• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paging Silver...

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things, both officiating oriented...by oriented I mean that is the entire topic.

1st officiating accountability needs to be addressed. Officials should have records of missed calls and correct calls and blown calls. From there you could make reffing classes mandatory, address fines, relegation to lesser leagues, suspension or be altogether fired.

Personally my favorite is a relegation system where the worst refs go to the D league and the best refs come up. (I would also love to see the NBA and D league be relegation oriented but that is another topic.) I do think they make enough to fined but I am not sure how that helps them become better or rectify their mistakes.

Next is the running away from the play being called a technical. They can't yell at you, iirc they are not even supposed to talk to you, and now they are not allowed to leave the situation...seems awfully power hungry to me.

That being a T is stupid, I have no problem with them getting Ted up for talking to an official though.

Kyle Lowry Gets Called for Phantom Offensive Foul in Final Minute | Bleacher Report

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And change the 1 and done rule.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 things, both officiating oriented...by oriented I mean that is the entire topic.

1st officiating accountability needs to be addressed. Officials should have records of missed calls and correct calls and blown calls. From there you could make reffing classes mandatory, address fines, relegation to lesser leagues, suspension or be altogether fired.

Personally my favorite is a relegation system where the worst refs go to the D league and the best refs come up. (I would also love to see the NBA and D league be relegation oriented but that is another topic.) I do think they make enough to fined but I am not sure how that helps them become better or rectify their mistakes.

Next is the running away from the play being called a technical. They can't yell at you, iirc they are not even supposed to talk to you, and now they are not allowed to leave the situation...seems awfully power hungry to me.

That being a T is stupid, I have no problem with them getting Ted up for talking to an official though.

Kyle Lowry Gets Called for Phantom Offensive Foul in Final Minute | Bleacher Report

I agree on both points completely.

The NBA NEEDS transparency and accountability with their refs. It is the hardest game to officiate and burying the mistakes only feeds the conspiracy theorists.

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Their incompetence is one issue. The other for me is that they get butt hurt and vengeful when a player complains about a call. Some of the players are just kids. They are all getting paid for their performance. Why can't these assholes act like adults? There is a line, of course. When a player is disrupting the game action is needed. But these little girls seem to hold grudges for a long time. They are well paid to officiate the games. They need to be doing it in an adult and professional manner.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And change the 1 and done rule.

What's wrong with it? There's a big difference between high school ball and college ball. I always found it strange to see a bunch of 17 year olds playing in the NBA.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be so quick to harshly judge NBA referees. It is a very difficult game to officiate given the size and speed of the players and physicality of the game. Bad/missed calls are going to happen. It's been happening throughout the 30+ years I've been watching the NBA. It happens in every sport.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be so quick to harshly judge NBA referees. It is a very difficult game to officiate given the size and speed of the players and physicality of the game. Bad/missed calls are going to happen. It's been happening throughout the 30+ years I've been watching the NBA. It happens in every sport.

They would have to be graded on a curve...so really just don't be the worst.

I think we all agree they can do better to be more consistent, bad calls are going to happen, but get them right in the replay. Calls are reversed all the time, the only reason I can think of for the inconsistency is a truth nobody around here likes to admit and I will leave it at that.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their incompetence is one issue. The other for me is that they get butt hurt and vengeful when a player complains about a call. Some of the players are just kids. They are all getting paid for their performance. Why can't these assholes act like adults? There is a line, of course. When a player is disrupting the game action is needed. But these little girls seem to hold grudges for a long time. They are well paid to officiate the games. They need to be doing it in an adult and professional manner.

At the same time these kids are making a LOT of money so a higher level of maturity could be expected. That being said they should be able to run away from the ref and have rational conversations with the refs in between plays.

Just for the Heat's sake they should T up anybody who yells at the refs either in transition or rather than running in transition.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have to be graded on a curve...so really just don't be the worst.

I think we all agree they can do better to be more consistent, bad calls are going to happen, but get them right in the replay. Calls are reversed all the time, the only reason I can think of for the inconsistency is a truth nobody around here likes to admit and I will leave it at that.

The reason for the inconsistency is that it is a difficult game to officiate, not game-fixing as you want to believe. You really want them to go to the replay after every call?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason for the inconsistency is that it is a difficult game to officiate, not game-fixing as you want to believe. You really want them to go to the replay after every call?

In big moments or when they are under the hood anyways? Yes. They can stand there and discuss what they think they saw as often as they want, in that situation why not turn around and see the truth on the monitor.

I also agree that the more egregious calls are probably not game fixing just because fixing games is so much easier than that.

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe I have weighed in on this before, but when the announcer's can see something from a fixed position (confirmed by instant replay) why can't three officials who are constantly triangulating play see the same things? One would think they can pass some sort of vision test.

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can be trained to see discrete movements at high speed over time. However, some folks never get that. I remember an AAU game when one of our kids got a forearm in the face taking the ball down the court. I asked the ref why he didn't call it. He told me it did not happen. Then I asked him why the kid had a red mark on his face and was rubbing it. No response.