• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paxton On TV Tonight

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB TV is showing AZL tonight with M's group playing and Paxton scheduled to start if interested. 7:00 Seattle time.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ten days after posting this I finally actually watched it. One thing I found interesting was the comment the announcers made about Paxton and that was that the mariners said he could only throw fastballs and changeups and no curveballs. The reason given was that M's said he already knows how to throw curves so no need to throw them.

Maybe that is the truth, but most of the time you don't allow curves is when you are trying to protect an asset mostly for trade purposes. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but to me it sounds like he might not be around after all.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ten days after posting this I finally actually watched it. One thing I found interesting was the comment the announcers made about Paxton and that was that the mariners said he could only throw fastballs and changeups and no curveballs. The reason given was that M's said he already knows how to throw curves so no need to throw them.

Maybe that is the truth, but most of the time you don't allow curves is when you are trying to protect an asset mostly for trade purposes. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but to me it sounds like he might not be around after all.
I watched the game that night. Its fun to watch those games and seeing different players from different levels playing against one another. When I watched the game I didn't think he pitched very well. He just didn't seem to be able to put the pitch where he wanted consistently. He would have a bad inning with tons of pitches and follow it up with a good inning. I would say the high pitch count in the first inning was due to some poor D.

I think you are correct in assuming they don't want him to throw curves to protect against injury. I don't know if its to protect him as a trade asset or just to keep an injury prone player healthy for the upcoming season, it should be both IMO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the game that night. Its fun to watch those games and seeing different players from different levels playing against one another. When I watched the game I didn't think he pitched very well. He just didn't seem to be able to put the pitch where he wanted consistently. He would have a bad inning with tons of pitches and follow it up with a good inning. I would say the high pitch count in the first inning was due to some poor D.

I think you are correct in assuming they don't want him to throw curves to protect against injury. I don't know if its to protect him as a trade asset or just to keep an injury prone player healthy for the upcoming season, it should be both IMO.

Could be both reasons.

He does throw a lot of pitches just like in regular season games. I guess I just fell out of favor with him and his style both on the field and in the dugout. Like I have said many times before, he has that Bedard syndrome.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be both reasons.

He does throw a lot of pitches just like in regular season games. I guess I just fell out of favor with him and his style both on the field and in the dugout. Like I have said many times before, he has that Bedard syndrome.
My biggest issue with Paxton as it relates to the Mariners roster is the fact that you absolutely have to plan on him being injured for portions of the season, meaning you need a plan B (same could probably be said for Kuma). When he is healthy and can stay on the mound he has been quite good, just like Bedard was. He started to get into a groove I think the second month of the season and pitched very well, then he got injured.

Personally I would only trade him if it was for the right player and a reliable option was added to the rotation. As it sits currently we are still pretty thin a SP.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest issue with Paxton as it relates to the Mariners roster is the fact that you absolutely have to plan on him being injured for portions of the season, meaning you need a plan B (same could probably be said for Kuma). When he is healthy and can stay on the mound he has been quite good, just like Bedard was. He started to get into a groove I think the second month of the season and pitched very well, then he got injured.

Personally I would only trade him if it was for the right player and a reliable option was added to the rotation. As it sits currently we are still pretty thin a SP.

Yes, you would have to add depth if he was gone, or I believe like last year we need to add depth regardless. He is a good pitcher when healthy for 5 to 6 innings before coming out because he has already thrown 100+ pitches just like Bedard. If he was the 5th starter and we had plenty of depth to draw from, then he wouldn't bother me. But he is used as one of the relied on pieces and that just can't be.