• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on SMU?

I know you only asked about SMU but let me start by saying SDSU makes a lot of sense. Geographic fit/need, brand new stadium, solid academics. That felt like a no brainer.

SMU is a lot more questionable. SMU is a small private school that doesn't have a huge fanbase and doesn't have a long history of success outside of a short period of time 40 years ago when they were cheating. However, they have great academics, expand the PAC footprint into Texas/Central time zone and have serious financial backing behind them. This will help SMU in the time of NIL and help them keep up with the facility arms race.

Honestly, I hope the PAC 12 survives this. I have nothing against SMU and SDSU joining the PAC but the $$$ needs to be close to the Big 12. If they can't get 30M a year, I think some PAC schools will look elsewhere.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also a report out there that SMU could be extended a PAC 12 invite very soon. That likely means they are starting to finalize everything when it comes to the media contract IMO

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also a report out there that SMU could be extended a PAC 12 invite very soon. That likely means they are starting to finalize everything when it comes to the media contract IMO
This is what I meant by SMU. Pretty sure San Diego State had the same invite that Colorado had last time they expanded. I know they need to get to the Big 12 number but I hope the schools don’t think small with the number they get. The conference needs to scrap talking to ESPN. Negotiate with Fox and then go with AppleTv or Amazon prime. Thinking small last tv contract is what put the conference in the position it is right now.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I meant by SMU. Pretty sure San Diego State had the same invite that Colorado had last time they expanded. I know they need to get to the Big 12 number but I hope the schools don’t think small with the number they get. The conference needs to scrap talking to ESPN. Negotiate with Fox and then go with AppleTv or Amazon prime. Thinking small last tv contract is what put the conference in the position it is right now.

FOX already has the Big Ten and Big 12. I'm not sure FOX really needs the PAC 12. It's probably going to be a combination of ESPN and Amazon. What would be your plan for the next TV contract? I'm not sure what you mean when you say "think small".

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOX already has the Big Ten and Big 12. I'm not sure FOX really needs the PAC 12. It's probably going to be a combination of ESPN and Amazon. What would be your plan for the next TV contract? I'm not sure what you mean when you say "think small".
And the B1G has ESPN as well. Stay miles away from ESPN. Unless there is something new on the front of ESPN finding a buyer it isn’t a good fit

What the conference should do is negotiate fully with Amazon or Apple for exclusive coverage. Then on that same note, do some type of reality show or just figure out shows to make them famous to compete with the NIL.

A whole bunch the conference can do to offset the advantages the B1G has on the PAC. I just think it is folly to make your primary source of income from terrestrial cable which most likely will be bankrupt soon. The bankruptcy issue is a big one and which is why the NFL signed an 11 year deal so they will be first in line to receive at least some money in court.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the B1G has ESPN as well. Stay miles away from ESPN. Unless there is something new on the front of ESPN finding a buyer it isn’t a good fit

What the conference should do is negotiate fully with Amazon or Apple for exclusive coverage. Then on that same note, do some type of reality show or just figure out shows to make them famous to compete with the NIL.

A whole bunch the conference can do to offset the advantages the B1G has on the PAC. I just think it is folly to make your primary source of income from terrestrial cable which most likely will be bankrupt soon. The bankruptcy issue is a big one and which is why the NFL signed an 11 year deal so they will be first in line to receive at least some money in court.

I would be a little surprised if one of the major networks didn't get any package from the PAC. But I'm not against making a deal with Amazon, especially if the price is right.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be a little surprised if one of the major networks didn't get any package from the PAC. But I'm not against making a deal with Amazon, especially if the price is right.
Fox is the only one IMO. To me, truthfully it doesn’t matter with Amazon if they get paid Big 12 money or not. If on Amazon they can supplement money to the athletes in terms of shows like say reality tv or some shit, it offsets the NIL issues. The conference as a whole has done a terrible job at focusing on the star men’s football and men’s basketball players.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With this and the visit to SMU, it looks like a media deal is coming soon. Wilner reporting it's ESPN, Amazon and at least one more partner (my guess is CBS/Paramount)

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this and the visit to SMU, it looks like a media deal is coming soon. Wilner reporting it's ESPN, Amazon and at least one more partner (my guess is CBS/Paramount)
PAC is at least trying to keep it going and that's great to hear. I want this conference to survive and thrive. The addition of SDSU gets us in the SoCal market which is needed and SMU opens up a lot of opportunities in one of the biggest football and recruit heavy states in the nation.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAC is at least trying to keep it going and that's great to hear. I want this conference to survive and thrive. The addition of SDSU gets us in the SoCal market which is needed and SMU opens up a lot of opportunities in one of the biggest football and recruit heavy states in the nation.

I'm still skeptical the PAC survives (at least with it's current members) past this media cycle. However, it could be a fun league league for the next couple of years.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that gives us 3 QBs for the roster this fall, and he will most likely be ready to take over next year if he wins the job.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St pussed out......pretty lame

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 is in serious trouble with NBC, FOX and CBS all out ESPN only offering a small deal for night games and Amazon only wanting 1 top game per week

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wimp move. Ohio St. Has decided to cancel the home and away series with Washington for 2024/25 and pay us a 500k fee.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 is in serious trouble with NBC, FOX and CBS all out ESPN only offering a small deal for night games and Amazon only wanting 1 top game per week
Fox isn’t out. CBS and NBC are out for different reasons, NBC at the moment is the only one of the major companies that are in the middle of trying to purchase WWE so they don’t have a shit load of money laying around. If the Pac can just hold together and take less money but go only with an Amazon, YouTube tv or Apple then in the long run we will be fine. ESPN is going to go bankrupt and will be sold off to an Amazon or Apple. Short term loss but long term gain, but we also had that chance in 2010 to do something creative that we would’ve been the dominant conference but instead took the money then the conference as a whole bombed.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox isn’t out. CBS and NBC are out for different reasons, NBC at the moment is the only one of the major companies that are in the middle of trying to purchase WWE so they don’t have a shit load of money laying around. If the Pac can just hold together and take less money but go only with an Amazon, YouTube tv or Apple then in the long run we will be fine. ESPN is going to go bankrupt and will be sold off to an Amazon or Apple. Short term loss but long term gain, but we also had that chance in 2010 to do something creative that we would’ve been the dominant conference but instead took the money then the conference as a whole bombed.
Are you in denial