• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Over/Under 20 gms before Lavy gets Axe'd?

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have barely seen this preseason and from what people are posting Lavy should have a short leash this year before ultimately getting the axe! I say 20 gms is a good sample size to decide his fate so I'm going with over, more then likely 25-30 games in and if they are looking like a high school team Lavy is directed to where the door is!

Over/Under 20 games!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree, Flyers have had very incomplete teams the past couple seasons & putting someone in the hot seat for the preseason doesn't see fair at all.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lavi goes the entire season. I'm not ready to throw the towel in for preseason games. Seems ridiculous.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really not the preseason games, but if there is a terrible start to the regular season combined with last season, I think the leash will be fairly short here. This is a team that is expected to not just make the playoffs yearly, but be a serious Cup contender always.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really not the preseason games, but if there is a terrible start to the regular season combined with last season, I think the leash will be fairly short here. This is a team that is expected to not just make the playoffs yearly, but be a serious Cup contender always.

I'm still not sold on our goaltending or the defense. I think it will be another tough season for us, but I think Lavi's job is still safe regardless.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they match their Preseason record to open the season, lavy will be fired.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sold on our goaltending or the defense. I think it will be another tough season for us, but I think Lavi's job is still safe regardless.

Yeah, but what's a "tough season?" That could mean anything. If we miss the playoffs again (regardless of injuries), I don't see how he is retained as head coach. There's too much money spent and talent spread throughout the roster to miss the playoffs again.

Or...if we start out looking so poor that there appears to be no chance in hell of the postseason, the same goes.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not as if this preseason is a first. We are making the same systemless mistakes that cost us our season last year. It's as if Lavy can't adapt his system. (Where have I heard that before?)

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but what's a "tough season?" That could mean anything. If we miss the playoffs again (regardless of injuries), I don't see how he is retained as head coach. There's too much money spent and talent spread throughout the roster to miss the playoffs again.

Or...if we start out looking so poor that there appears to be no chance in hell of the postseason, the same goes.

I guess I was meaning injuries mostly when I mentioned tough season. We seem to get very hard w this every year, more Dothan most teams. On another note if Lavi gets fired, then I want Terry Murray as the next coach.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really isn't about the preseason per se as much as it is how this preseason reflects last regular season which highlighted the problems that the team had in long stretches the previous season....and can be seen also reflected in Lavy's final season in Carolina.

Is he a decent coach, yes. Does he have a "system" that can work? Given the ideal roster that stays healthy, yes. Does he have said roster? No. Homer has consistently "swung for the fences" when making player moves and like all power hitters his average has suffered. Fine tuning and little lineup adjustments here and there with the right system and this team is okay...should be a playoff team and then anything can happen. But since it is clear from the players performance, and the GM's moves that getting the ideal roster is not going to happen, and since Lavy has only ever had one "system"....so, he is the one who goes.

I really really really hope that the season opens and the Flyers rip off a nice hot stretch and make us all feel stupid. I hope that the forwards all learn how to back check and play defensive hockey within Lavy's system. I hope that Emery and Mason are both so good that it is impossible to choose who to start...but after 40 years of following/playing/coaching this sport...I tend to think that what I hope for is not going to happen in this case.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe his job will be on the line if they perform in the regular season like they perform in the preseason but you can't get down on a team for having a bad preseason record. Purpose of preseason isn't really to win, it 's to try people out, give them a chance to shake off the rust, & get an idea of what might work for the team. I think Lavy is a good coach and firing him without having another guy lined up would be a big mistake. If the Flyers fire him might as well do it during the offseason so you have better options to replace him.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As already stated it's not just this preseason, it's like a seamless transition from last year to now with no difference in outcomes.

What the Fuck is a Bruins fan doing here chirping??? STFU! Go eat a dick!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm bias on this. Always liked Laviolette as a coach and as a person. Also don 't feel he had a complete team to work with . Flyers lacking at the blue line & in net . Then again it all comes down to results at the end. No matter how much praise I give Lavy no matter how many excuses I could come up with, if he doesn't get results he will find himself on the hot seat. Still tho , 20 games?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys guys guys, c'mon, no need for personal attacks. Let's just chat hockey. I think some Flyer fans are disappointed with the team has performed under Laviolette over the past 2-3 years, especially last year, and frustration is building. I just don't think he was equipped with a very complete team. Yes, they are very talented, but they have been lacking at the blue line and in net, not to mention all the injuries they faced last season. I personally don't think it's his fault, I don't see too many coaches being very successful if their only puck moving dman is 38 years old and their starting goalie is more concerned with contemplating the universe than he is with hockey.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lavy brought this team to a cup.

The flyers players have let us down due to themseleves or injury

This roster has talent. lets see what happens

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly believe the flyers defense is the most underrated and under utilized group in the league. The way the team plays (by lavys orders or not) makes them look bad.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly believe the flyers defense is the most underrated and under utilized group in the league. The way the team plays (by lavys orders or not) makes them look bad.

IDK, was there anyone on last year's roster other than Kimmo Timonen that you would trust with the puck? Not just when it comes to setting up at the point but just to get the puck out of their own zone. I would say the only other guy on last year's roster that I might trust with the puck would be Brayden Coburn, maybe Nicklas Grossmann once every blue moon. Other than that, there weren't too many Flyers that could do anything with the puck. I don't think that had anything to do with the system they play, I think that was based on them not having sufficient puck handling, passing, & shooting skills.

That's why I think it was a good move for them to get Mark Streit, he's got the skills to relieve Timonen of having to carry that blue line all the time.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, was there anyone on last year's roster other than Kimmo Timonen that you would trust with the puck? Not just when it comes to setting up at the point but just to get the puck out of their own zone. I would say the only other guy on last year's roster that I might trust with the puck would be Brayden Coburn, maybe Nicklas Grossmann once every blue moon. Other than that, there weren't too many Flyers that could do anything with the puck. I don't think that had anything to do with the system they play, I think that was based on them not having sufficient puck handling, passing, & shooting skills.

That's why I think it was a good move for them to get Mark Streit, he's got the skills to relieve Timonen of having to carry that blue line all the time.

One of the real issues we have had in the past few years is our forwards flying the zone WAY too fast. It's like watching folks play online video game hockey; the defenseman gets the puck behind the net and has three forward options - all of which are at the opposing blue line. That's not to say they haven't been slow on making decisions, either, because oh god they have been sometimes, but the forwards have not always or even usually done a good job of making themselves available.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the real issues we have had in the past few years is our forwards flying the zone WAY too fast. It's like watching folks play online video game hockey; the defenseman gets the puck behind the net and has three forward options - all of which are at the opposing blue line. That's not to say they haven't been slow on making decisions, either, because oh god they have been sometimes, but the forwards have not always or even usually done a good job of making themselves available.

This is true, Flyer forwards do break out of their own zone a bit too aggressively, a lot like video game hockey. Maybe the Flyers do try to go for long passes to breakout a bit too much, even if you have superstar forwards like the Flyers do, it's not a high percentage play unless you have a lot more guys like Timonen back there. Perhaps it was a mistake by Flyer coaches to not recognize this.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, Flyer forwards do break out of their own zone a bit too aggressively, a lot like video game hockey. Maybe the Flyers do try to go for long passes to breakout a bit too much, even if you have superstar forwards like the Flyers do, it's not a high percentage play unless you have a lot more guys like Timonen back there. Perhaps it was a mistake by Flyer coaches to not recognize this.

Essentially, the forwards as a whole don't play enough defense in my opinion and the defensemen, despite being mostly big and strong, do not clear the front of the net often enough. This leads to a lot of breakdowns in high scoring areas. This wasn't as much of a problem when we had Pronger, but it is now.