• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early for statements like this until the first CFP rankings.
How exactly. The first rankings come out before what my statement. A 12-1 Pac 12 team would get into the playoffs, even Oregon.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How exactly. The first rankings come out before what my statement. A 12-1 Pac 12 team would get into the playoffs, even Oregon.

Until you know how the committee views the relative conference strength, putting out definitive statements like "12-1 team from Conference X would definitely get in over 12-1 team from Conference Y" is pure folly.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until you know how the committee views the relative conference strength, putting out definitive statements like "12-1 team from Conference X would definitely get in over 12-1 team from Conference Y" is pure folly.
That is fair, but you have Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama (sorry Michigan) unless all three of them have 1 loss there isn’t a Pac 12 (unless it is is) 1 loss team wouldn’t get the 4th spot. The Pac 12 >the Big 12 and the B1G outside of Ohio State and Michigan.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is fair, but you have Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama (sorry Michigan) unless all three of them have 1 loss there isn’t a Pac 12 (unless it is is) 1 loss team wouldn’t get the 4th spot. The Pac 12 >the Big 12 and the B1G outside of Ohio State and Michigan.
That's your opinion. We don't know the committee's opinion.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to intrude into your PAC Pity Party but.....
UCLA has no one to blame but themselves. They started the season with their NON-Conference slate of Bowling Green (G5), Alabama State (FCS), and South Alabama (G5). Then started their conf schedule with Colorado (0-5). They did beat Washington (4-1). Why would anyone rank a team that only played that slate? The question isn't why is UCLA not rated but why IS USC rated? USC has played Rice (3-2), Stanford (1-3), Fresno State (1-3), Oregon State (3-2), and Arizona State (1-4). Neither of the undefeated PAC teams (USC nor UCLA) has played a P5 OOC team.

Your conference isn't helping you out either. So far the PAC has played 9 OOC P5 teams and are 2-7. The two wins are against teams that are currently 2-3. The 7 losses are against P5 teams that have winning records (or in the case of ND 0.500). There are two OOC P5 opponents left: Stanford vs ND and USC vs ND.

In the SEC (the conferences that you are slighting) all of the undefeated teams (Bama, UGa, Ole Miss, and Tenn) have played and beaten OOC P5 teams already. In fact 11 teams in the SEC have each played an OOC P5 team (9 of the 11 OOC teams have winning records). The SEC record vs the OOC teams is 7-4. Kentucky (12th SEC team) still has Louisville to play and South Carolina (13th SEC team) still has Clemson to play. The 14th SEC is Arkansas which has played and beaten #24 AP G5 team Cincinnati still has #16 G5 team BYU to play. Florida nad Georgia still have a 2nd P5 OOC opponent left (UF vs FSU and UGa vs GT). In fact every team (except Tennessee) in the SEC has played at least one opponent currently ranked in the AP top 25. In the PAC four teams haven't played an opponent currently ranked in the Top25 (California, USC, UCLA and Utah).
For one not to intrude, you sure had a lot to say... :dhd:

As I stated, if the Bruins take care of their business, the rankings will work out.

I do think Jim made a fair point though, if the 5-0 Bruins & the 5-0 Huskies were in either the SEC or B1G, regardless of the OOC's, the Dubbs would have been ranked higher than No. 18 and UCLA would have at least been ranked.

You don't agree, it's okay, you can have a different opinion than ours Gator, without calling out ours as a pity party don't cha think?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had UCLA ranked since the preseason in my one-man poll. It's one of the few ranking systems that didn't have Oklahoma or Miami in the preseason rankings.
DTR is like a 6th year starter so UCLA should be given national love. They can’t half sell out the Rose Bowl but they are still good.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DTR is like a 6th year starter so UCLA should be given national love. They can’t half sell out the Rose Bowl but they are still good.

If they win @ Autzen ending Oregon's home win streak they'll be a top 10 team. They control their own destiny as far as the CFP.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DTR has been there forever it seems. He's finally figured it out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they win @ Autzen ending Oregon's home win streak they'll be a top 10 team. They control their own destiny as far as the CFP.
If they win at Autzen they should be ranked 2nd behind Alabama. Georgia has the Oregon win but has looked average since. What other top 5 team has the resume that UCLA has without looking like trash with the resume?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they win at Autzen they should be ranked 2nd behind Alabama. Georgia has the Oregon win but has looked average since. What other top 5 team has the resume that UCLA has without looking like trash with the resume?

Georgia didn't escape South Alabama.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one not to intrude, you sure had a lot to say... :dhd:
I'm OK with this.

I do think Jim made a fair point though, if the 5-0 Bruins & the 5-0 Huskies were in either the SEC or B1G, regardless of the OOC's, the Dubbs would have been ranked higher than No. 18 and UCLA would have at least been ranked.

You don't agree, it's okay, you can have a different opinion than ours Gator, without calling out ours as a pity party don't cha think?
So is it a "point" or an "opinion"? You and (he) state it like it is a "fact". Facts have evidence to support them. Where is the evidence that SEC teams get "ranked" when playing lousy schedules (I'm not defending the B1G)! and PAC teams don't? The 4 ranked Undefeated SEC teams ALL have played tougher schedules than BOTH USC and UCLA.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a game. Congrats.

Whittingham had balls of steel going for 2.
Roughing calls kept them in the game. Should have been 21-0 in first quarter

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roughing calls kept them in the game. Should have been 21-0 in first quarter

Yeah, and on Utah's last drive, they were stopped on 4th down and were saved by a roughing the passer penalty that caused Brock Huard to criticize the refs worse than any announcer I've ever heard. It was almost uncomfortable. lol

Even Dean Blandino said it wasn't roughing.

But PAC refs gonna PAC ref, they know that and needed to overcome it.

Also, USC had a couple of chances to essentially put the game away before halftime but ended up having to punt.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is it a "point" or an "opinion"?
Come on Gator, what do you mean 'or'? A good point is a fair or interesting argument.
You and (he) state it like it is a "fact". Facts have evidence to support them. Where is the evidence that SEC teams get "ranked" when playing lousy schedules

Let me see...
  • No. 1 Georgia, 7-0. No arguments here, but note the Bulldogs have only beat one ranked team, No. 10 Oregon, 5-1 (Who you might suggest is overrated. (IDK, but they rolled the Ducks in Sanford) The Bulldogs really don't play anyone on the road this year until their 10th game this year at Scott Field vs No. 24 Mississippi St, 5-2. By that time, Mississippi St. will either be unranked, or both the 2 loss Tide and & Mississippi St Dogs will be Top 10ish....
  • No. 6 Alabama, 6-1. The Tide has only beat 1 ranked team this year, No. 20 Texas 5-2. The Tide escaped at Texas to win by 1, and struggled against UR Texas Tech, 3-3 at Tuscaloosa. Outside of No. 20 Texas, Alabama's OOC is nothing to be proud of.
  • No. 3 Tennessee, 6-0 The Vols have only beat 1 ranked team this year. Yep, that's No. 6 Alabama, 6-1 just listed. The Vols struggled at Pitt, (3-2) but sit at No. 3 because they beat the highly ranked Tide team that some suggest could easily be 5-2, or even 4-3 if not for a few things going their way.
  • No. 7 Ole Miss, 7-0 No big arguments here either, but note the Rebels have only beat one ranked team, No 19 Kentucky, 5-2. The Rebels forced two TO's against UK at home in the 4th to escape the loss.
  • No. 9 UCLA, 6-0 Again no big arguments here, but the Bruins have only beat 1 ranked team, No. 14 Utah, 5-2. While the Bruins have put up 40 points plus in every game save 1, that one game they escaped beating UR South Alabama State, 5-1 in the Rose Bowl with a walk off field goal.
  • No. 10 Oregon, 5-1 Some can argue this is a little high or even a little low, the Ducks have not beat a ranked team, and they got their asses handed to them on a platter in the opener at Sanford as previously mentioned.
  • No. 12 USC, 6-1 No big arguments here, but some can argue this is a little low, however the Trojans too have not beat a ranked team. They lost to No. 14 Utah, 5-2 in Salt Lake City by a single point when the Utes scored a near game ending 2 pt. conversion to go up by 1 pt. with under a minute to play.
  • No. 15 Utah, 5-2 Some can argue this is a little high, since they are the highest ranked 2 loss team, and they lost to UR Florida, 4-3 in the Swamp. The Utes however played at the Rose Bowl and lost to No. 9 UCLA 6-0 and beat No. 12 USC in Salt Lake City in a close affair.
So Gator, there's some facts, some conjecture, and some opinions all there in the mix to mull over, I'll leave you with this last fact though...

You and (he) state it like it is a "fact".
I think it's just the way you read it. I do think the SEC and PAC teams stories are similar, but since the SEC teams were ranked higher, they get a better bump for beating higher ranked teams when they play each other.

We will find out a lot more with most of these teams in the next few weeks as they will be playing one another in conference and the chips will fall where they may.

This is why the Selection Commitee waits to rank teams until the second half of the season.

Last edited: