• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Shit, I don't think I'm going to be ready to predict USC's season until after the season. I have no fucking clue what to expect.

The passing game should be good. Outside of that...:noidea:

Look, If recent history teaches us anything we (Trojan fans) have only the off season to talk shit before reality (Clays coaching) kicks in so my advice is take any sliver of hope and run with it now because it could be our only chance. lol. Like you I'm not worried about the offense unless someone puts a hit on Slovis. The Defense should be better with someone (anyone) new and remember we had nothing but true freshmen and a few sophomores in pass protection. They are a talented atheletic bunch who hopefully got a good amount of experience this past season. The D line needs to make a jump and be better. Alabama is going to beat us but hopefully It's a respectable loss. No PAC team comes into next season fully loaded. So why not us! lol
Fight ON!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, If recent history teaches us anything we (Trojan fans) have only the off season to talk shit before reality (Clays coaching) kicks in so my advice is take any sliver of hope and run with it now because it could be our only chance. lol. Like you I'm not worried about the offense unless someone puts a hit on Slovis. The Defense should be better with someone (anyone) new and remember we had nothing but true freshmen and a few sophomores in pass protection. The D line needs to make a jump and be better. Alabama is going to beat us but hopefully It's a respectable loss. No PAC team comes into next season fully loaded. So why not us! lol
Fight ON!

Yeah, there's a lot to be optimistic about.

We have something like 18 returning starters, so inexperience shouldn't be an issue. There is also a lot of talent on the team since these are kids from higher ranked recruiting classes. They won 8 games last year, so it's not exactly like the old quote of "Is returning everyone from a 3 win team really a good thing?" lol

The defense should be better just off of experience and hopefully, whoever the new DC is, they will be less predictable than Clancy was.

The offense should be better too. Heck, if they can just stay healthy, they should be better.

On the other hand, 18 returning starters also means 18 players who have been making the mistakes, etc. that we've been complaining about. lol

Honestly, my biggest concerns re: the team have little to do with the talent or, believe it or not, even the coaching.

I'm not worried about the talent because, as I said, these players are from more highly ranked classes. I'm not too worried about the coaching because it should be fine on the offensive side of the ball and they should be able to land an upgrade from Clancy. Clay may be slow to move guys, but he's upgraded each time he has. He made a really good recovery from the Kingsbury thing by getting Harrell and then managing to keep him.

It's all of the other bullshit that can effect the kids that concerns me. Clay is back, but it feels more like it's because they didn't have time to put something together to land Meyer, Franklin or Rhule. That means they're going to be dealing with the same "Helton on the hot seat" stuff they dealt with last year (and really for his whole tenure).

Add to that the lingering FBI investigation into the basketball team and the admissions scandal and a down recruiting class and things are kind of a mess.

One of the things that pretty much everyone agrees with re: Helton is that he has never lost the team. The kids always play hard for him. I just wonder how much more crap they can take.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there's a lot to be optimistic about.

We have something like 18 returning starters, so inexperience shouldn't be an issue. There is also a lot of talent on the team since these are kids from higher ranked recruiting classes. They won 8 games last year, so it's not exactly like the old quote of "Is returning everyone from a 3 win team really a good thing?" lol

The defense should be better just off of experience and hopefully, whoever the new DC is, they will be less predictable than Clancy was.

The offense should be better too. Heck, if they can just stay healthy, they should be better.

On the other hand, 18 returning starters also means 18 players who have been making the mistakes, etc. that we've been complaining about. lol

Honestly, my biggest concerns re: the team have little to do with the talent or, believe it or not, even the coaching.

I'm not worried about the talent because, as I said, these players are from more highly ranked classes. I'm not too worried about the coaching because it should be fine on the offensive side of the ball and they should be able to land an upgrade from Clancy. Clay may be slow to move guys, but he's upgraded each time he has. He made a really good recovery from the Kingsbury thing by getting Harrell and then managing to keep him.

It's all of the other bullshit that can effect the kids that concerns me. Clay is back, but it feels more like it's because they didn't have time to put something together to land Meyer, Franklin or Rhule. That means they're going to be dealing with the same "Helton on the hot seat" stuff they dealt with last year (and really for his whole tenure).

Add to that the lingering FBI investigation into the basketball team and the admissions scandal and a down recruiting class and things are kind of a mess.

One of the things that pretty much everyone agrees with re: Helton is that he has never lost the team. The kids always play hard for him. I just wonder how much more crap they can take.

I agree but to me it is about Clay. Penn State has bounced back from the most horrific scandal ever. Baylor bounced back from some really bad shit. It was their coaching that did it. Clay is a nice guy we all agree but he has a lot to learn about leading and teaching. Harrell can save his ass with his offense and he needs to get a D cord that can lead that side of the ball. Clay is too reactionary for me, he deals with problems way after they have come to light. A good coach adjusts at half time a great coach can see how things are going after a series or two and begins to adjust. Clay wants to look at the tape to see what happened. I don't know if there's enough time for him to fix that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but to me it is about Clay. Penn State has bounced back from the most horrific scandal ever. Baylor bounced back from some really bad shit. It was their coaching that did it. Clay is a nice guy we all agree but he has a lot to learn about leading and teaching. Harrell can save his ass with his offense and he needs to get a D cord that can lead that side of the ball. Clay is too reactionary for me, he deals with problems way after they have come to light. A good coach adjusts at half time a great coach can see how things are going after a series or two and begins to adjust. Clay wants to look at the tape to see what happened. I don't know if there's enough time for him to fix that.

Agree. I think that's where Clay being a nice guy works against him for sure. He's too loyal to his assistants and frankly, he's too loyal to some players.

I'd love to see him get on a player or assistant coaches ass on the sidelines during a game sometime ala Saban or some of the other coaches. But I don't think he has it in him.

He can still be a very good or even great head coach. But he has to take more of a Pete Carroll approach.

Imo, Pete Carroll was an average coach...but he was a great recruiter, he could spot talented coaches and he let them do their jobs. He's not afraid to move on from a coach or player as well. That's what competition Tuesdays were all about and how many times did we hear him say..."I'm going to play the guys who give us the best chance to win, no matter how long they've been with the program."

Clay will stick with the same guy, making the same mistakes until he's forced to make a change.

Sometimes I think Clay is too worried about hurting someone's feelings.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I think that's where Clay being a nice guy works against him for sure. He's too loyal to his assistants and frankly, he's too loyal to some players.

I'd love to see him get on a player or assistant coaches ass on the sidelines during a game sometime ala Saban or some of the other coaches. But I don't think he has it in him.

He can still be a very good or even great head coach. But he has to take more of a Pete Carroll approach.

Imo, Pete Carroll was an average coach...but he was a great recruiter, he could spot talented coaches and he let them do their jobs. He's not afraid to move on from a coach or player as well. That's what competition Tuesdays were all about and how many times did we hear him say..."I'm going to play the guys who give us the best chance to win, no matter how long they've been with the program."

Clay will stick with the same guy, making the same mistakes until he's forced to make a change.

Sometimes I think Clay is too worried about hurting someone's feelings.

He's the little league coach clapping and saying next time after a strikeout. lol.
Still no word on a D cord. Does Harrell have a mean older brother? lol

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Buh bye Leach. WSU will be looking for a new HC immediately.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, 3-9 next year? :noidea:

Things keep looking up for you @mrwallace2ku. Beavers going to move back up a slot at least in the north.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cougs be fucked.

Time to fire up the Portal! Anyone need a QB? lol
beammeupscotty.gif

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering if wazzy was happy since he always slammed leach, or pissed because they are possibly heading back to irrelevancy, but either way he's probably drinking so it doesn't really matter.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering if wazzy was happy since he always slammed leach, or pissed because they are possibly heading back to irrelevancy, but either way he's probably drinking so it doesn't really matter.
Were they relevant or just had an entertaining coach?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were they relevant or just had an entertaining coach?
I mean they weren't that relevant to UW since leach couldn't even bring one close game, but smacked most everyone else at least once.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’s the age old question. Would you rather be irrelevant or be relevant knowing your going to lose your last 2 games every year. You get really high with Leach but then want to murder the guy. Best of luck to him but he will be on the job market in a couple of years. Everyone keeps comparing A&M with Johnny football tearing up the SEC or even Burrow now. You know what those two players did, was fucking run. If he can every get Mississippi State into 2nd place in the SEC he should be elected into the HOF.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Leach had the greatest era of WSU football and he was only 50% in conference

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Price's era was better, if only for the highs.
Leach had better win % overall and in conference.
Neither won the conference
Price tied for 1st 2x Lost 2 Rose bowls
Leach tied for 1st 1x in the division and Alamo was the highest bowl and won.

almost a push

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach had better win % overall and in conference.
Neither won the conference
Price tied for 1st 2x Lost 2 Rose bowls
Leach tied for 1st 1x in the division and Alamo was the highest bowl and won.

almost a push

Losing 2 Rose Bowls > Winning an Alamo Bowl