• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Stanford was supposed to be the smart school?
I get their argument and it truly is a valid argument....except every student athlete already gets preferential treatment over any other student. I just don’t get it, I could see a school who hates sports like Cal doing it but Stanford disappoints me. Of course it is about money to make for the athletic department and the school. But something that hasn’t been talked on is all of the student athletes on scholarship to play football and aren’t playing football shouldn’t they be forced to pay their own way then? How is having staff get furloughed for not playing football and students losing their scholarship for not playing football the same thing?

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get their argument and it truly is a valid argument....except every student athlete already gets preferential treatment over any other student. I just don’t get it, I could see a school who hates sports like Cal doing it but Stanford disappoints me. Of course it is about money to make for the athletic department and the school. But something that hasn’t been talked on is all of the student athletes on scholarship to play football and aren’t playing football shouldn’t they be forced to pay their own way then? How is having staff get furloughed for not playing football and students losing their scholarship for not playing football the same thing?
It's largely about the amateurism concerns, the attempts at player unionization and collective bargaining, which would ultimately lead to player compensation and the risk of college athletics tax exempt status. The tax exemption is what is really being protected- And they're not wrong to be concerned. It's the beating heart of college sports as we know it. It's been under attack multiple times by politicians in the past, and more chinks in the armor would make it very vulnerable.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss these updates by AG

Attachments

• 37F30215-9280-4181-AED5-799E9014D15D.jpeg
    37F30215-9280-4181-AED5-799E9014D15D.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 10

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's largely about the amateurism concerns, the attempts at player unionization and collective bargaining, which would ultimately lead to player compensation and the risk of college athletics tax exempt status. The tax exemption is what is really being protected- And they're not wrong to be concerned. It's the beating heart of college sports as we know it. It's been under attack multiple times by politicians in the past, and more chinks in the armor would make it very vulnerable.
I totally get that argument and if the argument they made (in that article) was about not wanting them to unionize then ok. But at least the way I read it is they don’t want athletes getting preferential treatment. Every athlete gets preferential treatment over students in a sport that gives scholarships. Most of the football and basketball players at Stanford wouldn’t be admitted to the school if they weren’t also good at football and basketball that argument just falls on deaf ears for me. Not wanting them to unionize is a great reason not to play and an argument as a fan I would much rather the season get cancelled because of unionization rather than any Covid related thing.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sure we find out but any guesses on if the conference decides to go ahead without the party poopers, do they still get a cut on the tv contract money?

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado/Boulder has past a law, no students can assemble with over 22 people. If they pass it. No practice for at least 2 weeks.

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every Power Five conference is planning to play football in the fall of 2020.

Pac-12 presidents voted Thursday to start the 2020 season on the first weekend of November. The decision comes two days before the SEC season is set to begin and exactly a month before the delayed 2020 Big Ten season is slated to start.

Each of the conference’s teams will reportedly play seven games and the conference title game would be December 18. The decision would allow the Pac-12 to be considered as part of the College Football Playoff selection process. A Pac-12 team hasn’t made the playoff since Washington lost to Alabama in the Peach Bowl at the end of the 2016 season.

Like the Big Ten, the Pac-12 will also have every team in the conference play on conference championship weekend. The second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth-place teams will play the corresponding teams in the opposite division.

The Pac-12 made its decision to push the 2020 fall sports season to the spring of 2021 on Aug 11, just hours after the Big Ten made the same decision. But the ability to obtain a deal with a company for daily rapid COVID-19 testing made it possible that the Pac-12 could play in the fall.

So did the ability of all of the teams in the conference to be able to meet and practice. Teams in California and Oregon had long been governed by state and local restrictions that limited large gatherings. But the governors of both states said earlier in the month that they wouldn’t stand in the way of the start of a football season.

The Pac-12’s decision to postpone football in August wasn’t met with as much scrutiny as the Big Ten’s. That was likely because the Pac-12 released a medical document helping explain their decision-making process and also because the conference wasn’t being pushed to play football right away by President Donald Trump.

The conference did, however, reportedly make its decision to postpone partially on the basis of flawed COVID-19 data.

The decision to play in November helps Colorado, which has now been barred from practicing until Oct. 8. The city of Boulder has implemented strict social distancing rules and gathering limits for the next two weeks as coronavirus cases have spiked among Colorado students.

With the Pac-12 now playing football, the only two FBS conferences that aren’t playing at the moment are the Mountain West and the Mid-American Conference. Those two conferences could still change their minds in the coming days and play in the fall.