• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pelicans fire Monty Williams

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it, this is one job Coach Cal might leave for. The best young player in the game, and unselfish to boot. Basically like getting Tim Duncan at a young age
That would be a blockbuster move for sure. I think if Coach Cal really wanted to be more than College Basketball's Nick Saban (with a *) then it makes a lot of sense.

Its hard to imagine giving up that job security at arguably the best college program, though.

Monty Williams wasnt bad at all. I just think if you have the best asset in basketball for the next decade that you can get better than a mediocre coach.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually surprised they wised up. It made no sense to issue that "if he makes the playoffs, he keeps his job" declaration but teams rarely backtrack on stuff like that even though they should. Either you think he can do the job or can't. A lucky Davis bounce that led to a tiebreaker shouldn't keep his job.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is the new culture in the NBA. Coach gets a team to a higher level, who have been bad for awhile, then gets fired because the team is now big headed like the been good already.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea. Thibs motto is "we always have enough to win." He wants to win every single game and go all out to do it. He has hard practices in which players have said he is the only coach they have ever had to ice after practice. He doesn't like giving days off. It's just the way he is. This year, I think the front office stepped in and players like Noah and Rose started looking out for themselves.

As for a replacement, I'm not sure either. Hoiberg has been mentioned, but I don't know how I feel about that. Honestly, unless your coach's name is Gregg Popovich or Phil Jackson, then you don't have a big advantage over the opposing head coach. Everyone of them are pretty much replaceable after the top 1 or 2.

He sounds like Riley with the Showtime Lakers.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is the new culture in the NBA. Coach gets a team to a higher level, who have been bad for awhile, then gets fired because the team is now big headed like the been good already.

Who was the other coach that fit this trend? Brooks? Injuries aside, the Thunder as an organization were headed in the wrong direction. They needed to roll the dice a little bit.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Thibs is done in Chicago. As to New Orleans will be interesting to see who they get to be their coach there, good young team for sure.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelicans request and granted permission to interview Alvin Gentry for HC position.

Absolutely hate this. As a Warriors fan. Gentry makes almost too much sense for the Pelicans. I'd much rather Gentry made his way to the Eastern Conference.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelicans request and granted permission to interview Alvin Gentry for HC position.

Absolutely hate this. As a Warriors fan. Gentry makes almost too much sense for the Pelicans. I'd much rather Gentry made his way to the Eastern Conference.

Going to hate losing him after just one season.