• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Overpaid"

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over used word on July first. When the players hit the FA market and there is bidding it will almost always happen.

How many FA's today do people think were "Underpaid"?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, Boss.

Especially with the cap going up a significant amount, it's not something people should compare to the current contracts as much as to the other contracts of the day and the space and needs available to that team. The cap going up is a sign of economic health of the league, but also inflation creeps into these things, and not in the way it would with a company that produces goods and adjusts costs in tiny increments. It happens in years like this.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple really:

Everyone my team signed has a great contract and are not overpaid at all.

Anyone that I wanted to sign with my team, anyone that left my team to sign with another team, or anyone that simply didn't sign with my team at all, are all overpaid.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say underpaid for many guys today, but there were a few value pickups or guys that don't have to overachieve to get their worth.

Boucher (Car)
Halpern (Was)
Eager (Edm)
Kennedy (Pit)
among a few others...

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part when a team that signs a UFA on July 1st lots of fans of other teams chuckle and call it overpaying.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, Boss.

Especially with the cap going up a significant amount, it's not something people should compare to the current contracts as much as to the other contracts of the day and the space and needs available to that team. The cap going up is a sign of economic health of the league, but also inflation creeps into these things, and not in the way it would with a company that produces goods and adjusts costs in tiny increments. It happens in years like this.

There are many variables. Take Richards, if there were a couple more top centers on the market this year he would never get what he is going to eventually get.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple really:

Everyone my team signed has a great contract and are not overpaid at all.

Anyone that I wanted to sign with my team, anyone that left my team to sign with another team, or anyone that simply didn't sign with my team at all, are all overpaid.

By George I think hes got it. :pizza:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many variables. Take Richards, if there were a couple more top centers on the market this year he would never get what he is going to eventually get.

Yepper.

Also, Comeds is wrong, no George was overpaid today.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't say underpaid for many guys today, but there were a few value pickups or guys that don't have to overachieve to get their worth.

Boucher (Car)
Halpern (Was)
Eager (Edm)
Kennedy (Pit)
among a few others...

Definitely good call with Boucher. With that price, why not? He's solid, not great. At minimum wage I'd take Boucher back if Bob had some serious suitors.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boucher (Car)
Halpern (Was)
Eager (Edm)
Kennedy (Pit)
among a few others...

There will be players that get contracts like you said, however in most cases it happened because not too many teams were rushing to the phones to call their agents. Generally the "star" players are in a position to be "overpaid" because of demand.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be players that get contracts like you said, however in most cases it happened because not too many teams were rushing to the phones to call their agents. Generally the "star" players are in a position to be "overpaid" because of demand.

Yeah, and even some not-so-star players. The market is what it is.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part when a team that signs a UFA on July 1st lots of fans of other teams chuckle and call it overpaying.

The word "overpaid" is also used by fans of a team that wanted that player and didn't get him.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word "overpaid" is also used by fans of a team that wanted that player and didn't get him.

There's a difference. I wanted Ehrhoff, but I'm glad the Isles didn't give him what the Sabres did. An 8 million dollar signing bonus? Give me a break. What the Panthers are doing is ridiculous.

The only team Eric Cole has ever played well for is Carolina. I wish the Canadiens luck. He could end up being the next Scott Gomez.