• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ozzie Newsome?

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been listening to the SCORE the past couple weeks while working from home (thank you internet radio!!). A name that keeps being brought up is Ozzie Newsome. Of course this assumes that we move on from Emery but he is a really intriguing candidate. Repeated solid drafts, consistent Playoffs appearances and a Super Bowl title under his belt.

If this pans out, it'd be interesting to see who his HC would be. One would think Mike Smith would be on the list. While I wouldn't be excited about him at least he'd have previous head coaching experience.

Thoughts?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see him leaving Baltimore, he's been with that organization for almost 20 years.

Unless it was the AD job at Alabama, but maybe that's my bias.

brh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been listening to the SCORE the past couple weeks while working from home (thank you internet radio!!). A name that keeps being brought up is Ozzie Newsome. Of course this assumes that we move on from Emery but he is a really intriguing candidate. Repeated solid drafts, consistent Playoffs appearances and a Super Bowl title under his belt.

If this pans out, it'd be interesting to see who his HC would be. One would think Mike Smith would be on the list. While I wouldn't be excited about him at least he'd have previous head coaching experience.

Thoughts?

Of course it would be great to have Newsome. He's a proven high quality GM. But in order to hire someone, they have to be available. Last I checked, he already has a GM job with the Ravens. How do you expect to pry him away from them? The Bears can't even talk to him without their permission.

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I checked, he already has a GM job with the Ravens. How do you expect to pry him away from them?

Create a new organizational position that supersedes GM.

brh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Create a new organizational position that supersedes GM.

It doesn't work that way. Teams can't just make up their own positions and use it to get around the NFL rules. When it comes to executives, it doesn't matter what the team calls them. If the guy has final say over the roster (which Newsome does in Baltimore), you can't interview him for any job without that team's permission.

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't work that way. Teams can't just make up their own positions and use it to get around the NFL rules. When it comes to executives, it doesn't matter what the team calls them. If the guy has final say over the roster (which Newsome does in Baltimore), you can't interview him for any job without that team's permission.

If they expanded his responsibilities beyond just the roster they can do it. There are ways around everything, you just need to be creative.

Another factor is Newsome's contract. His might be up soon which makes all of this a moot point.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they expanded his responsibilities beyond just the roster they can do it. There are ways around everything, you just need to be creative.

Another factor is Newsome's contract. His might be up soon which makes all of this a moot point.

Yea... Give him McCaskey's job.

brh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, but no there isn't a way around it. NFL rules specifically forbid it. It doesn't matter what title or responsibilities they make up, teams simply are not allowed to go poach front office executives at that level from other teams without permission.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love the Bears to get Ozzie Newsome. He's exactly the type of guy you want your team to have. It's not going to happen, though. Heck, I would've loved for the Bears to have hired Newsome's second-in-command, Eric DeCosta, back when they hired Emery. But all indications are he's taking over for Newsome (who's 59 next year) when the latter steps down.

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love the Bears to get Ozzie Newsome. He's exactly the type of guy you want your team to have. It's not going to happen, though. Heck, I would've loved for the Bears to have hired Newsome's second-in-command, Eric DeCosta, back when they hired Emery. But all indications are he's taking over for Newsome (who's 59 next year) when the latter steps down.

I also heard that if Newsome goes anywhere it'll be the be the AD at Alabama. :( IIRC the Bears tried to get DeCosta, he was their #1 target, but Baltimore takes care of him so he stays (plus I think his wife is from the Baltimore area too).

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just honestly can't see this organization moving on from Emery so quickly.

I won't mind if they do, but I don't see it happening.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just honestly can't see this organization moving on from Emery so quickly.

I won't mind if they do, but I don't see it happening.

The past couple of days have me thinking this isn't going to be the last of Emery and Trestman either.

Sure the DC will be fired(about 4 months too late IMO), probably some position coaches as well. The last of Lovie's guys will be gone from the team during the offseason as well.

I'm really starting to think it's just Mel Tucker is really frigging bad at his job and a lack of leadership from a couple of checked out veterans(I'm looking at you lance. see ya!)

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The past couple of days have me thinking this isn't going to be the last of Emery and Trestman either.

They simply cannot keep Trestman, not after seeing how the team has checked out on him. Emery is debatable and largely depends on how he's defending the job he's done (and throwing Trestman under the bus). JMO

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was largely in Trestman's corner until the GB game. It's clear he's lost this team.

Whether the Bears braintrust sees it the same way is debatable, but I do not see any way Trestman can keep his job. It's a shame, cos he seems a likeable enough guy; but the players aren't listening.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was largely in Trestman's corner until the GB game. It's clear he's lost this team.

Whether the Bears braintrust sees it the same way is debatable, but I do not see any way Trestman can keep his job. It's a shame, cos he seems a likeable enough guy; but the players aren't listening.

To me, I think that Trestman and Kromer are the best things going for this team. The only problem with Trestman is that he is our Head Coach instead of our offensive coordinator.

If Emery was responsible for the hiring of Mel Tucker, I would strongly consider giving Trestman a second chance as a Head Coach and do what is needed to be done and get a DC from an organization a bit stronger than the Jacksonville Jaguars. WTF, man.

C

cubzzzfanincali

To me, I think that Trestman and Kromer are the best things going for this team. The only problem with Trestman is that he is our Head Coach instead of our offensive coordinator.

If Emery was responsible for the hiring of Mel Tucker, I would strongly consider giving Trestman a second chance as a Head Coach and do what is needed to be done and get a DC from an organization a bit stronger than the Jacksonville Jaguars. WTF, man.

Can you explain this to me? The organization put far more money into the offense, which is ranked somewhere around 19th depending on the metric, than the defense, which is ranked somewhere around 23rd. Why, then, exactly, is Trestman doing a great job, and Tucker doing a poor one? If the offense was given the majority of the resources and is performing similarly, why would it be spared?

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you explain this to me? The organization put far more money into the offense, which is ranked somewhere around 19th depending on the metric, than the defense, which is ranked somewhere around 23rd. Why, then, exactly, is Trestman doing a great job, and Tucker doing a poor one? If the offense was given the majority of the resources and is performing similarly, why would it be spared?

Because I feel that the problem with the offense is primarily a QB problem. We could use some more talent on the offensive line, but more so to address the lack of production in the running game because they seem to be doing decent in their pass protection.

I like Trestman's play design and have confidence that we have plays to effectively address 3rd and longs, etc., but think Jay's lack of discipline has thrown a wrench in that process.

Conversely, I believe that we have the personnel on defense to be performing at a higher level than we are, which throws the blame in Tucker's area of responsibility. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we have a ton of talent on D, I just think that any decent DC would have the existing players playing with much more of a friggn' clue.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Because I feel that the problem with the offense is primarily a QB problem. We could use some more talent on the offensive line, but more so to address the lack of production in the running game because they seem to be doing decent in their pass protection.

I like Trestman's play design and have confidence that we have plays to effectively address 3rd and longs, etc., but think Jay's lack of discipline has thrown a wrench in that process.

Conversely, I believe that we have the personnel on defense to be performing at a higher level than we are, which throws the blame in Tucker's area of responsibility. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we have a ton of talent on D, I just think that any decent DC would have the existing players playing with much more of a friggn' clue.

Mmm, OK, I can see your point.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed... to add- I have believed for some time that any offense is going to be better 2-3-4 years in... That has/hasn't been the case this year...but it would be starting from scratch yet again. As much as people hate it- Jay does have a point when he says the teams with QB's in the same offensive schemes do better. And moving forward this "talent" on this the offensive side can come back from this next year. The key players are all under contract and will return- regardless of coach. So why not have the same scheme for the $ that's been paid.
Meanwhile the defense in the past two games have not shown any improvement... the mental mistakes and god awful giant holes in zones is coaching to me.
trestman and the Offense has shown they can succeed. There have been signs... the defense, and Mel hasn't shown much of anything.