• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pass rush

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see it. If SD signs him and cuts him he can get any contract from any team, right? So why can't they just sign him and trade him? I don't see why that would impact the new teams rookie cap
I think he still has to fit under the rookie pool money. Now the story I read was about trading him not cutting him. There's no reason for SD to cut him anyway, as us he cost them zero money no he's not taking a roster spot.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I read was talk about Dallas trading their 17 1st, Leary, and other assets.
I'd like to read it if you find it. As we all know many writers struggle with the nuances of the cap and don't seem to understand it, so it isn't necessarily true because it's in an article, but like I said I don't really know the rule and am trying to approach it purely from a common sense perspective. Biggest question is were they assuming SD signing him and then trading him?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, what about taking a player in the supplemental draft? In theory every team pretty much spends their rookie pool exactly, so how can they sign a first round supplemental player?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, what about taking a player in the supplemental draft? In theory every team pretty much spends their rookie pool exactly, so how can they sign a first round supplemental player?
I'm not sure but my guess is supplemental drafted players may count against next year's cap considering it counts against the next draft.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Landry hat 3 days ago
Okay, okay. I get it. You’ve seen the image above the article title and thought to yourself, “This is silly”, but hear me out.
Back in April, the San Diego Chargers selected Joey Bosa, a defensive end from Ohio State, with the third overall pick in the NFL Draft. Since then, he has been quarreling with the team over language in his contract.
Essentially, the Chargers want to include offset language in Bosa’s contract. What that means is if the Chargers release him, they are off the hook for his guaranteed salary should he sign with another team. Additionally, they want to prorate his signing bonus over the length of his contract (pay 25% of the bonus each of the four years) rather than pay it all upfront.
Bosa has told the Charger’s that he will sign his deal if they pay his bonus upfront, or remove the offset language. So far, neither side has budged.
Here is where it gets interesting.
The Chargers have until August 10 to trade Bosa, otherwise they are stuck with him. However, if he continues his holdout past Week 10 of the regular season, he becomes ineligible to play in 2016. Should he not sign his contract by the time the 2017 NFL Draft rolls around, he re-enters the draft and San Diego loses his rights and yields nothing from their first round pick.
So, one would think the Chargers would rather rid themselves of the headache.

It is no secret that the Chargers have a bad offensive line. In 2015, Pro Football Focus ranked their unit as the worst in the league. Entering the 2016 season, they have them ranked as the 29th unit, ahead of only Chicago, Los Angeles and Seattle.
The Cowboys have a starting-caliber offensive guard on their roster by the name of Ron Leary. Last season, he lost his job to rookie La’el Collins, and Collins is expected to retain the starting job for the foreseeable future.
The Chargers would likely love to add a player like Leary, as he could immediately step in and upgrade their line. The Cowboys, with their glaring need at defensive end, could use the high-quality help, and can expend some offensive line depth.
Could a trade be in the future?
Hypothetical Proposal: Ronald Leary and Cowboys’ 2017 4th round pick for Joey Bosa and Charger’s 2016 6th round pick.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Bosa and I think Marinelli would absolutely love him and get a lot out of him. I think he'd be a day 1 starter on this team for sure. He is going to be an effort guy with a decent first step, good strength, good against the run and also a good motor and pass rusher. Maybe not quite the first step of some rookies, but good enough to be a good edge rusher.
You may be right about Bosa...Marinelli loves talent and effort, no question.

I'm just going on a hunch that money rules and after he's paid...the game becomes less important and maintaining health is the biggest objective. The guy has talent, no question, and comes from a back ground. Just not seeing difference maker at this level. :nod: