• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pelicans fire Monty Williams

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's been evident the Pelicans were looking for a reason to get rid of Monty. The Pelicans have to show AD that they're going to the team for him long term. He's just hitting his prime right now and they need to take advantage. They have a ton of talent but it hasn't come together. Interested to see what direction they take for a hire.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh

he has been there for a few years and has exactly one 8th place finish to show for it (4-0 sweep).

There are plenty of options without having to give a mediocre coach another pay raise.

And Williams will be recycled somewhere else as well eventually, as every coach gets about 4 chances in the NBA.

It is a players league, and NBA Coaches are throwaway/recycled assets in 95% of situations.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Increased his team's win total by 7+ games each year. Offensive Efficiency improved each year. Defensive efficiency improved each year. First playoff appearance in 5 years.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear Scott Brooks is available.:boink:

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once pelicans clinched their playoff spot I remember hearing on the televised cast that Monty was told he had to make post season or he would lose his job.....he made the post season and still lost his job.

If I'm the next coach in New Orleans I'm weary.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thibbs to New Orleans is a popular rumor today

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Increased his team's win total by 7+ games each year. Offensive Efficiency improved each year. Defensive efficiency improved each year. First playoff appearance in 5 years.
A lot of that is the team getting better. I don't think Monty Williams is anything special.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do they hate him?!
They wanted thibs to limit minutes to players like Noah, Rose, Butler, etc. so they stay healthy and thibs was basically dragged kicking and screaming into doing it. There is a reason the Bulls are always injured at this time of year, and that's because thibs runs them into the ground. This disagreement has lead everyone in thibs camp to think he'll be fired at the end of the season and the Bulls front office hasn't denied it. Before the playoffs began I was all for a new coach, but now I'm not so sure.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wanted thibs to limit minutes to players like Noah, Rose, Butler, etc. so they stay healthy and thibs was basically dragged kicking and screaming into doing it. There is a reason the Bulls are always injured at this time of year, and that's because thibs runs them into the ground. This disagreement has lead everyone in thibs camp to think he'll be fired at the end of the season and the Bulls front office hasn't denied it. Before the playoffs began I was all for a new coach, but now I'm not so sure.

I just don't understand why he wouldn't want to limit his players minutes? Who would you want to replace thibs?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why he wouldn't want to limit his players minutes? Who would you want to replace thibs?
No idea. Thibs motto is "we always have enough to win." He wants to win every single game and go all out to do it. He has hard practices in which players have said he is the only coach they have ever had to ice after practice. He doesn't like giving days off. It's just the way he is. This year, I think the front office stepped in and players like Noah and Rose started looking out for themselves.

As for a replacement, I'm not sure either. Hoiberg has been mentioned, but I don't know how I feel about that. Honestly, unless your coach's name is Gregg Popovich or Phil Jackson, then you don't have a big advantage over the opposing head coach. Everyone of them are pretty much replaceable after the top 1 or 2.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to say it, this is one job Coach Cal might leave for. The best young player in the game, and unselfish to boot. Basically like getting Tim Duncan at a young age

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea. Thibs motto is "we always have enough to win." He wants to win every single game and go all out to do it. He has hard practices in which players have said he is the only coach they have ever had to ice after practice. He doesn't like giving days off. It's just the way he is. This year, I think the front office stepped in and players like Noah and Rose started looking out for themselves.

As for a replacement, I'm not sure either. Hoiberg has been mentioned, but I don't know how I feel about that. Honestly, unless your coach's name is Gregg Popovich or Phil Jackson, then you don't have a big advantage over the opposing head coach. Everyone of them are pretty much replaceable after the top 1 or 2.

So basically, he takes his job seriously? Man, what a soft world we live in today.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Thibs to New Oreleans and Hoiberg to Bulls.

I've said it before - The transition from Ames, Iowa to Chicago, Illinois will not be a good one for Hoiberg.

I'm not the biggest fan of Thibs, but I just don't see Reinsdorf eating the last two years of his contract.