• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State: Possible Lengthy Bowl Ban amd Scholarship Losses

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One source told Yahoo! Sports Emmert’s sanctions will include a “multiple-year” bowl ban and “crippling” scholarship losses. Penn State will not receive the "death penalty."

Sources: NCAA president to hit Penn State with 'staggering' penalties from Sandusky scandal - Yahoo! Sports

Just seems as if they're punishing the fans and students -- Ruining the livelihoods of players who were in preschool and elementary school while this cover up was going on. So I ask, how does this bring justice to the victims?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources: NCAA president to hit Penn State with 'staggering' penalties from Sandusky scandal - Yahoo! Sports

Just seems as if they're punishing the fans and students -- Ruining the livelihoods of players who were in preschool and elementary school while this cover up was going on. So I ask, how does this bring justice to the victims?

They should allow them to go to the Bowl Games, but the money they make from the Bowl Games should go somewhere else, perhaps organizations that help with preventing child abuse and the aftermath for those who were abused. Because money seems the appropriate punishment to me. I guess then we'd root for them to get a Bowl Game? Tracking the money must be difficult as there would be incidental profit like shirts and stuff that they could not directly link to the Bowl Games. It's good that Bowl Games are not played at home, because then if all food and drinks profits are forfeited, they'd have incentive not to buy the drinks to sell, just water. In addition, they could be fined, irrespective of the bowl games.

I went to USC and I don't think the ban helped anyone any better than money being taken away, negative publicity, etc. Good players did have the chance to leave, but then they had to work to supplant players entrenched in the starting position or come off the bench, when without the punishments, they'd be starting. Barkley, of course, decided to stay because auditioning for the NFL is more important than Bowl Games. But for those who aren't going to the NFL, this might be it.

I don't think there's a way to adequately give time for players to make a good equal choice. They could ban Penn State from Bowl Games 4-5 years from now, where everyone currently on the team aren't affected, but that's so removed from everything, plus the students are punished. One could say taking money away from the program also punishes the students, but if firing the President and coach is not enough to do that, then I don't know.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, seems like this only punishes people who had nothing to do with what happened. Doesn't the football program generate most of the money needed to run these big colleges? Or does the football program only make pure profit for the school?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Penn State doesn't get the death penalty, I'll be extremely upset. That's the only thing that will make other teams afraid to cover up crimes.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Penn State doesn't get the death penalty, I'll be extremely upset. That's the only thing that will make other teams afraid to cover up crimes.

I suppose that is why they are doing it, and from that point of view the punishment is more than fair. Just seems like it punishes future faculty and students more than the dickwads who covered it up.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its not really about justice.....they said they're going for "punitive measures", which when you inflict additional punishment to make an example of the perp. I think I would probably agree that the crimes were too heinous and widespread to limit it to individual bans.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just seems like it punishes future faculty and students more than the dickwads who covered it up.

Couldn't you make this argument for virtually every sanction delivered by the NCAA? Whether its r*pe or recruiting, its usually only few individuals that are breaking the rules, but everyone at the school has to pay.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm reading it's going to be a reduction in scholarships & bowl suspensions. That's a bunch of crap! If this doesn't warrant the death penalty then nothing does.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't. A great many punishments never do anything close to justice, but that's not (necessarily) reason enough to dismiss them outright.

The real question for me is: Will this or any punishment realign the mentality still held by too many that the program comes first? I don't know the answer but, if there was a way to do that, I'd have to consider it even with the collateral damage it would do to recruits/players/fans.

I can understand a lot of people feel that PSU needs to be punished. The NCAA is reactionary and will do whatever they think most people think they need to, imo.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They should allow them to go to the Bowl Games, but the money they make from the Bowl Games should go somewhere else, perhaps organizations that help with preventing child abuse and the aftermath for those who were abused. Because money seems the appropriate punishment to me. I guess then we'd root for them to get a Bowl Game? Tracking the money must be difficult as there would be incidental profit like shirts and stuff that they could not directly link to the Bowl Games. It's good that Bowl Games are not played at home, because then if all food and drinks profits are forfeited, they'd have incentive not to buy the drinks to sell, just water. In addition, they could be fined, irrespective of the bowl games.

I went to USC and I don't think the ban helped anyone any better than money being taken away, negative publicity, etc. Good players did have the chance to leave, but then they had to work to supplant players entrenched in the starting position or come off the bench, when without the punishments, they'd be starting. Barkley, of course, decided to stay because auditioning for the NFL is more important than Bowl Games. But for those who aren't going to the NFL, this might be it.

I don't think there's a way to adequately give time for players to make a good equal choice. They could ban Penn State from Bowl Games 4-5 years from now, where everyone currently on the team aren't affected, but that's so removed from everything, plus the students are punished. One could say taking money away from the program also punishes the students, but if firing the President and coach is not enough to do that, then I don't know.

Repped.

I'm sure this is an idea everyone could get behind!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading it's going to be a reduction in scholarships & bowl suspensions. That's a bunch of crap! If this doesn't warrant the death penalty then nothing does.

What does death penalty mean? Does it just mean no football (including regular season)? Or does it go to other sports, too? Is it for a period of time, indefinite, or permanent? We should ban them for the time period they covered it up, since what 1998? So that's about 14 years. Does the NCAA have perpetual existence where they could hypothetically ban a team for that long or do they have to continue to get renewals/extensions to exist? In other words, is it like the CBA that expires after a period of time or is it a body of sports authority in which teams opt into and out of due to their advantages? (Not saying 14 years would work, per se.)

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well it was a death penalty for Paterno, if it helps........he didn't last too long after this all came out.

And unless they stick him in solitary confinement for the rest of his life, I'm guessing Sandusky will *wish* he'd gotten the death penalty - the real one. I can only imagine what would happen to the world's most famous child molester in prison.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Why are you so upset? Execution never stopped murderers from killing and the Death Penalty, I very much doubt, would get top officials attention if they know all that's going to happen to them, is that they'll be laid-off. The Death Penalty for SMU didn't change recruitment violations, so why do you feel it will be a preventive measure for this kind of scandal?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What does death penalty mean? Does it just mean no football (including regular season)? Or does it go to other sports, too? Is it for a period of time, indefinite, or permanent? We should ban them for the time period they covered it up, since what 1998? So that's about 14 years.

For your 2nd question I believe it's just for the football program. TOP-OFFICIALS of PSU were involved in the cover-up(not just Joe-Pa and McQueary), so if people are calling for death, then I could see where they're coming from if they wanted to drop ALL student-athlete programs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For your 2nd question I believe it's just for the football program. TOP-OFFICIALS of PSU were involved in the cover-up(not just Joe-Pa and McQueary), so if people are calling for death, then I could see where they're coming from if they wanted to drop ALL student-athlete programs.

Thanks for clarifying, the death penalty refers no doubt to the football program; I was wondering if Sickness' disgust with the whole thing extended his ideal punishment to the whole athletic department.

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does death penalty mean? Does it just mean no football (including regular season)? Or does it go to other sports, too? Is it for a period of time, indefinite, or permanent? We should ban them for the time period they covered it up, since what 1998? So that's about 14 years.

SMU's death penalty was for one year. They didn't make it to a bowl for 20 years after that. I suppose that's why it's called the "death" penalty even though it technically is a one year ban.

As far as Penn State's sanctions go, depending on how you look at it (or how it plays out, obviously), a 4 year bowl ban could actually be "worse." I use the word worse lightly because it is highly debatable.

I do think it would be nice to have this monetarily benefit the victims in some way. It would be great to see bowl money go to an actual cause. The same applies to the TV ban that has been speculated as well. Unfortunately, it would be shocking to see the NCAA order fines to be paid to anyone other than themselves.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Why are you so upset? Execution never stopped murderers from killing

You could not be more wrong. Justice isn't meant to "punish" offenders, it's meant to deter others from doing the same, and that's exactly what it does (in rare occasions justice is taken seriously in this country). Look at the crime rate in China; they don't pussy foot around like we do in that department.

This is the possibly the worst thing a school can do, and it deserves the harshest punishment the NCAA can possibly deliver.

I'd be fine with no football at all for 1 season. That'd be a severe enough kick in the junk. However, I wouldn't ever expect the NCAA to do the right thing.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You could not be more wrong. Justice isn't meant to "punish" offenders, it's meant to deter others from doing the same, and that's exactly what it does (in rare occasions justice is taken seriously in this country). Look at the crime rate in China; they don't pussy foot around like we do in that department.

This is the possibly the worst thing a school can do, and it deserves the harshest punishment the NCAA can possibly deliver.

I'd be fine with no football at all for 1 season. That'd be a severe enough kick in the junk. However, I wouldn't ever expect the NCAA to do the right thing.

Crime Rate is more culture based than anything.

and why only the football team when the Athletic Director and school vice president two other culprits in the cover up?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's on Penn State's schedule? Because if the regular season is cancelled, then if they cannot find replacement teams to play that would bring them financially or competitively (to get BCS chances) the same, they should be able to sue Penn State for the loss. (Reasonable efforts to make adequate replacements on the schedule is necessary). Because we shouldn't punish the teams that were slated to play them.