• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we know Colorado is heading out the door, the Pac-9 footprint keeps shrinking, with no tv deal in site. Not much to choose from, as far as expansion goes.

The current US News & World Report National University ratings for Pac schools ranges from #3 (Stanford) to #212 (Washington St.). Departing schools UCLA, USC & Colorado stand at #20, #25 & #97, respectively. I'm thinking the league will want to add academic institutions that rank above WSU, so the potential candidates are:

#151 San Diego St. (good football & basketball)
#151 Colorado St. (decent replacement for Colorado)
#166 Hawaii (this could be a fun addition)
#72 SMU (Dallas area, pretty good sports)
#15 Rice (Houston area, good baseball)
#137 Tulsa (to go along with possible Texas additions)
#44 Tulane (improving team, New Orleans area)
#83 Gonzaga (non-FB school with great basketball)
#97 U. of San Diego (non-FB, but good basketball)
Air Force Academy (#18 National Liberal Arts College rating)

That's pretty much it. The league likely lost its chance at adding San Diego St. or any other MWC team by not inviting them before that conference upped its exit fees to $34 million. So, that leaves the teams from east Texas, Louisiana & Oklahoma, along with the west coast basketball schools.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know you're in trouble when the networks being speculated for your TV deal are ION and the CW

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know you're in trouble when the networks being speculated for your TV deal are ION and the CW

To be fair, I can remember when FOX first said they were looking at getting into sports there was a lot of skepticism.

Look at them now. Maybe the CW can be similar.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading conflicting reports about whether or not Washington & Oregon have actually gotten approval to join the Big 10, and whether or not the AZ Board of Regents has approved Arizona's request to go to the Big 12 (and whether ASU & Utah might follow). It would make sense for the Huskies & Ducks to be added, so as to take some of the cross-country travel pressures off of USC & UCLA; but the rest of the Big Whatever might object to having to make multiple trips West each year.

And, if the two big northwest schools do make the jump & Arizona gets the green light to join the Big 12, it is only natural that Arizona State & Utah would follow suit, rather than staying with a sinking ship.

If all the above takes place, the smartest thing to do for the remaining 4 teams would be to execute a merger with the Mountain West, but to keep the Pac-12 as the operating name since that would assure more accumulated NCAA basketball tourney participation rights going to the conference. I don't know if baseball & softball participation fees operate the same way, but if so, there are far more of those owed to the Pac than to the MWC.

The Pac-whatever would live on, but at a much reduced iteration of its old self.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading conflicting reports about whether or not Washington & Oregon have actually gotten approval to join the Big 10, and whether or not the AZ Board of Regents has approved Arizona's request to go to the Big 12 (and whether ASU & Utah might follow). It would make sense for the Huskies & Ducks to be added, so as to take some of the cross-country travel pressures off of USC & UCLA; but the rest of the Big Whatever might object to having to make multiple trips West each year.

And, if the two big northwest schools do make the jump & Arizona gets the green light to join the Big 12, it is only natural that Arizona State & Utah would follow suit, rather than staying with a sinking ship.

If all the above takes place, the smartest thing to do for the remaining 4 teams would be to execute a merger with the Mountain West, but to keep the Pac-12 as the operating name since that would assure more accumulated NCAA basketball tourney participation rights going to the conference. I don't know if baseball & softball participation fees operate the same way, but if so, there are far more of those owed to the Pac than to the MWC.

The Pac-whatever would live on, but at a much reduced iteration of its old self.
I'm still trying to process this all. Can't believe how this all went down. Just feel shell-shocked.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to process this all. Can't believe how this all went down. Just feel shell-shocked.
It took 2 guys to sink Pac. Sucks for the 4 remaining pac schools but glad Washington is off that sinking ship.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2? This is all on Larry Scott.
Most of it is on Larry Scott but George Kliavkoff didn't react quick enough to get a TV deal until it was too late. Yes Larry Scott is a POS that mostly sunk the Pac but George sent it to its death bed with his slow reaction to getting a media deal done.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of it is on Larry Scott but George Kliavkoff didn't react quick enough to get a TV deal until it was too late. Yes Larry Scott is a POS that mostly sunk the Pac but George sent it to its death bed with his slow reaction to getting a media deal done.

Maybe. But once USC and UCLA announced they were leaving, the PAC wasn't going to get a good tv deal...even if Oregon and Washington stayed, They were struggling to get a decent tv deal with USC and UCLA. You can't lose a market the size of LA and expect a good deal.

The conference lost its only football blue blood, it's only basketball blue blood and the 2nd largest media market in the country. That's impossible to overcome.

And that was 100% on Larry Scott.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. But once USC and UCLA announced they were leaving, the PAC wasn't going to get a good tv deal...even if Oregon and Washington stayed, They were struggling to get a decent tv deal with USC and UCLA. You can't lose a market the size of LA and expect a good deal.

The conference lost its only football blue blood, it's only basketball blue blood and the 2nd largest media market in the country. That's impossible to overcome.

And that was 100% on Larry Scott.
Can't argue with what you say. Good points

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is still around on this webpage? Everybody jump ship or something?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2? This is all on Larry Scott.
Larry Scott’ bosses allowed Cal to kill expansion, allowed Stanford to kill expansion. Scott’ bosses allowed him to keep a job after the Pac 12 network embarrassment then the ESPN embarrassment. Larry Scott was a terrible commissioner but dude was allowed to kill the conference because most of the original presidents or chancellors cared more about equality of women’s and Olympic sports and being above those rednecks from the SEC than continuing to be a legit power 5 conference. Once the newer presidents got in the conference was a coffin in roller skates.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is still around on this webpage? Everybody jump ship or something?
hi-hello.gif

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of sad this is the last kickoff week of the PAC12. Just gives me such a weird feeling.

Loving what I'm seeing from the Huskies today. Slow start in the 1st Q which seemed mostly like rust and nerves, but once they flip the switch, it was like exactly where they were late last year. Impressive performance the offense. Penix throwing dimes all over the place.