• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State needs to keep up with Ohio State in the facility wars. That’s far more important than getting a new coach IMO if they want to be on the same level as Ohio State
That's true, but winning big games also helps.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way, the "right coach" or even just a good coach is WAY more important than facilities. That can be verified with probably hundreds of examples. Granted, facilities are ONE of the things recruits consider, and if everything else was equal, could be the deciding factor, but Id almost bet that facilities have NEVER ranked as a single recruits #1 priority, whereas the coach or coaching staff is probably the#1 factor more than any other.

Yeah that’s why Ohio State saw such a big drop off after Urban Meyer

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but you won’t consistently beat Ohio State until you can get the same level talent that they do
You're right. With franklin this is possibly the best they can get. Maybe with a new coach and different approach/scheme plus a few breaks could get the program trending towards OSU's program. It could also go terribly south.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but you won’t consistently beat Ohio State until you can get the same level talent that they do
And it's the right coach that will do that, not facilities. They help, sure, but they are definitely not the top factor. Coaching is.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's the right coach that will do that, not facilities. They help, sure, but they are definitely not the top factor. Coaching is.

Kansas can have the best coach in the world, they won’t get better players than Ohio State. That’s just how it works. If Penn State really wants to challenge Ohio State, they have to offer everything to recruits that Ohio State does

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that’s why Ohio State saw such a big drop off after Urban Meyer
His replacement had the shelves stocked full and overflowing with talent plus they had the reputation and it takes time for people to figure out/recruits to figure out, that a coach isn't as good as their predecessor. A decent coach could coast on what Meyer left him for several years. But in times cracks will show and games will be lost, possibly an example being the Oregon game? So the jury is still out on Meyers replacement, imho.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true, imho. PSU, with the right Coach, could surpass tOSU, if tOSU didn't have the right Coach. So could Michigan and MSU, maybe even Maryland, with the right coach. Iowa, UMn, NW and Wisconsin in the West could as well. Nebraska? Not sure? Most thought Frost was the "right coach", so either Frost is a bust, or Nebraska no longer has the mojo required to rise that high?

Granted, if tOSU has the right coach, and I'm not convinced they have that, then only Michigan or PSU, with the right coach, could match them, but neither could surpass them, I don't think. Michigan, PSU and tOSU are the only 3 in the B1G, who with just the right coach, could rise to the level of competing and occasionally beating the Bamas, when led by the right coach, of the world.

Wisconsin was apparently missing at least one key element as both Alvarez and Bielema seemed to be the "right coach", winning them 2.5 and 3.5 conf titles, but no Top 4 poll rankings prior to the bowls. Same with Iowa and NW. UMn has yet to have the right coach to prove either way. Not since Warmath.
So Penn State should able to overtake Ohio State on what basis, the 80’s? This isn’t a knock on Penn State but they are only getting brought up because their coach might leave for a more prestigious job.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas can have the best coach in the world, they won’t get better players than Ohio State. That’s just how it works. If Penn State really wants to challenge Ohio State, they have to offer everything to recruits that Ohio State does
Kansas doesn't have the recruiting base PSU has access to. Kansas doesn't have the reputation PSU has. Kansas doesn't have the huge stadium PSU does. Kansas doesn't have the fanbase PSU has. Kansas doesn't have the money PSU has.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas doesn't have the recruiting base PSU has access to. Kansas doesn't have the reputation PSU has. Kansas doesn't have the huge stadium PSU does. Kansas doesn't have the fanbase PSU has. Kansas doesn't have the money PSU has.
Kansas has a much better basketball fan base so doesn’t that mean Kansas=Penn State?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So facilities and institutional support matters more than a coach. Thanks for proving my point

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona State has officially self-destructed. I just want someone to have a plan going forward. I think the AD goes down with most of the coaching staff.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona State has officially self-destructed. I just want someone to have a plan going forward. I think the AD goes down with most of the coaching staff.
Too be fair, we were due. Washington State hadn’t won in Tempe since I was a wee lad.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way, the "right coach" or even just a good coach is WAY more important than facilities.

While the right coach is very important, so are facilities. In fact, facilities (or the willingness to significantly upgrade them) are big in getting the right coach. Coaches know that facilities are often the difference between landing that 4 or 5 star recruit and having to settle for their 2nd or 3rd choice. And that is the difference between being Penn St. and being tOSU.

USC didn't spend (and continues to spend) big money upgrading their facilities and the Coliseum because they suddenly decided it was time for a spending spree. They did it because they started losing recruits to Oregon and facilities were often given as the reason.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the right coach is very important, so are facilities. In fact, facilities (or the willingness to significantly upgrade them) are big in getting the right coach. Coaches know that facilities are often the difference between landing that 4 or 5 star recruit and having to settle for their 2nd or 3rd choice. And that is the difference between being Penn St. and being tOSU.

USC didn't spend (and continues to spend) big money upgrading their facilities and the Coliseum because they suddenly decided it was time for a spending spree. They did it because they started losing recruits to Oregon and facilities were often given as the reason.
So snagging Chip Kelly had nothing to do with Oregon's improved recruiting rankings?

I mean, I'm not saying facilities aren't important, UMn hasn't spent loads on a new stadium followed by new facilities just because, either. But great facilities without the right coach leads to shit like Michigan is going through right now, lol.