• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our FA list is much bigger than I thought

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me personally, I hope Pace upgrades the O-line before he worries about Jordan Howard or Kareem Hunt.

According to Football Outsiders, the Bears O-line ranked 28th in run-blocking.
While they admit that the ranking includes the success (or lack thereof) of the RB, the Bears "Stuff" ranking (tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage) is 22nd. In fact, 20.5 percent of runs resulted in a defensive stuff.
Pin it on Howard if you must, but how often did Cohen try to reverse direction or bounce runs outside because holes just weren't there? Answer: Plenty.
All things being equal, if the draft was held today, my first choice position-wise would be to target the OL. I'm a trenches guy - strengthen the team from the inside out. Naturally we'll have to see how the offseason plays out prior to the draft. A separate and coherent argument of course could be made for other spots on the roster - RB, Secondary, Edge. Just have to wait and see what kind of rabbits Pace can pull out of the hat.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me personally, I hope Pace upgrades the O-line before he worries about Jordan Howard or Kareem Hunt.

According to Football Outsiders, the Bears O-line ranked 28th in run-blocking.
While they admit that the ranking includes the success (or lack thereof) of the RB, the Bears "Stuff" ranking (tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage) is 22nd. In fact, 20.5 percent of runs resulted in a defensive stuff.
Pin it on Howard if you must, but how often did Cohen try to reverse direction or bounce runs outside because holes just weren't there? Answer: Plenty.
I think we have a pretty solid line.

It felt like Nagy viewed the running game as a mere setup aspect of his offense for a good chunk of the season, (very bland) but then when they switched to a zone-blocking scheme late in the season, they were very successful running the ball. First 10 weeks or so, it was run Howard off center maybe ten times a game for jack shit. Once they started flowing the line in one direction and allowed Howard to PICK his cutback lane, he looked just like he did in his first two seasons.

I too would prefer the Bears' offseason focus to be elsewhere. I think we have a stout run game that just needs to be utilized properly. Trading or cutting Howard just takes a pick or a FA away from other places of higher need.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to follow up my statements above...
Of Jordan Howard's 251 rush attempts, 47 runs (or 18%) were for no gain or loss.
Of Tarik Cohen's 99 rush attempts, 24 runs (or 24%) were for no gain or loss.
FYI

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of Jordan Howard's 251 rush attempts, 47 runs (or 18%) were for no gain or loss.
FYI
Those stats are not pretty.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI

Ya, that is terrible.

I would love to see that vs. the last 4 weeks or so, when Nagy seemed to figure out that a good running might be beneficial.

Would be my only real complaint on the season with Nagy, is that for 70% of the season, he didn't seem to care if the running game worked or not.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI

Interesting stat there. I said in previous opinions on Cohen that as much as I like him, he too often tries to outrun his pursuit by going laterally or gets boxed in behind the line of scrimmage when he's attempting those human joystick maneuvers. This is the NFL and a lot of that doesn't fly with today's disciplined and speedy defenders.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stat there. I said in previous opinions on Cohen that as much as I like him, he too often tries to outrun his pursuit by going laterally or gets boxed in behind the line of scrimmage when he's attempting those human joystick maneuvers. This is the NFL and a lot of that doesn't fly with today's disciplined and speedy defenders.

Sure, but he also broke some of those for long runs and averaged 4.5 YPC. He's never going to be a "chain moving back" - we all know that. When he's in there, we want the game breaking play. So, I think it's just fine and he need not change a thing. Let Howard (or whomever the 1st/2nd down back is next year) worry about the tough yardage.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that we're going to trade Howard, sign Hunt and roll with Mizzell/Cohen the first six weeks while Hunt is suspended.

Not saying that is right/wrong. It's just a gut feeling.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that we're going to trade Howard, sign Hunt and roll with Mizzell/Cohen the first six weeks while Hunt is suspended.

Not saying that is right/wrong. It's just a gut feeling.
For all we know, you may be dead on. But I'll ask again......why is Mizzell still on the team? I'd rather have Cunningham out there and I think he sucks too.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I'm going to just say it. Did anyone see the Kareem Hunt video? Well i did, and honestly. It wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it was going to be. It looked like to me he swept the legs of the (antagonizing) woman when she was squatting. Nothing like Daniel Larusso or anything. And not even close to the level of what Ray Rice did.

Sign the kid.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but he also broke some of those for long runs and averaged 4.5 YPC. He's never going to be a "chain moving back" - we all know that. When he's in there, we want the game breaking play. So, I think it's just fine and he need not change a thing. Let Howard (or whomever the 1st/2nd down back is next year) worry about the tough yardage.
What I would change is perhaps spreading out the offense a bit or stacking some receivers on one side of the ball to pull some of the secondary and/or linebackers, then handing off to Cohen and having him run between the tackles. He's got the speed and shiftiness to crack that first level. Look, I like the kid, maybe more than most on this board. And when he does get past that initial wall that's when he gains the big yards, which helps the avg per carry stat. But he too often runs laterally or tries to outjuke the defenders when the lanes are closed up. That's simply not going to cut it in this league.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rich is right and the Bears will sign Hunt.

Just don't know about the suspension.
As of now, Hunt is on the Commissioner's Exempt List indefinitely.
His suspension hasn't even started yet.
As for 6 games? I read one article that speculates it may be more than 6 games since Hunt has multiple altercations pending.
Some guess he won't play until 2020.
(Just in time for Howard's rookie contract to run out.)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rich is right and the Bears will sign Hunt.

Just don't know about the suspension.
As of now, Hunt is on the Commissioner's Exempt List indefinitely.
His suspension hasn't even started yet.
As for 6 games? I read one article that speculates it may be more than 6 games since Hunt has multiple altercations pending.
Some guess he won't play until 2020.
(Just in time for Howard's rookie contract to run out.)
The number of games for a suspension that has been tossed around generally falls on the number 6. Perhaps it's because just from being cut by the Chiefs, then immediately forgoing the rest of the year due to being placed on the Exempt List, this in essence becomes an extended suspension of sorts. I'm not sure why the NFL would reinstate him, only to then suspend him for the entire 2019 season. I'd be shocked if it went beyond 8 games tops.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number of games for a suspension that has been tossed around generally falls on the number 6. Perhaps it's because just from being cut by the Chiefs, then immediately forgoing the rest of the year due to being placed on the Exempt List, this in essence becomes an extended suspension of sorts. I'm not sure why the NFL would reinstate him, only to then suspend him for the entire 2019 season. I'd be shocked if it went beyond 8 games tops.
The number 6 has been tossed around.
But an NFL article spelled out that there is (1) the video/woman incident, plus (2) the still-pending man-punch investigation in Ohio, and on top of that, (3) Hunt lied to the NFL/Chiefs.
Can't see Goodell going soft here.

Kareem Hunt faces more than baseline six-game suspension

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all we know, you may be dead on. But I'll ask again......why is Mizzell still on the team? I'd rather have Cunningham out there and I think he sucks too.

I think Mizzell brings some interesting things to the table. I also think Nagy likes him.