• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paging Vance McDonald

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For the record: Vance McDonald wasn't on my radar in the draft. However, his blocking & the fact that he bulldozed Richard Sherman got me a little excited about him. However, I think terrorists kidnapped him a few weeks ago because the only place I've seen him is on milk cartons.

Has he been injured or something? Do we need to call the FBI & open a missing persons file?

Where'd ya go Vance? Is it 'cause we were too hard on you after that drop against the Panthers? We forgive ya buddy! We all make mistakes. Just come back & dust yourself off. It'll be ok!

Crabby's back, and they can't cover everyone. You might get a chance in some 2 TE sets. Not just blocking! Get those mitts ready 'cause they might just call your name in the next few weeks.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to get McDolald involved. They really needed to before Crab was back, and still didnt. I dont know if that is a problem of McDonald not getting open, or Kaep not getting him the ball when he is open, or Roman's inability to get him involved. Which ever the case, We need him to contribute. He just has too much potential to be so quiet on the field. Then again he is a rookie, hopefully we will see more of him next season when he has better acclimated to the NFL.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's me being optimistic for a second (unrealistic too?)

Players who are a little on the bigger side when they're drafted tend to cut down a bit of weight over the course of the season. Vance is a big dude, but maybe he's gotten a little leaner & even a little quicker since day 1?

The Niners have relied heavily on a couple of rooks this season (Reid & Vance). Now that Vernon's healthy not so much; but I want to go back to throwing in the ball in 2 TE sets because defenses are playing too close to the line of scrimmage. And in 2 TE sets you know whom on whom they're going to key the coverage.

Here's hoping Vance has gotten some... how did Harbaugh put it... football calluses?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was expected a little more from Vance. I think he will break out some next year but just thought he would be breaking out about now. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like we drafted the wrong Rice TE.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's had an "ankle" injury since the end of September and categorized it as "really sore" since the Tennessee game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I don't buy that. Neither Rice TE ha done much of anything in the receiving game; Vance, on the other hand, has WAY more potential than Luke Wilson. Even Vernon Davis looked bad his first couple of seasons. Plus Vance proved early on he can be a force in both run-blocking and pass-blocking.

I'm actually glad to hear he'd been playing hurt because that goes a long way to explain his play lately.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy that. Neither Rice TE ha done much of anything in the receiving game; Vance, on the other hand, has WAY more potential than Luke Wilson. Even Vernon Davis looked bad his first couple of seasons. Plus Vance proved early on he can be a force in both run-blocking and pass-blocking.

I'm actually glad to hear he'd been playing hurt because that goes a long way to explain his play lately.

I was only kidding.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also have to remember that Kaep is still struggling but improving on going through his reads so a large part of it probably relates to him not being the primary read and Kaep not making it that far through progressions.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also have to remember that Kaep is still struggling but improving on going through his reads so a large part of it probably relates to him not being the primary read and Kaep not making it that far through progressions.

I think Kaepernick would say "Redneck Niner don't know what my reads are".

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

It's like our coaching staff and QB don't know how to use more than one TE and potentially two WRs in the passing game...

Thirteen games in, and we've only thrown TDs to two players. That's a problem that goes deeper than the talent. Much deeper.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like our coaching staff and QB don't know how to use more than one TE and potentially two WRs in the passing game...

Thirteen games in, and we've only thrown TDs to two players. That's a problem that goes deeper than the talent. Much deeper.

I bet that changes before season's end now that Crabtree is back. I really don't recall anyone other than Crabtree or Davis catching more than a couple last year as well. Boldin and Davis are probably the first and second read on just about every passing play and I bet it never gets much past that.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I bet that changes before season's end now that Crabtree is back. I really don't recall anyone other than Crabtree or Davis catching more than a couple last year as well. Boldin and Davis are probably the first and second read on just about every passing play and I bet it never gets much past that.

Manningham, before he got hurt, and Walker

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Manningham, before he got hurt, and Walker

Walker was never a big part of the passing game. He had seven catches against Seattle the second time around, and four against the Jets, but the rest were all three receptions or fewer. Manningham was getting some looks, though that mostly came with Smith at QB.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I recall reading in 2011 that both Davis and Walker said it took them most of the year to grasp the system so it could be the same thing with Vance.

Also most of the time we see Vance is in the 2 TE, 2 RB, 1WR formations which isn't a formation very conducive to passing.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Walker was never a big part of the passing game. He had seven catches against Seattle the second time around, and four against the Jets, but the rest were all three receptions or fewer. Manningham was getting some looks, though that mostly came with Smith at QB.

Not including the 1st STL game which Alex Smith suffered the concussion, here are the# of catches for both Manningham and Walker...

Smith :
Manningham = 28 catches
Walker = 9 catches

Kaepernick:
Manningham = 13 catches
Walker = 14 catches

As you can see, Walkers numbers increased after the switch.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not including the 1st STL game which Alex Smith suffered the concussion, here are the# of catches for both Manningham and Walker...

Smith :
Manningham = 28 catches
Walker = 9 catches

Kaepernick:
Manningham = 13 catches
Walker = 14 catches

As you can see, Walkers numbers increased after the switch.

Sure, Walker was a bigger part of the passing game, but he wasn't a BIG part of the passing game. Though correction from earlier: I just realized I was looking at his targets, not receptions.