• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pass rush wishing we had clemons?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is this pass rush just not there? The only sack we got last night was from bobby wagner on an unblocked run to cousins and the announcer got it right when we barely ever blitz our LBs and normally attack with our 4 DL men the skins were just caught off guard. We really didnt get our hands on manning (but then again who does) and rivers was just converting 3rd downs left and right which was the reason why we lost that game.

Think it was a mistake cutting clemons and that we should have tried to keep him one more season? BTW where the hell is bruce irvin another 1 tackle game from him.....

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not but we also technically didn't have Clemons healthy last year and we did ok. With his Cap number I don't think cutting him was a mistake. They have gotten pressure but just not quite getting home. I think it will pick up once these guys get in rhythm.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is this pass rush just not there? The only sack we got last night was from bobby wagner on an unblocked run to cousins and the announcer got it right when we barely ever blitz our LBs and normally attack with our 4 DL men the skins were just caught off guard. We really didnt get our hands on manning (but then again who does) and rivers was just converting 3rd downs left and right which was the reason why we lost that game.

Think it was a mistake cutting clemons and that we should have tried to keep him one more season? BTW where the hell is bruce irvin another 1 tackle game from him.....

Coug is right. We did fine without Clem last year, and he just wasn't worth trading the cap figure at the risk of losing some other, more important, players.

As for Irvin, he was doing exactly what an OLB in our defense is asked to do. He held the edge and kept forcing the run back into the middle of the defense.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as worried about the pass rush at this point of the season as I still am about the lack of depth at CB and to a lessor extent, TE.

Seattle doesn't blitz much so you are expecting most of the sacks to come from the normal rush. They should still get their share, but they shouldn't lead the league compared to the high risk heavy blitzing defenses either.

The Seahawks pretty much setup to kill your running game and leave you with nothing but underneath passing. They live to prevent the explosive big plays.

Giving up 17 to the Skins at home, but also destroying their normally potent running game wasn't bad considering the plethora of self inflicted wounds by way of stupid penalties.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were not getting allot of sacks but we are getting pressure... Hopefully we can improve the sack numbers as the season roll's on.... We have some guy's that can get there... Clem was a great guy on the edge no doubt... But that's how the NFL roll's you can't keep everyone.. I"m not upset with the pressure were getting upfront though because qb's are getting hands in there faces and forced to hurry passes quit a bit with our D ... Teams start getting into game shape more and more as the season roll's on so let's hope our sack numbers improve...

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin looked really good last night. No sacks, but tons of pressure, forcing rushed throws. He needs to be in the pass rush mix more.

As for Clemons, I think it was time to part. He took a step back last year and while I don't follow Jax at all, I haven't really heard him lighting it up there.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that the D is getting pressure on the opposing QB at all, or at least not consistently. I don't care about sacks, I care about pressure, and this D hasn't been able to get QBs off balance yet. They did succeed in flushing Cousins a couple times last night, but nothing that didn't keep him from making a play anyway. Even when we knew they weren't running the ball, we could disrupt the passing game with any significant way. I expect it to get better, but right now I just don't see the pressure being there.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin had a great game. The whole story isn't told in the stat lines.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the pressure has been pretty good actually. I do think that the interior line needs to a little better and collapsing the pocket without giving the QB escape routes. That accounted for a couple of big plays for the Redskins but generally their offense was well contained.

The games have been close so the D hasn't been able to pin their ears back and go after the QB.

Given the dearth of turnovers so far, I'm actually fine with where the D is. Only 2 picks and no fumble recoveries so far. That will come around.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that the D is getting pressure on the opposing QB at all, or at least not consistently. I don't care about sacks, I care about pressure, and this D hasn't been able to get QBs off balance yet. They did succeed in flushing Cousins a couple times last night, but nothing that didn't keep him from making a play anyway. Even when we knew they weren't running the ball, we could disrupt the passing game with any significant way. I expect it to get better, but right now I just don't see the pressure being there.

Cousins had a couple long bombs that made the stats look better ... His best drive was near the end of the game but before that there weren't any real long sustained drives... I thought the pressure was pretty decent upfront ...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I really wished Jared Allen would have signed the deal and the bears not have offered him more money. Our defense is great but if our offense struggles like they did in the second half of both the denver and redskins game and the opposing team keeps the game close by kicking field goals were gonna end up with a L. All I keep thinking about is the cardinals game last season at home. Those plays that RW does is great but when we face a discipline defense those wont work.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Allen as well, but would we have been able to sign our own guys had we brought him in?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins had a couple long bombs that made the stats look better ... His best drive was near the end of the game but before that there weren't any real long sustained drives... I thought the pressure was pretty decent upfront ...

Cousins isn't very good and he missed some throws that he had no pressure and just didn't make the throw needed. Tony Romo (like him or not) will be much better than that, and if the Seahawks only pressure him 1 in every 5 or 6 passes, then the Cowboys will definitely have a chance to put up some numbers.

I'm happy with 3-1, I just think there are areas the team needs to improve on, and IMO getting after the opposing QB is one of those areas.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins isn't very good and he missed some throws that he had no pressure and just didn't make the throw needed. Tony Romo (like him or not) will be much better than that, and if the Seahawks only pressure him 1 in every 5 or 6 passes, then the Cowboys will definitely have a chance to put up some numbers.

I'm happy with 3-1, I just think there are areas the team needs to improve on, and IMO getting after the opposing QB is one of those areas.

The pressure upfront I thought was pretty good. Defense knocked down some passes and should have picked off Cousins a couple of times but dropped. There were a few times Cousins did have time but that's going to happen in every game. What I would like to see is a few more blitzes dialed up but overall I thought a good game.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have also faced Rodgers, Rivers and Manning which has a lot to do with it. We have to keep in mind that those are likely the best 3 QB's we will face this year. I think the numbers will improve for the defense going forward.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the pressure up front is fine, not great, but not bad either. Also I think the Seahawks did the right thing when they let Clemons go and Allen isn't doing much with the Bears as far as I've noticed, so no tears shed over him going there. The defense will get better as the season goes on ( barring injuries) IMO and over all I'm happy with the season so far ( except I wish the Seahawks could of pulled off a win at SD).

I think we Seahawks fans have just raised the bar a bit to high, as far as expectations go this year.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we miss Red more than Clemons. I know Red was usually out there on the first couple downs, but he demanded a double team which allowed Bennett or Avril to do their thing either inside or outside when it was play action or straight drop. Clemons was not the same after his injury and though he did get pressure for us last season, he did not have the explosion off the line he used to have.

Kevin Williams is slowly taking over Red's spot as well as McDaniel I think, but they are still working into it. I also think the DBs have played off a bit more due to the rules enforcement focus by the refs. This allows better separation and routes for the WR.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we can handle Rodgers and Manning at home we can handle Romo... I'm not worried about it... We are getting pressure were just not getting sacks... And a sack is a glorified tackle for a loss... Pressure has not been that bad upfront... Teams are also adjusting and getting ride of the ball faster vs our D ... If we continue to stuff the run like we have we'll be fine...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the pressure up front is fine, not great, but not bad either. Also I think the Seahawks did the right thing when they let Clemons go and Allen isn't doing much with the Bears as far as I've noticed, so no tears shed over him going there. The defense will get better as the season goes on ( barring injuries) IMO and over all I'm happy with the season so far ( except I wish the Seahawks could of pulled off a win at SD).

I think we Seahawks fans have just raised the bar a bit to high, as far as expectations go this year.

Agreed...