• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our WR's

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selecting Tavon Austin with the eighth overall pick isn’t going to change who starts on the outside in 2013.
According to Chris Wesseling of NFL.com, Austin will start in the slot (as expected) as Danny Amendola’s replacement, meaning the two outside receiver spots will be filled by incumbent receivers.
As quoted by Wesseling, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has a pretty good idea which players will fill those roles:
Quite honestly, (Pettis) is probably having the best camp of all the skill players. He's a tireless worker, very competitive, can play all the spots which helps and he's having a tremendous spring.
Pettis, of course, is 2011 third-round draft pick Austin Pettis, who tallied 30 receptions for 261 yards and four touchdowns last season. The 6’3”, 207-pound receiver is a big target with some wheels to match, though his 8.7-yards-per-catch average last season suggests he probably won’t be expected to stretch the field much in 2013.
With Pettis likely assuming the No. 2 role, Chris Givens should be Sam Bradford’s primary deep threat to start the season. With 42 catches for 698 yards (16.6 YPC) and three touchdowns last season, the 2012 fourth-round pick proved he can be a dangerous vertical weapon in St. Louis' offense.
Austin will fill the slot role, though he’s also very capable of lining up on the outside as a vertical threat, as he is adept at using his straight-line speed to stretch the field. Much like Seattle Seahawks receiver Percy Harvin, Austin is a nightmare with the ball in his hands, and the “No. 3 receiver” tag doesn’t necessarily indicate how much the Rams are going to use him in 2013.
That leaves 2012 second-rounder Brian Quick and rookie third-rounder Stedman Bailey to battle it out for the No. 4 spot on the depth chart.
According to Wesseling, Quick is likely to start the reason in that role after catching 11 passes for 156 yards and two touchdowns a season ago. Rams brass was extremely excited about acquiring Quick in the second round last year, but he didn’t have much of an impact in his rookie season due to an inability to master the team’s playbook, as noted by Joe Lyons of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
But Quick has the size (6’3”, 220 pounds) and ball skills to be a terrific fourth option for Bradford. Given the surprising depth St. Louis now features in its receiving corps, Bailey may face a similar redshirt-like rookie campaign as he adjusts to the NFL level.
Still, the Rams addressed one of their biggest positional needs with two players who have the potential to see a lot of action this season. Austin is a true game-changer with all the explosiveness teams look for in a slot receiver, and Bailey, while not likely to start in the near future, is also very capable with the ball in his hands.

Projected WR Depth Chart
No. 1Chris GivensNo. 2Austin Pettis SlotTavon AustinNo. 4Brian QuickNo. 5Stedman BaileyNo. 6Nick Johnson

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it's only a matter of time before Quick passes Pettis on the depth chart. My avatar agrees, lol.

Camp is camp. The last Rams WR camp stud is no longer on the roster (Gibson).

Maybe not to start the season, but by season's end:

1: Brian Quick (go-to possession receiver)
2: Chris Givens (deep threat)
Slot: Tavon Austin (swiss army knife)
4: Austin Pettis (can back up any position)
5: Stedman Bailey (Austin/Givens backup)
6: Nick Johnson (depth only)

Pettis and Bailey would be interchangeable as 4/5s, depending upon formation.

Last edited by a moderator:

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with shopson on Quick. I think he and Givens will take a step forward this year and be real contributors. Obviously Tavon is looking at the slot but I think he'll get some looks other places as well. Jared Cook could jump out towards the slot in a Gronk/Hernandez role(minus the guns). With that many guys who are legitimate passing threats it will really allow the Rams to spread defenses out and if they can run some no huddle drives they could force defenses on their heels in the worst way. Things are looking up folks!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that we picked Quick in a high spot but Pettis has been in the league a year longer and has all of the attributes of a possession receiver same as Quick. We drafted Quick because he worked out well. We drafted Bailey and the previous regime drafted Pettis because of their hands. We drafted Givens and Austin because of their speed.

I think we have an amoeba offense as long as its healthy but Id be a little shocked if Quick is the guy that wins out.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man if these players develop like Snead and Fisher envisioned, we will have one helluva receiving corp with size, speed, AND talent. I believe Pettis has learned his PEDs lesson and he is really have a great early season. Quick may just make us all forget who we let go by in the draft in the second to select him. I am anxious to see Travon and Chris's speed but I have been watching tape on this Bailey guy. He may just sneak in there and surprise a lot of people. A real good player so far.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect Quick, Givens or Pettis to have a 1500 yard season... but I do expect them to step it up and make some plays for Sam Bradford... As bad as Bradford's numbers look, a lot of his INTs and in-completions were not his fault.

Austin is a rookie and will make rookie mistakes... That's common. But I look for him to make adjustments and to learn from his mistakes.

We got this... Rams air attack will no longer be a joke! :)

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
retro, long term I expect Bailey to maybe be the top outside guy long term. If it's not Quick out there though the Rams are going to hit a problem when they need size. Quick is the only 1 of these guys with a lot of size and that plays into his corner. Let's not forget who led WVU is receiving yards and TD's each of the last 2 years because it wasn't Tavon.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane, purely theoretical but would you rather have 3 1000-yard guys or 4 750-yard guys? I'm not sure any of these guys will even reach 1000 yards much less 1500, but there's enough weapons that that's not necessarily a bad thing.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predictions barring injury:

Givens - 850
Austin - 750
Cook - 650
Pettis - 600
Bailey - 400
Quick - 350
Kendricks - 350

Total = 3,950 to receivers and tight ends

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see that number closer to 4200 RamCub, it could take a little bit of time for the offense to come together and they'll get better as the season goes so 3950 may be more realistic.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick is the only 1 of these guys with a lot of size and that plays into his corner.
I think Quick only has about 1/2" on Pettis. I think its a pretty legit WR competition with all of the players. Obviously I have high hopes for Austin and Givens but Cook might end up being our biggest threat.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mutigers1 - I think our defense will score more touchdowns this year and therefore we will be nursing our leads with the ground game and short passing game in the fourth quarter. Also, because of our improved dominating defense this year, our offense will have plenty of short field opportunities (less ground to rack up stats) to score!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big Wild Card about our offense is that we can 'match up' with other teams based on their personnel. There are a ton of large CBs in the NFC West and I think our quick WRs can test their agility a bit. The flip side to that is that their fans think that they can knock our small guys right out. Playing against the Arizona Cardinals with just small, quick guys might neutralize Patrick Peterson - generally considered a top 3 CB in the NFL. Flash some 2 TE sets against them to get Washington in coverage and not rushing Bradford.

There is some potential that we might actually have an above average offense next year. Its been so long...

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton, Quick has about 1 inch and 15 pounds on Pettis which is a little less of a difference than I thought. 1 of those 2 has to be on the field for the Rams but I stand corrected that it isn't much of an advantage for Quick.

RamCub, 21 NFL defenses were on the field for fewer plays than the Rams last season. That has to be remedied. If that means running the ball more so be it. The Rams gave up 80 3rd down conversions with a percentage allowed of 38% which was beaten by 12 other squads. Most importantly the Rams defense tied for 14th fewest point allowed. These numbers all must be improved. Only 3 teams scored more TD's than the Rams D last year so I don't see that number likely to increase, and even then you can't count on such rare plays. If the defense can get off the field quicker and the offense can hold the ball longer then it'll be a good season.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Clay, with the new rules in the NFL you can't simply bully small WR's anymore.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am 100% of the opinion that Emory Blake will also make this team out of camp as the last WR. Lots of people are talking up Pettis, but like some of my other bretheren, I think Quick will soon become the player Fisher and Snead intended for him to be. I love Pettis and Bailey and I think Austin will simply just be anywhere and everywhere just making plays... I can see 1 player, probably Givens stepping up with a 1000+ yard season...Austin might do the same in total yards... gonna be fun!!

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tavon will very likely reach 1000+ all-purpose yards. How many ways you see the Rams utilizing his skills?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is talking about smashmouth football from opponets CBs and how we are at a disadvantage if bigger corners. There is a lot to be said for speed. AS we all know, it kills. Bring on the big CBs. I think our speed will neutralize the difference in physical size. Of course all of this remains to be witnessed, but we have ahd speed before in Az Hakim and Ike Bruce and we did fine when the league was introducing bigness!!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see how an over-sized corner is going to stick with Austin. The kid just knows how to avoid taking big hits.