• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pavol Demitra appreciation thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d13.jpg

d12.jpg

d8.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Russo tweeted earlier today that Marian Gaborik lost his two closest friends this summer in Derek Boogaard and Pavol Demitra...

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:( I cant believe all these players have died this summer, let alone the vast majority of a major team and a former Flyer.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Mike Russo tweeted earlier today that Marian Gaborik lost his two closest friends this summer in Derek Boogaard and Pavol Demitra...

Gillis was pretty tight with Demitra and McCrimmon, too.
and following the Rypien thing... damn.
Canucks' Gillis hit hard by Lokomotiv tragedy

remember that last minute save?
[YOUTUBE]DLdIJLL1f-c[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a post copied from the PEI Rocket's board. PEI use to be home to the AHL's Baby Sens in the early to mid 90s and Demitra was that franchise's all-time leading scorer.

A few memories of Pavol on PEI...

- After his friend and teammate Radek hamr was shipped to the IHL, Pavol was upset and not in a good mood. The next game against Springfield he was penalized for having an illegal stick (curve). He stewed in the penalty box. Uncharacteristically, the future Lady Byng Trophy winner was chirping with some Springfield players. Then, he and fellow featherweight Bob Wren went toe-to-toe, Pavol with the decisive win, including giving Wren a broken nose. It was really the one-and-only fight Demitra ever had.

- Pavol's first season in Charlottetown was eventful off the ice as well, as he mistook somebody else's home for his after an evening about town. The local authorities were called, sorted the situation and Pavol eventually found his way to his proper home.

- Pavol frequented my business and I came to know him well. He wrote his first-ever cheque to me, which I had to fill out for him as he had no clue what to do. He went on to earn over $40 million in the NHL, so he probably wrote many more cheques after that first one.

- Pavol was a treat to watch. I especially enjoyed seeing him blossom with the St. Louis Blues after Ottawa (GM Pierre Gauthier) gave him away. Put him with the right linemates and he was unstoppable. 81 points in 48 games in 1995-96 was remarkable.

- So sorry for his family. Pavol lost a young son a few years ago. Pavol himself survived a terrible car wreck just last year.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Ill never forget the Olympic game against Russia that he played ... He was the best player on the ice

watched it laying in bed in the dark and I just kept thinking, man why cant he play like this for his club team. I guess the flag just meant more for him and I cant blame him for that. I could have pvr'ed the 3rd period/rest of the game and gone to bed but I just felt like I needed to keep watching because it felt like something special was going to happen.

and then he scores that shootout winner at around midnight pacific time that was just a magical, deft move ... and then the elation

just a great moment that Ill never forget

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Ill never forget the Olympic game against Russia that he played ... He was the best player on the ice

watched it laying in bed in the dark and I just kept thinking, man why cant he play like this for his club team. I guess the flag just meant more for him and I cant blame him for that. I could have pvr'ed the 3rd period/rest of the game and gone to bed but I just felt like I needed to keep watching because it felt like something special was going to happen.

and then he scores that shootout winner at around midnight pacific time that was just a magical, deft move ... and then the elation

just a great moment that Ill never forget

this was my fav moment of his as well. same thought in that game. Im pretty sure all canucks fans had it. RIP Demo... man its so surreal this off season

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sens traded Demitra for Christer Olsson. :tsk:

How good would a prime Demitra have looked on those Sens teams with Hossa, Havlat, Alfredsson, etc. :frusty:

RIP Pavol.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I never heard he died, I was a fan when he played for the wild. RIP

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^

As jstew mentioned, he had a hell of a tournament during the Vancouver Olympics - I have to admit though with all the Flames on the Finnish team, I was cheering for Suomi in the bronze medal game.