• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Jackson as VP, Talks w/ 3-4 Teams

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the SF Chronicle earlier today:

"I've had some talks with people," Jackson said, "and there are some interesting situations that are presenting themselves, but I really haven't made up my mind yet what I'm going to do. None of it involves coaching. ... There are three or four teams that have been interested."

The author runs thew a few possibilities:

-- The Kings. If Chris Hansen buys 'em and moves the team to Seattle, Jackson might be driving the moving van.

-- The Nets. Jackson's New York connection is strong, and the Nets' owner thinks (and pays) big.

-- The Bobcats. Michael Jordan keeps insisting he's done with the personnel biz. Jordan and Jackson are acquainted.

-- The Cavaliers. Building a Kyrie Irving-led team to take on mighty Miami and evil Dr. Riley might stir Jackson's juices.

-- The Clippers. Jackson might like the idea of unseating the Lakers as kings of Los Angeles sports. However, Jackson and Clips owner Donald Sterling are probably a terrible mix, philosophically.

-- The Lakers. Ripe for major makeover under a proven and beloved man.

Myself, I'm extremely bias but I couldn't see Phil marrying Jeanie only to travel all the time to see her, when he abhors traveling. Jim Buss would be wise to cede some say-so in the management triangle void left behind by Dr. B's passing; could alleviate some of the pressure on him publicly. And I don't buy the notion that Phil is a poor player personnel guy, because he had say-so in his previous stints with the Lakers and those teams did very well last I checked.

Another interesting thing to think about is, what would his coaching staff look like? Tex Winter is about as underrated as they come, but I've heard names like B. Shaw, K. Rambis, B. Scott, even S. Pippen thrown out there for no matter where Phil winds up.

Read more: Phil Jackson: Zen master to general manager? - San Francisco Chronicle

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets and Clippers are the best options

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the kings if they move to seattle.....then he can be closer to his ranch in montana where he eats his peyote :D

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he should go to the nets... I remember before he wanted to be in new York before he decided to go back with the Lakers.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he should go to the nets... I remember before he wanted to be in new York before he decided to go back with the Lakers.

Why would he want to live in NY when Jeanie is in LA? That's important, right?

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite the past beef Phil has had with Sterling, trading barbs in the paper, I could see Phil wind up with the Clips. They have attractive pieces, and will probably need to retool once MEM knocks them out.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Phoenix is going to swing at him... They cut ties with their GM, interim coach... Phil can take over right now and it's pretty close to LA... At least that's my take... No way he's back with the Lakers unfortunately...

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Phoenix is going to swing at him... They cut ties with their GM, interim coach... Phil can take over right now and it's pretty close to LA... At least that's my take... No way he's back with the Lakers unfortunately...

Boy that's a lopsided trade: Phil Jackson for Mike D'Antoni and a 40-year-old Steve Nash.

Can we get some cash incentives thrown in that deal?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite the past beef Phil has had with Sterling, trading barbs in the paper, I could see Phil wind up with the Clips. They have attractive pieces, and will probably need to retool once MEM knocks them out.

I don't think the notoriously cheap Sterling would fork over what it would probably take to get Phil. I still think it was mistake for the Lakers not to resign him back in November. They do have a few extra million back in the bank with Brown going back to Cleveland. Perhaps this bridge gets repaired.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why an owner would throw huge cash at Phil to be their GM / VP when he's never held that position before.

Not saying he would be bad, but at least make him prove to be somewhat successful at the postion before paying him big bucks. Put lots of $$ incentives in the contract.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why an owner would throw huge cash at Phil to be their GM / VP when he's never held that position before.

Not saying he would be bad, but at least make him prove to be somewhat successful at the postion before paying him big bucks. Put lots of $$ incentives in the contract.

I think he'd get more offered to him than anyone else who hasn't held that position simply based on his coaching reputation. He clearly understands the game of basketball. How that transfers to his ability to be a competent GM is obviously unknown. I doubt PJ goes somewhere for peanuts and incentives though.

dacey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would add the Detroit Pistons as a possible landing place for Phil Jackson. Pistons owner Tom Gores lives in Los Angeles and has had courtside seats to Lakers games for many years. He knows Phil Jackson and is willing to spend money to make the Pistons a winner.

TexasWes

Seer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post BRS. I don't think his wife's location is as important in this as others do. Not saying that he doesn't want to be with her...or that he doesn't hate traveling. This job is different. It's VP...not coaching. VP's don't HAVE to be with the team. The modern miracle of the internet/VTC enables CEO's to run businesses from geographically disjointed locations. Phil could do "most" of this job from LA.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Phil had considerable say in player personnel decisions during both of his previous stints in Los Angeles, and those teams won titles so I think he might have a clue what he's doing in that regard. In fact, Phil's involvement in those decisions is what drove Jerry West out of town.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know why they even MENTIONED Cleveland in the article. NOBODY wants to go there that has any sense whatsoever.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know why they even MENTIONED Cleveland in the article. NOBODY wants to go there that has any sense whatsoever.

Agree. I think the only real possibilities are CHA, SEA, or LAL.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During Game 3, Howard's girlfriend Christine Vest tweeted: "Officially can't stand D'Antoni." Then when someone asked her if she could coach the team, Vest replied: "noooo lol Phil can tho."

Not too far fetched to believe Howard wants Phil in LA, plus we know Kobe wants Phil back based on his recent tweets, so the only real question left is whether Phil wants to go there IMO.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil had considerable say in player personnel decisions during both of his previous stints in Los Angeles, and those teams won titles so I think he might have a clue what he's doing in that regard. In fact, Phil's involvement in those decisions is what drove Jerry West out of town.
But he was on the bench "coaching" those players as well.... to where now he would be watching from above.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he was on the bench "coaching" those players as well.... to where now he would be watching from above.

Don't see how that makes any difference in assessing talent.