• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patrick Willis Expected to retire

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Expect Patrick Willis To Retire
March 9th at 9:18am CST by Luke Adams
The big 49ers news hinted at by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk earlier today appears to involve linebacker Patrick Willis. According to Rand Getlin of Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter), the 49ers are bracing for the loss of Willis, who is expected to retire from the NFL.

While the Niners had been preparing for the possibility that veteran defensive end Justin Smith decides to call it a career this winter, the news of Willis potentially deciding to end his career comes as a surprise. Prior to a 2014 season cut short by injury, Willis had earned a spot in the Pro Bowl in each of his even seasons, and only turned 30 years old in January.

However, when he landed on the injured reserve list back in November, Willis revealed that the toe on which he was undergoing surgery had been a chronic issue, limiting his effectiveness for years.

“I don’t look to play this game for just another year,” Willis told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com at the time. “I feel like I have five or six more great years of football left in my body. Unfortunately, this toe was telling me otherwise.”

We’ve yet to hear from Willis himself that he’ll retire, and even if he does decide to bow out of the NFL, it’s not clear that it’s entirely due to the toe issues. However, given his stated desire to play “five or six more” seasons, the veteran linebacker presumably wouldn’t announce his retirement unless he felt his body wouldn’t allow him to continue playing.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has now imploded. Bummer.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG this makes no sense. Why would he retire.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What a complete dumpster fire over the last 24 hours...Gore gone, Kap potentially getting traded, and now Willis is gone. What do all of the guys in the banner at the top of this page have in common? NONE ARE CURRENTLY WITH THE TEAM.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im about to throw up. Only good news we have 8 mill in cap if Willis retires. 15 mill if Willis and Smith retire. Also thank god we have Borland.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toe injuries can be serious business. Deion had a toe injury that affected him over the last few years of his career & forced him to retire when he still had some left in the tank.

Being only 30 yrs old, maybe he takes year off & then returns the following season if the toe completely heals. Or maybe he has earned more than enough money to risk further damage to his long term health & happiness.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This puts us 21 million under the cap. It doesnt include Dockett's 4 million for this season and I hope all this news coming out doesnt chase Torrey away now.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the news about Willis I wonder if we keep Brooks now even though he is an OLB.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if these events all play out the same with Harbaugh as our coach this year. It's been a terrible year to be a 9er fan. Sorry to see Willis go.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocking news, Barry Sanders maybe being the only other more shocking retire at such an early age. I definitely want Pat around, but if he feels it's time to move on then I wish him the absolute best in all he does. Gave everything he had every game and every year even during the worst seasons. Nothing but a great guy who stayed out of trouble and I've never even heard opposing players say anything bad about him.

With Justin Smith probably retiring too it's definitely a changing of the guard this upcoming year. I hope Bowman is really healthy and Borland can repeat what he did last year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to see Willis go. That one was a shocker but all the ones were not unexpected. J. Smith and Gore near the end of their careers. We also knew Iupati probably wouldn't be back. It is time for some of the younger players to step up

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocking news, Barry Sanders maybe being the only other more shocking retire at such an early age. I definitely want Pat around, but if he feels it's time to move on then I wish him the absolute best in all he does. Gave everything he had every game and every year even during the worst seasons. Nothing but a great guy who stayed out of trouble and I've never even heard opposing players say anything bad about him.

With Justin Smith probably retiring too it's definitely a changing of the guard this upcoming year. I hope Bowman is really healthy and Borland can repeat what he did last year.
I agree, I just don't get it. The season is like 6 months away. Only good thing he is doing now so we can use that money on someone in FA market.

Give me Revis.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Front office looks like Fools. No one wants to play for them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was really about the Front Office, Willis could have asked to have been released and signed with another team.
I think it has a little to do with it. especially with cowboy. There really isn't a reason for willis to retire. Surgery went great and his rehab was going well. He is only 30 years old. Only played 8 years. Like someone said this is like Barry sanders retiring.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having an injury that causes chronic pain, is not something to take lightly. The game of football and money takes a back seat or at least it should. I have chronic pain in my back from an injury building cars for 10 years, yeah I made alot of money but it wasnt worth it. If I take my son to hit a few at the batting cages, Im in the bed with a stiff back for two days.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holee shit. This team will be a shell of it's former self one the season starts.

Harbaugh beginning to look like a genius for getting out when he did.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to see Willis retire at 30, but health is more important than money. Class act who gave it all on the field. Will miss him terribly. Hope that Bowman can come back to form.