• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peanut

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to Bears for at least a year. Signed a 1 yr contract for 3 mill or something?

Glad to see him back.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$3.5 million to be exact.

I like it, either way.

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah, totally, even $3.5 is a big discount for a player of his caliber. I know he is old, but he's knowledgeable, big, and physical. Now if we draft a corner the guy can be brought up slowly and properly. Strategically this is the best thing of the offseason.

Of course there's the issue that this is basically eating into the rookie/in-season salary costs...basically now the Bears are at about $5.4 million under the cap which is not by itself enough. So someone's getting cut, restructured, or they will use the Cutler option.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
makes you wonder what Tampa offered. Glad they did not insult him with a take it or leave it, sure sounds like Peanut went to tampa and gave the bears a chance to match.

I like it, no way Jennings is a number 1. Eventually maybe he can accept being a safety :hope:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peanut is back.........Sweet!

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love that Peanut is back! One of my favorites....

Just hope he stays healthy this year... At least Urlacher won't have something to complain about with this signing....oh wait, he'll probably will anyway.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's one of my favorite bears. He's a better person than football player. Just found out from a buddy of mine that Tilman paid his father's rent for 6 months when he went through a rough patch.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he is back. But his durability will be on the back of my mind throughout the season. I just hope he stays healthy and continues to play great ball.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he is back. But his durability will be on the back of my mind throughout the season. I just hope he stays healthy and continues to play great ball.

:agree:
But it just seems he missed more & more time as the seasons went on.
Love the guy. Just hope he stays healthy.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whew! This eases my mind with regard to the CB position in the next draft.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Ratliff and Tillman signed, it definitely moves us to the best available at 14, be it a CB, DT or DE. Without Tillman I think they would have had to go cornerback. Might shake up the draft a little. Still think the 3-4 is the future here so I still want to see that DT.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Ratliff and Tillman signed, it definitely moves us to the best available at 14, be it a CB, DT or DE. Without Tillman I think they would have had to go cornerback. Might shake up the draft a little. Still think the 3-4 is the future here so I still want to see that DT.

Erm, if you're thinking 3-4 then there is really only 1 option on the D-line. Nix, move Ratliff to NT with Nix his back up. Use... I don't know.. Paea and Houston at 5 tech? Not sure what you do with Young he's a bit small to play a 3-4 end. Stand him up to play LB?

I don't see it.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erm, if you're thinking 3-4 then there is really only 1 option on the D-line. Nix, move Ratliff to NT with Nix his back up. Use... I don't know.. Paea and Houston at 5 tech? Not sure what you do with Young he's a bit small to play a 3-4 end. Stand him up to play LB?

I don't see it.

I don't see why Nix couldn't be used in a 4/3 . We had 2 big DTs when Ted Washington and I foget the other guy. But that D wasn't to shabby. I think people get too caught up in the 3-5 technique bs, and forget whether a guy can play or not.
I'd welcome another big bodied DT to our D. Might actually show what our LBs could do w/out an O-lineman in their face.
I really haven't seen Nix play. Hate ND. But have read nothing but good about him. Except I read he's coming off of some kind of injury.
But as far as the draft. I say take the best player on the board. This coaching staff says they're willing to adapt to their players. I say prove it.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see it.

People got me worried about nix and his injury, said its melton like. But I said Peppers and Wooten were both used inside and nobody thought they were big enough to play the 3-4. Now peppers was given a 3 year deal from a 3-4 defense. I think Houston fits the bill for a 3-4, but I also expect the bears to show 4-3 in situations where Young and Bass would be in the game. Bottom line are you getting to the QB with Shea and Greene standing up or with the fourth lineman. I think we are gonna see some 3-4, some 4-3 even some 4-6 type lineups this year. At least that was why I was looking for a new DC. :hope: Just depends how involved Trestman gets in the defensive game.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I don't see it.

at this point, I think we have enough evidence to prove that the Bears were not kidding when they said they were going to be a hybrid 3-4/4-3 team. I now believe them. We are roughly equally equipped for both, and not really streamlined for either. I don't know if it is wise, but it sure looks like that's what's going to happen. I'm sure everyone will get their snaps.

Ratliff 3-4 NT, 3-4 DE, 4-3 NT
Paea 4-3 NT, 4-3 3-tech, 3-4 DE, (worst case injury) 3-4 NT
Collins 4-3 3-tech, 3-4 DE
Young 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE (worst case injury)
Houston 4-3 DE, 4-3 3-tech, 3-4 DE
Shea 4-3 DE (don't expect much, but in some passing downs)
other misc scrubs/draft picks TBD, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 ?LB

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at this point, I think we have enough evidence to prove that the Bears were not kidding when they said they were going to be a hybrid 3-4/4-3 team. I now believe them. We are roughly equally equipped for both, and not really streamlined for either. I don't know if it is wise, but it sure looks like that's what's going to happen. I'm sure everyone will get their snaps.

Ratliff 3-4 NT, 3-4 DE, 4-3 NT
Paea 4-3 NT, 4-3 3-tech, 3-4 DE, (worst case injury) 3-4 NT
Collins 4-3 3-tech, 3-4 DE
Young 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE (worst case injury)
Houston 4-3 DE, 4-3 3-tech, 3-4 DE
Shea 4-3 DE (don't expect much, but in some passing downs)
other misc scrubs/draft picks TBD, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 ?LB

While Ratliff has played a 3-4 NT, your asking a lot for Paea to step in and try that at his size. Most NT's in a 3-4 are a lot bigger, weight wise than either Ratliff or Paea. You would have to draft a big boy to anchor a 3-4 at the nose, even if only sometimes. Unless by hybrid it means they're only going to play 3-4 in obvious passing downs.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I agree Paea is a little less than ideal, not just because of his weight, but he just doesn't seem to have the lower body strength you'd like to see in a 3-4 NT. Like I said, he'd be a backup. He can play it, but I won't be expecting him to be a Pro Bowler. There are actually many 3-4 teams that have trotted out smaller NTs. They aren't all Vince Wilforks. As long as the guy is too big and strong for the center to be able to both snap the ball and block singlehandedly, the guy can play the position. It's does not have to be a 340 pounder to get there.