• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT's week 6 (Nov 10 - Nov 16)

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about the rest of you but I can't think of a single positive to come out of this game. Best to forget about it completely and focus on the Maple Leafs. Hopefully the Bruins soften them up for us.

Only positive that COULD come out of it is that it maybe keeps them humble? :noidea:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only positive that COULD come out of it is that it maybe keeps them humble? :noidea:

You would think facing the team that knocked us out of the playoffs would do that :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to have a bad loss before the winning streak started festering bad habits which were allowed to slide because the team was winning, I think.

They looked bad against Buffalo, too, I thought, so the writing was kind of on the wall for this one. Buffalo just sucks so completely that they still crushed them.

They had to lose sometime, it might as well have been a bad one which could call attention to the team's shortcomings so they can be addressed sooner rather than later.

But yeah, they looked like crap tonight.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow i sure did not see this one coming

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to have a bad loss before the winning streak started festering bad habits which were allowed to slide because the team was winning, I think.

They looked bad against Buffalo, too, I thought, so the writing was kind of on the wall for this one. Buffalo just sucks so completely that they still crushed them.

They had to lose sometime, it might as well have been a bad one which could call attention to the team's shortcomings so they can be addressed sooner rather than later.

I agree, win streak was running on fumes. Probably should've lost to the Jets last week.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news is that we have a lot of time to put this behind us and prep for the next game. Bad news is that we play the Rangers again the following night :doh:

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sid's line was the only one that was skating against Buffalo in the beginning, but they let up when the score started getting out of hand. Trouble is the whole team phoned it in against Winnipeg, but somehow managed to win. I guess they thought they could just show up and the Rangers would beat themselves.

Maybe they needed a reality check. Whatever, its a long season as long as they come out with some fire tomorrow night against Toronto we'll be OK.

By the way, nice save by Tanner Glass.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about the rest of you but I can't think of a single positive to come out of this game. Best to forget about it completely and focus on the Maple Leafs. Hopefully the Bruins soften them up for us.

Not many positives from this one but the return of Beau Bennett was good to see. He took Zach Sill's spot in the lineup, and Sill was playing like 6:00 a game, so that is an addition that helps to distribute the TOI a heck of a lot better. Plus, Bennett is a whole lot more of an offensive threat than Sill. Bennett just needs to get acclimated to the timing needed to skate against NHL caliber athletes.

Another positive to take from this one is that Olli Maatta skated on his own prior to the gameday skate in the morning. They were talking like it might be 3 or 4 weeks that Maatta would be out, but if he's skating already, all that is left is to be cleared for contact, so that could happen sooner than initially anticipated. If Maatta is back by say, Saturday, that would be pretty good because I think Bortuzzo needs a spot in the press box for a couple as he looked particularly bad last night.

It became very obvious to me last night about just how important Maatta is to this team. He might be their best defenseman at this point of the season. Pretty wild that Maatta is still just 20 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many positives from this one but the return of Beau Bennett was good to see. He took Zach Sill's spot in the lineup, and Sill was playing like 6:00 a game, so that is an addition that helps to distribute the TOI a heck of a lot better. Plus, Bennett is a whole lot more of an offensive threat than Sill. Bennett just needs to get acclimated to the timing needed to skate against NHL caliber athletes.

Another positive to take from this one is that Olli Maatta skated on his own prior to the gameday skate in the morning. They were talking like it might be 3 or 4 weeks that Maatta would be out, but if he's skating already, all that is left is to be cleared for contact, so that could happen sooner than initially anticipated. If Maatta is back by say, Saturday, that would be pretty good because I think Bortuzzo needs a spot in the press box for a couple as he looked particularly bad last night.

It became very obvious to me last night about just how important Maatta is to this team. He might be their best defenseman at this point of the season. Pretty wild that Maatta is still just 20 years old.

:agree:

Totally agree with you. Especially your take on Maatta. Only 2 years in the league and his level of play is all star caliber. What's really freaky is the quiet way he goes about his business. Gotta love the kid.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We probably get stomped in that game with or without Maatta tho. Also, kind of concerning if the stability of our blue line hinges on a 20 year old kid.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We probably get stomped in that game with or without Maatta tho. Also, kind of concerning if the stability of our blue line hinges on a 20 year old kid.

You're probably right about them losing last night, although I really do think Maatta is now an integral part of their top four defensemen. I don't necessarily look at his excellent two way play and possibly him being the Pens best d-man as a bad thing, though. He is pretty darn good.

So are guys like Martin and Letang, but Maatta looks to me like he's going to be a very special player for the Pens. The whole team lavishes praise on him any time they are asked about Maatta by the media. They see what he's all about more than we get to see, and they all say the same thing, like burghfan said, is about how humble he is. Yet, he has a hockey sense about him that is just unreal for a 20 year old.

I make this comparison with the utmost respect, but for as young as Maatta is, and as well as he's performed for them, he really makes me think of what Nick Lidstrom looked like when he joined the Wings in '91. Lidstrom also immediately performed as a rookie like he'd been in the NHL for years.

At this point, it's hard to say what Maatta will turn out like. Obviously Nick is a HOF'er, but Maatta looks like something special IMO.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right about them losing last night, although I really do think Maatta is now an integral part of their top four defensemen. I don't necessarily look at his excellent two way play and possibly him being the Pens best d-man as a bad thing, though. He is pretty darn good.

So are guys like Martin and Letang, but Maatta looks to me like he's going to be a very special player for the Pens. The whole team lavishes praise on him any time they are asked about Maatta by the media. They see what he's all about more than we get to see, and they all say the same thing, like burghfan said, is about how humble he is. Yet, he has a hockey sense about him that is just unreal for a 20 year old.

I make this comparison with the utmost respect, but for as young as Maatta is, and as well as he's performed for them, he really makes me think of what Nick Lidstrom looked like when he joined the Wings in '91. Lidstrom also immediately performed as a rookie like he'd been in the NHL for years.

At this point, it's hard to say what Maatta will turn out like. Obviously Nick is a HOF'er, but Maatta looks like something special IMO.

True true

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maple Leafs are doing to the Bruins what the Rangers did to us last night. We're going to have our work cut out for us this weekend.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Penguins vs Toronto Maple Leafs

Pittsburgh Penguins
Overall record: 10-3-1 (21 points)
Road record: 5-1-1
Last 10: 7-2-1
Streak: -1
GFA: 3.86
GAA: 2.29
PP%: 35.6%
PK%: 87.5%
Projected roster: NHL Starting Goalies and Line Combinations | DailyFaceoff.com

Toronto Maple Leafs
Overall record: 9-5-2 (20 points)
Home record: 5-4-0
Last 10: 6-3-1
Streak: +3
GFA: 3.31
GAA: 2.62
PP%: 24.1%
PK%: 84.5%
Projected roster: NHL Starting Goalies and Line Combinations | DailyFaceoff.com

Series notes
All-time: Pens lead series 78-71-5 with 17 ties
Last season: Pens won series 2-1-0
This season: Pens lead series 1-0-0
Last meeting: 10-9-2014 @ Air Canada Centre, Pens won 5-2

Doob's take: Last game of the road trip and the Pens are coming off a huge wakeup call (in the form of a 5-0 loss to the Rangers). Maple Leafs are coming off a dominant 6-1 victory against the Bruins and winners of 3 straight games. Momentum and home ice will be on their side, not to mention the psychological edge of the Pens having to worry about the Rangers the next night. This could be a very tough game for us. I would like to see a repeat of last time but I'm going to pick the Pens to win 3-2. At the same time, I could see the Maple Leafs blowing us out if we don't show up like we did the last game.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens win! Greiss was good in net & the Pens' D & PK was outstanding. Dup was a stud tonight. Good hard fought win. Hope we could play like this tomorrow.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guins win thanks to Duper. Skid hasn't scored a goal all month, Malkintent can only score on the PP...this team better find a way to score 5-5, and Skid better start showing that he isn't just an assist player...or Adam Oates lite.

Glad they are winning but getting some even strength goals and some goals by Skid would be helpful

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guins win thanks to Duper. Skid hasn't scored a goal all month, Malkintent can only score on the PP...this team better find a way to score 5-5, and Skid better start showing that he isn't just an assist player...or Adam Oates lite.

Glad they are winning but getting some even strength goals and some goals by Skid would be helpful

Skid had an assist tonight, dafuq scouty?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need Adam Oates light, we need him to tally goals

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sid's scored seven goals and leads the league in points. :noidea:

On last night, I thought Ehrhoff and Bortuzzo were especially excellent. Ehrhoff was physical in his own end, and he was cutting loose that shot. Bortuzzo was what he normally is, but more effective than usual.