• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFT's postseason awards

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. Defensive Player of the Year.

Winner: Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs.

Runner-up: Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.

Honorable mention: Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, 49ers defensive lineman Justin Smith, Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware.

4. Coach of the Year.

Winner: Jim Harbaugh, 49ers.

Runner-up: Mike McCarthy, Packers.

Honorable mention: Gary Kubiak, Texans; Marvin Lewis, Bengals; Jim Schwartz, Lions; Bill Belichick, Patriots; John Fox, Broncos.

7. Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Winner: Broncos linebacker Von Miller.

Runner-up: 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith.

Honorable mention: Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, Redskins linebacker Ryan Kerrigan.

8. Executive of the Year.

Winner: Bengals president Mike Brown.

Runner-up: 49ers G.M. Trent Baalke.

Honorable mention: Lions G.M. Martin Mayhew, Texans G.M. Rick Smith.

PFT’s postseason awards | ProFootballTalk

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trent Baalke's 7 win improvement is more impressive than Mike Brown's 6 win improvement.

Baalke also had to hire a new HC.

Had arguably the best draft in 2011.

Turned pennies into nickels during FA.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ripping off the raiders gives him the edge tho.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baalke's 2011 draft (Smith, Miller, Culliver, Hunter, etc) and his scouting and hiring of Harbaugh (The Head Coach of The Year) makes him a lock in my mind - but then I'm a 49er fan so I might be bias... ;)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And a 2013 second rounder.

oh ok.

so Palmer for a 2012 1st rounder (#17), plus a 2013 2nd rounder (likely middle rounder?). Palmer played ok but not consistently, granted he came in 'middle of the season'.

ok good deal for Cinncinatti, but wouldn't call it 'rip off'? need to see what Palmer does in 2012?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders only giving up their 2012 1st rounder? the conditional part wasn't reached.

palmer was damaged goods. getting anything close to a 1st rounder was funny as hell. and being the raiders makes it so much more funny

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
palmer was damaged goods. getting anything close to a 1st rounder was funny as hell. and being the raiders makes it so much more funny

I don't see how a trade that does nothing to improve your 2011 team gets you the executive of the year award.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon should win. Miller got benched last game. He hasn't been the same since injuring his thumb.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how a trade that does nothing to improve your 2011 team gets you the executive of the year award.

executives should be graded on not just this season but moves that they make to help the team in the future. it was one of the best trades of the past few years. not only that, but he took what could have been a horrible season and he restocked the talent that he lost.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
executives should be graded on not just this season but moves that they make to help the team in the future. it was one of the best trades of the past few years. not only that, but he took what could have been a horrible season and he restocked the talent that he lost.

We don't even know who they're taking as of yet. If Taylor Mays trade works out in the end and the 49ers get an all-pro player, how do we evaluate that to this year? In my opinion, we should assume all trades are fair until proven otherwise (when it comes to this award), or you're projecting a bias towards a team.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm sorry, did we get a 1st rounder? i musta missed something. mays was a bust

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We don't even know who they're taking as of yet. If Taylor Mays trade works out in the end and the 49ers get an all-pro player, how do we evaluate that to this year? In my opinion, we should assume all trades are fair until proven otherwise (when it comes to this award), or you're projecting a bias towards a team.

I would normally agree, but there is no way to justify that trading a guy who was never going to play for you (Palmer) for two high draft picks cannot be considered fair.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure how to word this in a way that gets my question out there accurately...but here we go. Considering 3 players went over 5,000 yards in the same season, does that diminish Brees's accomplishment in any way? There's a good chance Rodgers could have eclipsed 5k if he would have played week 17.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting an asterisk. But, the emphasis on passing today and the rules that give receivers more of an advantage than when Marino was playing certainly made this more attainable. It's not Brees' fault and he still had to make the passes, but I think Marino's accomplishment shouldn't be forgotten. He'll likely fall further down the list over the next decade or two if the passing trend continues. And if they go to 18 games then comparing all records will be even harder.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mike Brown screwed up anywhere, it's the fact that he let Jonathan Joseph walk. Maybe they couldn't afford him, but they should have kept him IMO.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure how to word this in a way that gets my question out there accurately...but here we go. Considering 3 players went over 5,000 yards in the same season, does that diminish Brees's accomplishment in any way? There's a good chance Rodgers could have eclipsed 5k if he would have played week 17.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting an asterisk. But, the emphasis on passing today and the rules that give receivers more of an advantage than when Marino was playing certainly made this more attainable. It's not Brees' fault and he still had to make the passes, but I think Marino's accomplishment shouldn't be forgotten. He'll likely fall further down the list over the next decade or two if the passing trend continues. And if they go to 18 games then comparing all records will be even harder.

they showed some stats during the game showing brees beating the average yards per game by a larger amount than marino did. so even tho there's more passing yards compared to the early 80s, brees is just blowing everyone away.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

To be clear, I'm not suggesting an asterisk. But, the emphasis on passing today and the rules that give receivers more of an advantage than when Marino was playing certainly made this more attainable.

It's not Brees' fault and he still had to make the passes, but I think Marino's accomplishment shouldn't be forgotten. He'll likely fall further down the list over the next decade or two if the passing trend continues. And if they go to 18 games then comparing all records will be even harder.

If there is one thing the NFL is horribly inadequate at doing it is the way it statistically measures the performance of its players. The game has evolved by light-years over the past 60+ years and yet, the NFL still celebrates a running back that averages 64 yards a game.

Among the many arguments you will hear against Brees' record, perhaps the most compelling will be the following:

Marino - 1984:
Pass Attempts.......Yards

Brees - 2011:
Pass Attempts.......Yards

At the same number of pass attempts, Drew Brees had 878 fewer yards than Dan Marino.

Now, I am not expressing an opinion one way or the other, I'm just giving you ONE example of how this record will be scrutinized for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they played in different offenses. marino threw the ball downfield while brees picks a defense to shreds. add in the fact that brees actually got it done in the playoffs, i doubt we'll see people put any sort of * on brees' record.