• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panda

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I speculate who we might see at 3rd. Obviously, Gillaspie has been called up and Arias is here as well, but I wonder if Culberson gets a look at second and Arias/Burriss cover 3rd. Culberson has been on a tear lately.

Also speculate if the Giants try Dominguez.

I think this certainly opens the tryout portion of our program.

Culby and CD are certainly next in line should Gillaspie falter at all.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So I speculate who we might see at 3rd. Obviously, Gillaspie has been called up and Arias is here as well, but I wonder if Culberson gets a look at second and Arias/Burriss cover 3rd. Culberson has been on a tear lately.

Also speculate if the Giants try Dominguez.

Doubt that ever happens. Dude is 25, and is a total one tool player. All he has going for him is raw power. He can't take a walk, doesn't hit, and strikes out like a mofo, all while in repeating three levels twice. I doubt that kid ever makes it to the majors.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt that ever happens. Dude is 25, and is a total one tool player. All he has going for him is raw power. He can't take a walk, doesn't hit, and strikes out like a mofo, all while in repeating three levels twice. I doubt that kid ever makes it to the majors.

If you are talking about Chris Dominguez, I'd like to hear which 3 different levels he repeated twice. As far as I can tell, the only level he has been in during 2 separate seasons is AA - he was promoted mid-way through last season, and started the season there this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are talking about Chris Dominguez, I'd like to hear which 3 different levels he repeated twice. As far as I can tell, the only level he has been in during 2 separate seasons is AA - he was promoted mid-way through last season, and started the season there this year.

And he actually hit there, which is rare. Also, dude reortedly plays ++ D at 3b and has a rocket arm.

I do not see him as an AS, but he may be able to put together a small career.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I mis-read his short season A/A/A+ numbers....

Regardless, Guys who don't hit over .250 in the minors rarely do so in the bigs. He's like Pedro Feliz minus the occasional spurt of batting average. And it would be one thing if he was trading that AVG and strikeouts for oodles of HR, but he's not.

Like I said, he doesn't hit for average, doesn't get on base, and Ks a lot. What about that screams big league player to you? Cool beans, the guy can field. Join the line of thousands of other players that had a glove, but their bats kept them out of MLB.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I mis-read his short season A/A/A+ numbers....

Regardless, Guys who don't hit over .250 in the minors rarely do so in the bigs. He's like Pedro Feliz minus the occasional spurt of batting average. And it would be one thing if he was trading that AVG and strikeouts for oodles of HR, but he's not.

Like I said, he doesn't hit for average, doesn't get on base, and Ks a lot. What about that screams big league player to you? Cool beans, the guy can field. Join the line of thousands of other players that had a glove, but their bats kept them out of MLB.

Player A: 18 HR, 85 RBIs, .266/.302/.432

Player B: 11 HR, 52 RBIs, .287/.312/.476

Rather than play the guessing game, I will tell you that player A is Dominguez last season at SJ and Richmond. Player B is Pablo Sandoval's 2007 season in Class-A San Jose, one year before he got the call to the majors.

I am by no means saying that Dominuez is going to be like Sandoval and is going to explode onto the big league stage like Panda did. But I am saying that we need to not write off the kid just because he isn't in the majors right now.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One important difference is that Pablo was 20 that year, while Chris turned 25 last year (Pablo's current age).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoulda just removed them in the offseason prophylactically. Like astronauts take out their appendices.

This post has been festering in my mind since yesterday. Panda is a switch-hitter who grabs the bat by the knob of the bat. They absolutely should have fore-seen this injury and been proactive.

Does anyone know if removing the hamate pre-injury is risky or even possible?

rep

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One important difference is that Pablo was 20 that year, while Chris turned 25 last year (Pablo's current age).

One thing that separate's baseball from other sports is that people can develop at a later age and still be successful for a long period of time. In basketball or football, the constant strain that is put on their body puts the prime of their careers at a lower age, making it essential to develop players early. There are a few phenoms out there, but for the most part it's ok for players to develop at a bit slower rate. Eventually if the guy figures it out, he will have a spot on a roster somewhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post has been festering in my mind since yesterday. Panda is a switch-hitter who grabs the bat by the knob of the bat. They absolutely should have fore-seen this injury and been proactive.

Does anyone know if removing the hamate pre-injury is risky or even possible?

rep

I'm not in the medical field, but I would think pre-injury removal would be even easier because of the absence of trauma to the bone itself and to the immediate area.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not in the medical field, but I would think pre-injury removal would be even easier because of the absence of trauma to the bone itself and to the immediate area.

I always fall back on Occam's Razor for this...there's a lot of smart people and doctors watching the team. If it made sense to do this they would have....right?

Maybe not before he got hurt on the first one, but you would think if it was the right thing to do they'd have said 'oh wow he's going to do that to the other one too, let's just do it in the winter'

My guess is there's always a risk you take it out and you fuck something up or he can't swing as well after. So you don't take the chance. Quite literally "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always fall back on Occam's Razor for this...there's a lot of smart people and doctors watching the team. If it made sense to do this they would have....right?

Maybe not before he got hurt on the first one, but you would think if it was the right thing to do they'd have said 'oh wow he's going to do that to the other one too, let's just do it in the winter'

My guess is there's always a risk you take it out and you fuck something up or he can't swing as well after. So you don't take the chance. Quite literally "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

I am somewhat OK with explanation, but now he is out for 1.5 - 2 months of the season instead of the off-season.

Just speculating, but the G's med staff reportedly blew it with Lowery and DeRosa, and now here is another apparent piece of anecdotal evidence with Panda...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that separate's baseball from other sports is that people can develop at a later age and still be successful for a long period of time. In basketball or football, the constant strain that is put on their body puts the prime of their careers at a lower age, making it essential to develop players early. There are a few phenoms out there, but for the most part it's ok for players to develop at a bit slower rate. Eventually if the guy figures it out, he will have a spot on a roster somewhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Solid post. I agree.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am somewhat OK with explanation, but now he is out for 1.5 - 2 months of the season instead of the off-season.

Just speculating, but the G's med staff reportedly blew it with Lowery and DeRosa, and now here is another apparent piece of anecdotal evidence with Panda...

But that's what I'm saying, they may have 'blown it', or the right call might have been to not mess with something that's not already broke. Should they give pitchers pre-emptive TJ surgeries in the offseason? Or in A ball so it's out of the way before the majors?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The Giants trainer said "they" joked about doing it after he broke the first one. But I don't think you can really fit this into the "incompetent medical staff" narrative unless you can show other athletes have had it done, such that it was realistic option, i.e. an option with quantified risks.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants trainer said "they" joked about doing it after he broke the first one. But I don't think you can really fit this into the "incompetent medical staff" narrative unless you can show other athletes have had it done, such that it was realistic option, i.e. an option with quantified risks.

This.

I'm assuming it's been thought about and decided against.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's what I'm saying, they may have 'blown it', or the right call might have been to not mess with something that's not already broke. Should they give pitchers pre-emptive TJ surgeries in the offseason? Or in A ball so it's out of the way before the majors?

I definitely get your argument, and it makes sense, except that TJ has a 18 mo recovery period and CAN recur while a hamate break has a 6 week recovery period and CANNOT recur -- BIG difference.