• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT's week 8 (Nov 24 - Nov 30)

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, last week started out well with a 4-0 win @ Montreal against the Canadiens, but then things took a downturn with the news of Pascal Dupuis's condition and then dropping both games against the Islanders in a home & home series. Now we're tied with the Islanders. Oh well, that's life.

This week we got a busy schedule (4 games).

Monday, November 24th @ Boston Bruins: they started out slow but have played well as of late. They did lose 2-0 to the Canadiens their past game so they'll probably be extra motivated to beat us :L

Wednesday, November 26th vs Toronto Maple Leafs. All of a sudden they've been playing good hockey, guess losing 9-2 to the Preds really woke them up. They played us tough last time and we only won because of Dupuis, now we don't even have that.

Friday, November 28th vs Carolina Hurricanes & Saturday, November 29th @ Carolina Hurricanes: Hurricanes are really struggling, but I don't have a world of confidence in the Pens for a home & home series either, so…

Anyways, really hope we bounce back and I hope Sid could score a point or 2.

LET'S GO PENS!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Penguins vs Boston Bruins

Pittsburgh Penguins
Overall record: 13-4-2 (28 points)
Road record: 7-2-1
Last 10: 7-2-1
Streak: -2
GFA: 3.53
GAA: 2.26
PP%: 33.3%
PK%: 87.5%
Projected roster: NHL Starting Goalies and Line Combinations | DailyFaceoff.com

Boston Bruins
Overall record: 13-9-0 (26 points)
Home record: 8-5-0
Last 10: 7-3-0
Streak: -1
GFA: 2.50
GAA: 2.46
PP%: 20.4%
PK%: 78.8%
Projected roster: NHL Starting Goalies and Line Combinations | DailyFaceoff.com

Series notes
All-time: Bruins lead series 105-61-5 plus 21 ties
Last season: Bruins won series 2-1-0
Last meeting: 12-07-2014 @ TD Garden, Bruins won 3-2

Doob's take: both teams are looking for bounce back games after losing to heated division opponents. Bruins play a physical style game and that really gives the Pens problems. I don't like the Pens' chances of winning this one, so I'm going to pick the Bruins to win 3-2. Hopefully the Pens will prove me wrong.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, last week started out well with a 4-0 win @ Montreal against the Canadiens, but then things took a downturn with the news of Pascal Dupuis's condition and then dropping both games against the Islanders in a home & home series. Now we're tied with the Islanders. Oh well, that's life.

This week we got a busy schedule (4 games).

Monday, November 24th @ Boston Bruins: they started out slow but have played well as of late. They did lose 2-0 to the Canadiens their past game so they'll probably be extra motivated to beat us :L

Wednesday, November 26th vs Toronto Maple Leafs. All of a sudden they've been playing good hockey, guess losing 9-2 to the Preds really woke them up. They played us tough last time and we only won because of Dupuis, now we don't even have that.

Friday, November 28th vs Carolina Hurricanes & Saturday, November 29th @ Carolina Hurricanes: Hurricanes are really struggling, but I don't have a world of confidence in the Pens for a home & home series either, so…

Anyways, really hope we bounce back and I hope Sid could score a point or 2.

LET'S GO PENS!

I don't think the Pens were that effected by the news about Dupuis. Sure it was a loss to the team, but they have overcome worse. They were out played by a young determined Islander team. Sid is my biggest concern, he isn't skating and he can't seem to pass any more.

The Leafs beat Detroit last night, so they may finally have the fire lit under them. If that's true, Pittsburgh is in trouble.

The Pens should sweep Carolina, but whether the will or not is another story. If they get swept, you might see a few jerseys on the ice.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, Ulfie's little girl Victoria will be playing on the PSU women's hockey team come next fall.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Pens were that effected by the news about Dupuis. Sure it was a loss to the team, but they have overcome worse. They were out played by a young determined Islander team. Sid is my biggest concern, he isn't skating and he can't seem to pass any more.

The Leafs beat Detroit last night, so they may finally have the fire lit under them. If that's true, Pittsburgh is in trouble.

The Pens should sweep Carolina, but whether the will or not is another story. If they get swept, you might see a few jerseys on the ice.

We better not get swept by the Hurricanes :L

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens get dominated by B's...Skid leaves the ice with his vagina injured...6-0 B's.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised that they looked so flat against the Isles this past weekend because they looked so dominant coming into this home and home after they dominated the league leading Canadiens.

Big picture is that the Pens are a work in progress. New GM, new HC and assistants, line shuffling, injured top six(Duper), 7 healthy defensemen that are being juggled.

This is what the Pens look like now that there has been massive change in the structure of who they are. It surprised me that they looked so good so early this season because there should be a period of time where the changes have to settle in.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't know November results were so important to everyone now? Is Dan Bylsma posting on the board?

Everything about this season is getting ready for the playoffs. The Pens struggled against the Flyers in the regular season and got dominated in the playoffs by the Flyers in an embarrassing fashion. The Pens dominated the Bruins in the regular season, then scored two goals in a series and got swept. There is no correlation between reg season and playoffs.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perspective. The Pens hit a rough 2 games. OK, its still November and the Pens are still on top (tied anyway) of their division. Could be a lot worse.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams always go through tough stretches, no matter how talented they are. Players, also no matter how talented and/or hardworking they are, go through tough stretches.

Crosby has a goal and an assist tonight, and he got the goal by hustling to the dirty area and burying a rebound. Not every cold spell can be attributed to a lack of heart. Sometimes you have a stretch where your legs just aren't under you, or the puck won't stick on your blade, and when you're a start player, a focal point, every mistake you make gets magnified, and people forget those times in the same stretch when you controlled the puck alone for 15 seconds in the offensive zone, then set up a good chance, because that one didn't get buried.

It's the same effect that makes players ignore a bunch of flubbed passes which lead to turnovers and chances for the opponent if you score a couple goals over that stretch. Yes, I have a Penguin in mind for this one.

Every player on this team is going to hit rough stretches. Malkin has weeks when he makes at least one major turnover a night. Maatta, for as solid as he is, is still susceptible to dekes to his inside. Kunitz has stretches when nothing sticks to his stick. Letang has brain farts.

We single out Crosby because he's the captain and the best player in hockey. And there isn't a contest on that, he is. He's the most prolific scorer, and he's sound defensively and good in the faceoff circle. He's physical in a not-running-people-over way. He does just about everything there is to do on the ice and does it well. Why we're complaining about a perennial 30-goal and 100-point player who isn't a defensive liability and can win key faceoffs is always beyond me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a really good powerplay. The Bruins got away with some holding on it, too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GENO!

Great win, on the road against a good opponent. Sid with 3 points, Geno with two goals.

I think Hornqvist will get an assist on the Crosby goal, that was a slick little kick pass he made to Crosby through the paint.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and that's Fleury's 300th win. Maybe a little pressure is lifted now that the milestone is cleared.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great comeback game after two bad showings. The fact Crosby/Malkin scored even strength and Fleury played well.

Interesting that Joe Morrow's first ever NHL goal is against the team that drafted him.
And I had no idea that Simon Gagne was back in the NHL!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm picking the Pens to lose every game from here on out.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to MAF, really happy for him. 3rd fastest goalie to reach 300 wins. Well deserved :clap:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win, happy for MAF.

Definitely like Hornqvist-Crosby and Kunitz-Malkin as the basis for lines going forward.