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, time will tell. I do know the players were 100% for him being elevated to head coach and he has a pretty good coaching staff. At this time I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he ends up being like some of UW's head coaches in recent history, then this won't work out.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oregon has one of the weakest schedules in the top 40 teams. The only two teams with an easier SoS in all of the projected top 40 is Wisconsin and Boise State.

8 wins on that schedule is akin to 5-6 on most other schedules. It really would be a total melt down to not reach at least 8. And Herbert is more than good enough to tear up any average/below average secondary, even if you don't want to buy into their defense. 10 might be a bit ambitious, but 8-9 should be expected.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he had shitty programs. I mean, I see your point. I think it's one made with crappy and insufficient evidence, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, time will tell. I do know the players were 100% for him being elevated to head coach and he has a pretty good coaching staff. At this time I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he ends up being like some of UW's head coaches in recent history, then this won't work out.

I think (7-6) being his best record in 5 years at a G5 is sufficient evidence.

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think (7-6) being his best record in 5 years at a G5 is sufficient evidence.

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................................................................

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon has one of the weakest schedules in the top 40 teams. The only two teams with an easier SoS in all of the projected top 40 is Wisconsin and Boise State.

8 wins on that schedule is akin to 5-6 on most other schedules. It really would be a total melt down to not reach at least 8. And Herbert is more than good enough to tear up any average/below average secondary, even if you don't want to buy into their defense. 10 might be a bit ambitious, but 8-9 should be expected.

Regardless of this season's schedule, I'm more looking toward the future of Oregon's program. Is this the guy to get them back to Top 10 level going forward?

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OMG!!! And look who's talking. The Huskies took the weakest SOS into a BCS championship series in history and you're banging on us this season????

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

blazer prophet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of this season's schedule, I'm more looking toward the future of Oregon's program. Is this the guy to get them back to Top 10 level going forward?

We shall see. I share your concerns but so far everything is looking good. Great recruiting. Holding coaches responsible. Creating a positive culture. If we stay fairly healthy and win less than 8 games I'll be like a Nebraska fan and Riley.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are ignoring all the wins he has had at Oregon.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................................................................

My bad...The (7-6) was his 3rd season. He went (8-5) his 4th season.

If he were building anything he'd have maintained the (7-6), (8-5) level or even gotten to (9-4) or better in year 5.
However, they fell to (3-9). That is backwards.