• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF End of the Year 2013 Top 10 OFFENSIVE Rankings (Each position)

milker2324

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB's also have PFF QBR, Accuracy %, Deep passing, under pressure, play action, and time in pocket.

milker2324

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB's have run stopping %, tackling efficiency, coverage, slot performance, and pass rushing productivity...Safeties have all of that but slot performance. and each of these go in depth with various stats.

As an add-up to the earl thomas explanation, he was ranked 53rd of 63 in run stop %, 21st in run stop % when playing within 8 yards of the LOS. 37th in combined tackling efficiency, 11th in cover snaps per reception. 7th in yards per cover snap, 9th in cover snaps per target.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF is an ass rag

Better than the eyetest as much as people hate to say that. Yes, there are quite a few more data points than say baseball, but PFF does provide a different perspective that should be welcome at the table of discussion. It is far from an ass rag.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how Gronk, who played in only seven games, could have graded out as the second best TE.

milker2324

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how Gronk, who played in only seven games, could have graded out as the second best TE.

Because you arent hurt by not playing. When he did play, he did not have a single negatively graded performance. graham was hurt by 7 points from his run blocking. gronk had -2 run blocking so that is 5 points right there. Gronk had a better y/reception, yards after contact per attempt, he had a lower drop rate, he had a better yards per pass route run. and no other TE was really spectacular. Witten graded in the green in everything but didnt have any spectacular grade in anything.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you arent hurt by not playing. When he did play, he did not have a single negatively graded performance. graham was hurt by 7 points from his run blocking. gronk had -2 run blocking so that is 5 points right there. Gronk had a better y/reception, yards after contact per attempt, he had a lower drop rate, he had a better yards per pass route run. and no other TE was really spectacular. Witten graded in the green in everything but didnt have any spectacular grade in anything.

That's always an interesting quirk though. We all know that "the next man up" often times is barely comparable with the starter. Personally, I have always felt some extra credit of sorts should go to players who show to be durable during the season. I understand why Gronk isn't docked, but it is interesting to talk about nonetheless.

milker2324

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better than the eyetest as much as people hate to say that. Yes, there are quite a few more data points than say baseball, but PFF does provide a different perspective that should be welcome at the table of discussion. It is far from an ass rag.

Exactly, i never said this is the end all, and never said it should be taken as gospel. It gives you an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each player and gives you a ton of in-depth stats to look at. They look at every single play and place blame and give credit to who directly affected the play. They do not place blame or give credit if there is a question about it. The grading system is not perfect as no grading system will be. There will always be problems and ways to exploit them.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, so the grades are on a per game basis. That wasn't clear to me when I read this in the OP: "Grades are given each week in criteria, then added up to an overall score. "

milker2324

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always an interesting quirk though. We all know that "the next man up" often times is barely comparable with the starter. Personally, I have always felt some extra credit of sorts should go to players who show to be durable during the season. I understand why Gronk isn't docked, but it is interesting to talk about nonetheless.

Absolutely, i have no problem with people saying that he is hurt by not playing, but i also want to see exactly how they played when they were there. They give you the choice of taking people out or adding them with the % system. There are levels like all, 25%, 50%, 60%, 75%, etc. I put it at 25% because it has those who may have been hurt but takes away the seldom played players. I dont want to see someone on top with 20 snaps because they were well rounded and great for those 20 snaps. gronk played 390, graham 774, gonzo 1024 (the most).

milker2324

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so the grades are on a per game basis. That wasn't clear to me when I read this in the OP: "Grades are given each week in criteria, then added up to an overall score. "

Yeah, they watch one person the entire game, write down grades or notes for each positive or negative play and details of what happened. They then give a final grade for each criteria (4) after each game. At the end of the season each game is added up to a total for each criteria (4). Then those criteria are added up as a final overall grade. They update the standings each week but this is for the entire season.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was graded well in everything. 7.4 in pass block, 4.0 in screen, 3.6 in run block, and 3.6 in penalty. (=18.6).
He was graded as allowing 0 sacks, 4 hits, 8 hurries, he had 1 penalty assigned to him. He had 4 negative graded games, only two were over-1.0 (rated as red). One was a bad pass block (2 hits, 2 hurries) and run block grade, and the other was a bad run block grade. HE WAS ranked 2nd in pass block, (pouncey), #1st in screen block, 11th in run, and 2nd in penalty.

Stafford averaged the shortest amount of time in the pocket (2.27 seconds) and the second-shortest time before the pass (2.86 seconds) of any starting quarterback this season it made his entire o-line look great in pass protection. Raiola has been terrible his entire career. In contrast Russell Wilson held onto the ball longer than any QB(4.03 seconds) and his o-line had the worst stats in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford averaged the shortest amount of time in the pocket (2.27 seconds) and the second-shortest time before the pass (2.86 seconds) of any starting quarterback this season it made his entire o-line look great in pass protection. Raiola has been terrible his entire career. In contrast Russell Wilson held onto the ball longer than any QB(4.03 seconds) and his o-line had the worst stats in the league.

Anyone who watch the Seahawks all season knows that Wilson ran for his life and gave his receivers time to get open before throwing the ball, thus the 4.03 seconds. Seahawks OL sucked at pass blocking and it got worse as injuries took starters out on the OL.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat surprised that Gore wasn't in the top 10 considering his ability to pass block coupled with his running...bc the Niners don't pass to the RB anymore like they did under Nolan and Singletary (Captain Checkdown now on KC probably has something to do with it), I'm assuming that was his downfall.

Aside from that, not much surprising me on the Niner front.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forte was ranked 16th, his blocking grade is what killed him. (-5.5), with a neutral run grade he would have been at 11, almost 10. 5th in pass grade, 20th in run grade, 1st in penalty.

Interesting. Just goes to show how homerism ( on my behalf) blinded me to reality.

But I still like the guy. Second in total yards from scrimmage... Il. Take it.