• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patrick Willis Expected to retire

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How are they melting down? Obviously Willis retiring wasn't anticipated, but Gore and Smith are near the end of their careers. Smith has been contemplating retiring for a couple of years now. The team is starting to transition to younger players, if not this year than probably next

yep, the time frame is just moved up one year. since we have a new Coaching Staff, MAYBE it is a good time to transition?

Their leaving will have an effect, but it isn't "melt down" by any means. The most impact will be from their vet leadership. Even if Justin and Frank stayed, they'd face less playing time. IF Willis' injury is that bad, he wouldn't even play ahead of Borland

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Total meltdown is an understatement! Nobody left from SB team in just 2 years..the downward spiral continues unabated. I thought it had ended with the assembly of the coaching staff. Though the bad news would be over if we could just get over the hump of player dischantment over the coaching change. But the adage of first the coach then the players leave was too strong a force it would seem. Think they are not connected? They are.. We still have the Bowman rumor of being cuttable and his nagging injury not being fully disclosed (he's not recovering as expected or can not pass his physical) and you have a total rout of the stellar D of only year's past. Borland is fine but even he will be pressed to recover and certainly there has been a thinning of the ranks. We are in deep banta dpoo-doo right now. Thanks Jed for getting this party started.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hardy to the Niners rumor...yeah winning with class yet again..but I 'm not in the winning with cloaks crowd so that would actually be a good thing.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total meltdown is an understatement! Nobody left from SB team in just 2 years..the downward spiral continues unabated. I thought it had ended with the assembly of the coaching staff. Though the bad news would be over if we could just get over the hump of player dischantment over the coaching change. But the adage of first the coach then the players leave was too strong a force it would seem. Think they are not connected? They are.. We still have the Bowman rumor of being cuttable and his nagging injury not being fully disclosed (he's not recovering as expected or can not pass his physical) and you have a total rout of the stellar D of only year's past. Borland is fine but even he will be pressed to recover and certainly there has been a thinning of the ranks. We are in deep banta dpoo-doo right now. Thanks Jed for getting this party started.

While I didn't like most of the coaching changes, except for Willis leaving, how is any of this not unexpected with Gore and cowboy? Losing players near the end of the careers is not unexpected. Look at the 49ers history. Change is going to happen. This is not a meltdown

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. With the salary cap we've actually done a pretty good job keeping that D together. Willis was a huge surprise, but Gore/Smith/Iupati/Crabs were all things that didn't come out of left field. Despite all the coaching changes you have to believe (please baby Jesus make it true) that Trent has a plan. We have a lot of great players current and emerging on D, and enough on the O side of the world to plug in a few solid FA's and hope the draft is good to us. FA starts today, and the draft hasn't happened.

The media today is a buzzard with a magnifying glass...almost TMZ like...it's ridiculous. While it's easy to panic, and trust me I listened to the Cure wearing all black laying on my back in the office for the first half of the day, there's a long way to go, and a short time to get there...we're going to know a lot more about our team in the coming months.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

When players decide to retire, the larger factors start with themselves, not the team.

Whether the Owner was Jed, Eddie, or Bill Gates, Willis would've retired. Same with Justin, the big factors in his decision starts with him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly. With the salary cap we've actually done a pretty good job keeping that D together. Willis was a huge surprise, but Gore/Smith/Iupati/Crabs were all things that didn't come out of left field. Despite all the coaching changes you have to believe (please baby Jesus make it true) that Trent has a plan. We have a lot of great players current and emerging on D, and enough on the O side of the world to plug in a few solid FA's and hope the draft is good to us. FA starts today, and the draft hasn't happened.

The media today is a buzzard with a magnifying glass...almost TMZ like...it's ridiculous. While it's easy to panic, and trust me I listened to the Cure wearing all black laying on my back in the office for the first half of the day, there's a long way to go, and a short time to get there...we're going to know a lot more about our team in the coming months.

yep, the draft is the lifeblood and is the main factor whether we improve or decline. Add a few value FA's and we'll stay competitive.

Once we get past the 'name recognition', we'll be fine.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing but respect for Willis. I applaud him for his decision.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing but respect for Willis. I applaud him for his decision.

Willis posted this to his whosay account earlier. I don't know all the differences between it and twitter:

Today is my Future, Past, and Present all in one..it's bigger than me, it always has been and it always will be...I thank you guys for everything, it has been an absolute pleasure....I look forward to the continuation of my journey... I feel full with something that needs to be out, and i just want to share it! Success is only as beautiful as our Consistency! My life is based On a True Concept! I know I'm not the only one!

#learning #Understanding #Love #Joy #Become #Manifest and #cultivate #Matthew6:10 #sow #reap #harvest #Embrace #Zeal #Potential #Trinity #ConceptofPrinciples #TheGoodnews #TheGoodPrinciples #GodsPrinciples #GodsKingdom #Principles #Luke1:37 #Psalm18:32-33 #AlwaysBelieve #HumbleButHungry #Proverbs19:2 #Proverbs19:21 #Proverbs27:17 (Colossians 1:16) (TheGospelsParadoxinthisgeneration) #John6:38 #John15:9 #Hebrews11:1 The message! Purpose for Vision! #Proverbs29 I'm in love with these words I am here to do the work that my father sent me to do!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomsula on Willis at the press conference:
- Tomsula speaking very slowly. Voice cracking trying to hold back tears. Has never met anybody more honest or humble. "That's what a man looks like in every sense of the word." Called him insightful, has wisdom beyond his years. Never has heard him complain.
- Tomsula told him he loves him and hopes that everybody talks about the man he is from here on out.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Patrick Willis explains his surprising retirement decision | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

Yep, the main issue had to be health related. Not just the toe injury but how it affected his feet and leg. It had to be chronic too, else his surgery would've been recovering well.

Anyway, can't blame him for leaving and thank him for also helping our cap. Cause he may have decided to "hang around" another year, knowing he wouldn't play much, or play poorly.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Willis explains his surprising retirement decision | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

Yep, the main issue had to be health related. Not just the toe injury but how it affected his feet and leg. It had to be chronic too, else his surgery would've been recovering well.

Anyway, can't blame him for leaving and thank him for also helping our cap. Cause he may have decided to "hang around" another year, knowing he wouldn't play much, or play poorly.

Sad day. Alot of us saw the Montana, Rice, Young, Bryant Young etc retire, but not many of us have seen a guy drafted recently, followed his whole career, appreciate it, and then see him retire in the modern era. I'm really going to miss Willis and it's a big reason why even though we all know Frank doesn't quite have it anymore, it's still been tough to see him go. Kinda like Rice.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sad day. Alot of us saw the Montana, Rice, Young, Bryant Young etc retire, but not many of us have seen a guy drafted recently, followed his whole career, appreciate it, and then see him retire in the modern era. I'm really going to miss Willis and it's a big reason why even though we all know Frank doesn't quite have it anymore, it's still been tough to see him go. Kinda like Rice.

yep, it is always hard seeing our best players leave. At least in Willis' case, he isn't suiting up for another team like others.

The only 'greats' I can think of that retired a 49er, is Bryant Young?

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A complete career finished with no regrets. Meet him a few times in the public and always seemed like a nice man. Glad I was able to see him play a few times live. Thanks for the great memories and best of luck to your future.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Willis calls it a tough decision but a very easy one at the same time.
- Always told himself that he wanted to leave the game on his own terms.
- Doesn't feel like he "left anything on the table."
- Thanked Jed and the York family for the journey and for everything they've done. Welcoming him in and giving him the chance. Humbled to have had the opportunity to have played and met as many great people as he's met. Was fueled by the people who said he shouldn't have been taken that high or been the first middle linebacker taken in his draft.
- The game of football will still be a part of his life.
- Given his health today, "my feet... they have worked and worked and worked and worked.
- Blessed to be able to say that "I get to retire happy."
- Thanked everybody in the organization, including the custodians.
- Told Trent that he isn't sure if he feels more happy today or the day he was drafted. He prays for everybody to feel this kind of happiness.

Q&A
- How much is the retirement about football, health related, and spiritual? Always has studied life. Always wanted to know why change happens and the timing of things. Brings up his feet again. There's something about "my feet." "When you have these feet (like they are)....."
- "I no longer have the feet to wow you guys anymore. I don't have much left in these toes. I watch the guys walking around with no hips. They can barely walk or their fingers are like this (shows his fingers messed up). It's my health first. I can't ignore it."
- What's he going to do now? Going to get to do what he wants to do. He's his own boss now. "If I want to go fishing tomorrow, I'm going to go fishing tomorrow. If I want to speak to kids, I'm going to speak to kids. If I want to watch my brother play baseball, I'm going to go watch him play baseball."
- "It's my health first."

More Q&A
What happened because he said he had 5-6 years left? "What happened was I learned an important lesson and an important value in life." Then stated a Proverbs verse. Brought up the foot issues again.
"My feet, for as much as I want to play with Chris and NoVorro, but I have to be honest, if I don't have what I need to play at my best then I can't be out there doing that. I don't want to just collect a paycheck if I can't do it."

He's talking as much about the current state of his feet as he has about religion, doing other things in life, etc., if not more so than those other things.
Talked again about how bad his feet hurt when talking to teammates about their own bodies and what theirs looked like. Couldn't believe that theirs didn't hurt as bad as his did.
He was given a round of applause at the end after he was done speaking. Not sure if they stood up for him or not.

He also ruled out the chances of any return in the future. "I'm leaving this with closure."

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they melting down? Obviously Willis retiring wasn't anticipated, but Gore and Smith are near the end of their careers. Smith has been contemplating retiring for a couple of years now. The team is starting to transition to younger players, if not this year than probably next
Probably the biggest losers in the NFL this off-season. The whole atmosphere reeks of mismagement and dysfunction.