• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pelicans ask and granted permission to interview Gentry

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN and other sites reporting the Pelicans have asked the Warriors for permission to interview Gentry for their open head coaching position. Warriors have granted that request.

It's been clear from the beginning that Gentry wasn't going to be here very long. He has head coaching aspirations and would make a great coach at his next stop. The concerning part is two fold: 1) If it works out he'll be headed to a Western Conference team, which would suck and 2) this is happening in season which has potential for distraction.

I've always hated that the coaching vacancies have no moratorium like NBA Free Agency. I get that teams like to have their positions filled by the time the draft rolls around, but it can create some havoc. I guess there's really no plausible solution to fix this though.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to see him go but he'd be a perfect fit for the Pelicans. I think the Birds have their eye on Thibidoux though.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Thibs becomes a free agent, he'll have his pick of the litter. I don't know if I'm the Pelicans management that I necessary want Thibs. The reason he's (potentially) being ousted in Chicago is because he ran the players into the ground. If I have a 22 year old Anthony Davis, do I want a guy coaching him who's been notorious for wearing guys out?

I think the Pelicans are a team that need a duo much like the Warriors. Gentry would be a great fit to fix that offense. Defensively as individuals, the Pelicans have guys who can play defense. I think some defensive scheme tweaking would help them as well though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that New Orleans is a big draw, as compared to many other NBA teams and cities. But, if someone really wants to be a head coach, they'd take it wherever it was. I'm glad that Gentry is still "playing" this year for us. Maybe he wouldn't be likely to take the job during the Warriors run through the playoffs and therefore they'd hire someone else. But, I guess if it's an assistant versus another head coach, he could take the job now. When would he even interview for it? I'm sure that N.O. has 10 coaches on their "possibilities" list, right?