• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Packers, WTH?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why isn’t this being discussed? The way the nfl works, there’s a possibility he’ll have the number 1 defense, but I’d not count on it being any higher than 25.

Packers hired Joe Barry as defensive coordinator.
University of Wisconsin DC Jim Leonhard was reportedly offered the job first but turned it down. Barry, 50, was the team's next choice, previously working with coach Matt LaFleur in Los Angeles in 2017 as the assistant linebackers coach to the latter's tenure as QBs coach. This will be Barry's third turn as a defensive coordinator in the league, having held that job previously with the Lions (2007-08) and Washington (2015-16). Barry has never engineered a unit better than 28th in total defense in four seasons as an NFL coordinator.
SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter
Feb 6, 2021, 6:48 PM ET

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst position on the Rams for years now, is the linebacker position.

We have like 3 coaches left.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst position on the Rams for years now, is the linebacker position.

We have like 3 coaches left.
He was the d coach of the 0-16 lions, and the d coach of the worst 3rd down defense in history with the redskins

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the d coach of the 0-16 lions, and the d coach of the worst 3rd down defense in history with the redskins

There is always guys like that, that stick around even though they aren't great. One of those dynamic personalities you want to have a beer with. If I could I would drove him to the airport to make sure he left.

He is a defensive coordinator now, how?

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Barry appears to be a good example of the NFL’s nepotism problem (msn.com)

I started this by saying I don’t know much about Ejiro Evero. That’s still true, but sometimes what you don’t know about someone speaks louder than what you do know. From what I do know about Joe Barry, he seemingly did not come by his big breaks through merit and, when he got them, he failed to capitalize. Wade Phillips also benefited from his family connections, but at least has a long track record of success. If the Packers decided to hire Phillips, they could have certainly justified it. How do you justify elevating a linebackers coach who keeps landing positions he doesn’t deserve and failing in them?

Ejiro Evero has garnered a reputation as a respected coach who is apparently qualified to be a defensive coordinator — given his status as a finalist for the Packers’ job — with none of the nepotistic nonsense or baggage that Barry brings to the table. Matt LaFleur was offensive coordinator for the Rams in 2017 when both Joe Barry and Ejiro Evero were on staff, and probably has more insight into each than I do, but I’d love to know what exactly made LaFleur prefer Barry.