• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not likely.
Imo, if anything, paying players could widen the talent gap.
It is, not sure why people think payments would even up the playing field, it won't. Be like baseball, few schools will have the war chest that bluebloods have. Players can get a set amount but that's not stopping their Uncle from getting more during the recruitment tours before committing to the highest bidder.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is, not sure why people think payments would even up the playing field, it won't. Be like baseball, few schools will have the war chest that bluebloods have. Players can get a set amount but that's not stopping their Uncle from getting more during the recruitment tours before committing to the highest bidder.

Exactly. Whether the money comes out of athletic budgets or some additional fund that's created...the schools that have more money now, will still have more money under that proposal.

USC will always have more money than UCLA, Texas will always have more money than Texas Tech, etc.

A kid being able to get paid X amount of money to go to UCLA or Texas Tech isn't likely to be swayed because he can get paid at UCLA or Texas Tech...especially when he can get the same amount of money from USC or Texas.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Whether the money comes out of athletic budgets or some additional fund that's created...the schools that have more money now, will still have more money under that proposal.

USC will always have more money than UCLA, Texas will always have more money than Texas Tech, etc.

A kid being able to get paid X amount of money to go to UCLA or Texas Tech isn't likely to be swayed because he can get paid at UCLA or Texas Tech...especially when he can get the same amount of money from USC or Texas.
I can already see it happening on the recruitment front. There will be a huge drop off from the Top3 classes to 4-6, then another big drop from 7-10.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can already see it happening on the recruitment front. There will be a huge drop off from the Top3 classes to 4-6, then another big drop from 7-10.

The funny thing is, I'm actually in favor of paying players. I just haven't seen or been able to think of any way to do it that doesn't ultimately make things worse for the sport.

There are just way too many potential "unintended consequences" with bad outcomes.

We've only looked at the financial aspect too.

What happens on teams when the star wide receiver starts wondering why he gets paid the same as the 3rd string offensive guard?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is, I'm actually in favor of paying players. I just haven't seen or been able to think of any way to do it that doesn't ultimately make things worse for the sport.

There are just way too many potential "unintended consequences" with bad outcomes.

We've only looked at the financial aspect too.

What happens on teams when the star wide receiver starts wondering why he gets paid the same as the 3rd string offensive guard?
or when a 3 star DE out performs a high 4 star or 5 star DE. As soon as they breakout do they hit the portal knowing they get one transfer and can cash in on another recruitment?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or when a 3 star DE out performs a high 4 star or 5 star DE. As soon as they breakout do they hit the portal knowing they get one transfer and can cash in on another recruitment?
not to mention the other sports.
mens and womens.
do you pay more to the revenue sports?
if so why should the 3rd sting O lineman get more than the star golfer who leads the team to a NC?
do you pay by year? Seniors more than Freshmen?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Sky pulls the plug on any fall football.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Experienced Bears Poised to Contend for North Division Title | SportsPac12

chase-garbers-800x445.jpg

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to mention the other sports.
mens and womens.
do you pay more to the revenue sports?
if so why should the 3rd sting O lineman get more than the star golfer who leads the team to a NC?
do you pay by year? Seniors more than Freshmen?

That is the one question that needs to be addressed instead of throwing a fit and demanding the illogical. Did the chick star for Oregon’s basketball team deserve more than most of the Oregon football team? In revenue no, but on paper and nationally more people knew her than the name of 90% of the Oregon football team.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the 8 teams that have a 20% or more chance to win the Natty.

336CFA58-86A3-48C8-B25E-45D06478794E.jpeg