• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penn State @ The Ohio State

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really thought Penn State had a real chance.

Thought they could run the ball a bit more effectively.

49 yards rushing on 26 attempts. Had to be able to run the ball to win. Led to a 1 for 16 on 3rd down conversion rate.

Maybe Ohio State cheated and stole all their signs?:noidea:

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
am I wrong? last 50 years- no team has been as relevant year in and year out then tOSU.

Oklahoma. They had a bad run after the Charles Thompson scandal. Lasted less than a decade, and the machine was back up and rolling.

tOSU was middle of the road for basically two decades in the 80s and 90s with Earle Bruce and John Cooper. Never remembered them being all that good in my childhood and always seen as a massive pretender. They were like Notre Dame. Mostly hype and coverage, very little substance outside of a couple of years here and there.

Tressel kind of brought tOSU back (yes I realize he won a Natty over an undefeated beast in Miami), but it was Urban that really brought the machine back that kids across the nation wanted to play and get drafted into the NFL because they played at tOSU.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really thought Penn State had a real chance.

Thought they could run the ball a bit more effectively.

49 yards rushing on 26 attempts. Had to be able to run the ball to win. Led to a 1 for 16 on 3rd down conversion rate.

Maybe Ohio State cheated and stole all their signs?:noidea:
Yeah, that's a killer. Most of those were probably short pass attempts that failed too. Singleton actually averaged 5.3 yards per carry. Maybe run him a little more often instead of tossing incompletions. If PSU had gotten that defensive TD too in the 2nd quarter, the whole game is changed. They're up 13-3 or at least 10-3 at half and can run the ball for the rest of the game.

Basically, PSU went away from the one thing they do pretty well offensively and that's rush the football. 18 carries total for SIngleton and Allen!?!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God this game is over, and hopefully Gus Johnson never calls another Ohio State game that I watch. If I hear Maserati Marv one more fucking time I may give up football and start watching WNBA games or something.
My God. 1-2 times? Fine. Every time he has a pass thrown to him?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe, but PSU has really good players on defense.

Day and Kyle both said after the game that the way the defense was playing their main focus was not turning the ball over once they got the lead.

PSU's offense is not good enough to play against Ohio State's defense. That was the difference in the game. I know it's not what Buckeye fans are used to, but if the defense keeps this up throughout the entire year, they will be fine.
some fans really did get spoiled by Stroud, Fields and Haskins. will say I think I might prefer McCord and THIS defense to their teams though. No lead was safe when they were the QBs most seasons.

As for McCord? He's OK...just not close to elite.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine until they play Michigan. As good as the defense has been, the offense will need to score more than 20 points for then to have a chance against the wolverines
What has UM done to make you so sure they aren't another PSU? Best win was against whom? Rutgers or MN?

Isn't to say they are not really good but who the hell knows?

Crazy to me is the Bama treatment they get in the polls. As mentioned, best win is against MN or Rutgers. A complete garbage OOC schedule. No way OSU is #2 with that resume. Based solely on current resume not sure how they are ahead of so many undefeateds.

Oh well.....real poll in a couple weeks.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
over the long run- all college football teams ebb and flow beside Ohio State. It is hard to remember a time when OSU was down for more than a year or two.
and just THIS season who really doesn't have any warts? I don't see a version of last year's UGA out there or the Bama that rolled us in a title game.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
am I wrong? last 50 years- no team has been as relevant year in and year out then tOSU.
I mean, there were some bad years under Cooper and often middling under Bruce but I agree. No really down times like even the best of the best have had (Bama, Oklahoma, Texas, etc).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're past the halfway point of the season. If Day doesnt think its time to open up the playbook by NOW, then its never going to be time
curious....is there anyone out there that is really so scary this season?

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma. They had a bad run after the Charles Thompson scandal. Lasted less than a decade, and the machine was back up and rolling.

tOSU was middle of the road for basically two decades in the 80s and 90s with Earle Bruce and John Cooper. Never remembered them being all that good in my childhood and always seen as a massive pretender. They were like Notre Dame. Mostly hype and coverage, very little substance outside of a couple of years here and there.

Tressel kind of brought tOSU back (yes I realize he won a Natty over an undefeated beast in Miami), but it was Urban that really brought the machine back that kids across the nation wanted to play and get drafted into the NFL because they played at tOSU.
imho..... Tressel and Urban both underperformed given the high level of recruits and the teams they put together. Honestly, both should have had 1 more Natty......

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and just THIS season who really doesn't have any warts? I don't see a version of last year's UGA out there or the Bama that rolled us in a title game.
agree. especially GA. they sure don't look as dominant as last year.

Last year our offense was elite. Defense was a C. This year the defense is an A, and the offense is a B-, but getting better.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has UM done to make you so sure they aren't another PSU? Best win was against whom? Rutgers or MN?

Isn't to say they are not really good but who the hell knows?

Crazy to me is the Bama treatment they get in the polls. As mentioned, best win is against MN or Rutgers. A complete garbage OOC schedule. No way OSU is #2 with that resume. Based solely on current resume not sure how they are ahead of so many undefeateds.

Oh well.....real poll in a couple weeks.
this^^^. the sports media slobbering over playing no one is hilarious. Look at their current SOS. it's pathetic. they play two real games. PSU and OSU. They don't play wisc. or Iowa, the two best in the west. seriously.

the hype is a joke. they haven't played against a good defense. period.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God this game is over, and hopefully Gus Johnson never calls another Ohio State game that I watch. If I hear Maserati Marv one more fucking time I may give up football and start watching WNBA games or something.
I have to agree. cringed every time I heard it. terrible.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this^^^. the sports media slobbering over playing no one is hilarious. Look at their current SOS. it's pathetic. they play two real games. PSU and OSU. They don't play wisc. or Iowa, the two best in the west. seriously.

the hype is a joke. they haven't played against a good defense. period.
Admittedly I'm shocked a BIG team - any BIG team - getting this treatment.

Wonder if they will do the same for us after our OOC next season, which is putrid.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly I'm shocked a BIG team - any BIG team - getting this treatment.

Wonder if they will do the same for us after our OOC next season, which is putrid.
it's happened already to OSU. they dropped twice early in the season "because they didn't win by 100 points.".......... mich , GA, FSU have all played like that and haven't dropped.

OSU should not have been playing YSU. only hurts you, unless you win by 70 plus injuries.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd agree it was "down" per OSU standards but they were still 9th in winning pct from 1980 to 1999.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imho..... Tressel and Urban both underperformed given the high level of recruits and the teams they put together. Honestly, both should have had 1 more Natty......
Maybe but we don't get the Bama treatment and were seasons we could make a strong case for CFP and didn't get in.