• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thursday Night Football: PACKERS/BEARS

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its pro

pro >>> college
Better football players, but not nearly as exciting, especially if you have a personal attachment to the school.
As sportswriter , Bernie Lincicome, once said, "cheering for a pro team is basically cheering for laundry."
Unless you are somehow personally connected to pro team it is waste of time to worry about their success.
I could care less how a teams spends its money on players, it is their money.
But I do believe that the anti trust law exceptions that allow professional teams to hold drafts are just wrong. No other enterprise is allowed to tell people for whom they can work otherwise they cannot work in the highest level of their chosen profession.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better football players, but not nearly as exciting, especially if you have a personal attachment to the school.
As sportswriter , Bernie Lincicome, once said, "cheering for a pro team is basically cheering for laundry."
Unless you are somehow personally connected to pro team it is waste of time to worry about their success.
But I do believe that the anti trust law exceptions that allow professional teams to hold drafts are just wrong. No other enterprise is allowed to tell people for whom they can work otherwise they cannot work in the highest level of their chosen profession.
oh, i get it. its why college football in the south is bigger than the nfl in a lot pf places. Alabama football has a bigger following than the saints or falcons. and you have that attachment (either you went there or live near it). i always say i cheer for a shirt. baseball, football, what have you. the people come and go.
but i prefer a more refined game. at least the CFL is a step above college, talent pool wise.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, i get it. its why college football in the south is bigger than the nfl in a lot pf places. Alabama football has a bigger following than the saints or falcons. and you have that attachment (either you went there or live near it). i always say i cheer for a shirt. baseball, football, what have you. the people come and go.
but i prefer a more refined game. at least the CFL is a step above college, talent pool wise.
What you say is true, I just don't believe in cheering for a shirt. It implies loyalty to the shirt. But I wonder how many Bostonians cheer for the Braves, Philadelphians for the Athletics, New Yorkers for the Giants and Dodgers, Chicagoans for the Cardinals, Cleavelandites for the Rams, people in Montreal for the Nationals (Expos), anyway you get my drift. At least schools (for the most part) stay in one place and generally there is minimal movement of players.
In the pros you have the ''that guy is bum, a dirty player and we hate him (Rodman with the Pistons) but I sure hope our shirt can sign him (Chicago)" mentality. And when a star leaves in free agency, the fans hate him for not having the same loyalty to the "shirt" that they do. But is ok for a player coming in to be disloyal to the "shirt" he is leaving.
And of course there is the concept of trades and the loyalty a team believes they are owed but do not show themselves.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose great defense is boring to some folks.

you're right. this is the most exciting play in football. people want more of it.

giphy.gif

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green Bay defense looks vastly improved. Several long passes were no good because the Bear receivers were pushed out of bounds at the last second. Also, their receivers dropped passes. This made Trubs look worse than he really played.

Rodgers smiling after game interview: “we got a Defense.” Yep, sure looks like it.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am on pace to go undefeated in the pick em leagues! :thumb:

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best news of all is my P and G stocks have massive gains today from the record sales volume of Vagasil in the Chicago area.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a boring game last night.... Both defenses were great but man the offenses sucked balls! Mitch looked lost out there and Rodgers got lucky with that TD pass to Graham.

It was very clear that not playing much at all during the pre season hurt both teams offensively

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see the difference between rooting for a college team where the players turn over to some extent every year and a pro team where the players turn over to some extent every year. I get it if you attended a certain school there's a natural interest in and allegiance to that school, but otherwise no.

As an NFL fan, as a spectator experience there's no comparison, imo, and it's not simply because NFL players are better. It's that the talent discrepancy in CFB between the best and the worst players on the field in any given game that makes it a spectacle I'm not interested in... or at least much less so than an NFL game.

There's a wider talent discrepancy between the best & worst player on the field in any CFB game than there is between the best & worst player in the entire NFL. A lot of the "exciting play" in CFB is just a result of future NFL players dominating guys who'll be selling cars (or whatever) in a couple of years.

Last edited:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a boring game last night.... Both defenses were great but man the offenses sucked balls! Mitch looked lost out there and Rodgers got lucky with that TD pass to Graham.

It was very clear that not playing much at all during the pre season hurt both teams offensively
Preseason games are important for QB's and Rodgers didn't play in any.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year it's the future SB (Chi) winner instead of last years stale and fading defending Champs of years gone by.

Also 27-10 DaBears. 4 GB turnovers.
How stupid to you feel right now?