• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: What's wrong with Philip Rivers?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's wrong with Philip Rivers? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

My only thought is that he has some sort of injury that is keeping him from performing at the level we are used to seeing from him. Thoughts?

he last time we saw Philip Rivers on a football field, he was as disorganized and as out of sorts as we***8217;ve seen him as an NFL quarterback.

Rivers was out of control and confused as an unsuccessful last-ditch drive ended in a six-point loss at the New York Jets, a game in which Rivers uncharacteristically threw two late interceptions that fueled a Jets comeback victory. Most alarming about Rivers***8217; meltdown is that it has been building all season.

Known as one of the better quarterbacks in football, Rivers has looked uncomfortable and out of sync for parts of nearly every game this season.

Rivers, who appeared to be pressing often against the Jets, needs to quickly revert to his normal, calm and effective self. The Chargers visit resurgent Kansas City on ESPN***8217;s ***8220;Monday Night Football***8221; in a game that has major near-midseason implications. If the Chiefs -- who have won three straight games after starting 0-3 -- win, they will be tied with San Diego and Oakland (which has a bye this week) for first place in the division at 4-3. However, if Rivers can straighten things out, the Chargers have a chance to rebound to 5-2 and continue to be the favorite to secure the division crown.

Philip Rivers: By the Numbers

Philip Rivers had more interceptions (2) than completions (1) on third down in the second half against the Jets this past Sunday.
1st Half 2nd Half
Comp-Att. 4-4 1-7
Yds per att. 12.5 4.3
1st down 4 1
TD-Int 1-0 0-2
Source: ESPN Stats & Information
But everything starts with Rivers in San Diego. Rivers***8217; inconsistency is one of the reasons the Chargers***8217; offense has been stagnant at times. The Chargers have struggled in the red zone and have had trouble compiling points. The Chargers haven***8217;t scored more than 29 points in a game this season. They have scored at least 30 points in at least five games every season since Rivers took over in 2006.

Rivers, who***8217;ll turn 30 in December, has been intercepted nine times in six games. In four of the Chargers***8217; six games this season, Rivers has been picked off twice, including the Chargers***8217; first three games, which was the first time Rivers was intercepted twice in three straight games. He has never been intercepted three times in a game in his career. His nine picks in 218 attempts this season equals the number of interceptions he threw in the entire 2009 season in 486 attempts. The most interceptions he has ever thrown in a season is 15.

His average of 7.9 yards per pass completion is his lowest since 2007. Rivers has thrown just seven touchdown passes, and he is on pace for his lowest touchdown passing total of his career.

He is also struggling in more obscure statistical areas, according to ESPN Stats and Information. He is not having success throwing out of the shotgun. Eight of his nine interceptions have been thrown out of the shotgun, to go along with four touchdown passes. From 2008-10, Rivers threw 50 touchdowns out of the shotgun and just 16 interceptions.

Although there were whispers about Rivers***8217; early-season struggles before the bye, his stinker against the Jets has prompted many analysts to wonder out loud what is wrong.

After the New York game, ESPN analyst Tom Jackson said this: ***8220;I***8217;m concerned. Philip Rivers is not right.***8221; ESPN analyst Merril Hoge added this during the week: ***8220;He is not dialed in. ... If he keeps playing like this, the Chargers will not make the playoffs.***8221;

Year of the Quarterback

ESPN has dedicated 2011 to examining one of the most crucial positions in all of sports -- the quarterback.
Year of the QB »
Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. wrote this week that he thinks Rivers could be dealing with an injury. Here is some of what Williamson wrote:

Rivers has not seemed right all season, and the only explanation I can come up with is that he might be battling an undisclosed injury. The quarterback is missing on throws he almost always completes, and the interceptions keep piling up as a result of questionable decisions. Perhaps his mind is writing checks that his body cannot cash.

Rivers said this week that he is healthy. I know there was concern early in the season that Rivers might have been favoring his ribs. But he has not appeared on any injury reports this season. Many scouts I have talked to believe Rivers is now simply trying too hard. I asked Williamson if he thinks Rivers can snap out of his funk or if this highly respected player is suddenly on the slide. Williamson didn***8217;t hesitate.

***8220;If he is physically able to throw the football like he is capable, I have no doubt that he will snap out of it,***8221; Williamson said. ***8220;I***8217;m extremely high on Rivers.***8221;

Rivers has maintained that all is fine and he has downplayed his and the Chargers***8217; issues this season. He has long heard criticism of his team and he believes, in the big picture, San Diego is on the right track.

"I don't know if it matters what we learned other than [the game is] something to fill tomorrow morning's news,'' Rivers said after the Jets game. "All I hear for six months was that the regular season didn't matter. Now, everyone wants to know what is the matter?"

Still, Rivers is considered an elite quarterback. He has been expected to become the next great quarterback to win a Super Bowl ring. But he has not played at Super Bowl-contending caliber this year, and until he does again, people will continue to wonder what***8217;s wrong with Rivers.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't had Gates, end of story.

Maybe not "end of story" but I think he has missed him dearly.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how long until the alex smith signing with the chargers rumors start? maybe rivers is injured, he certainly doesn't look like the same person out there

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't had Gates, end of story.

Maybe not "end of story" but I think he has missed him dearly.

He had Gates last game. So what's his excuse for that? He went almost all of last year without Vincent Jackson and a mediocre WR corps. There has to be more to it than that.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had Gates last game. So what's his excuse for that? He went almost all of last year without Vincent Jackson and a mediocre WR corps. There has to be more to it than that.

And last year, Gates was a monster. He got gates back part time for his first game since the opener. Gates didn't play preseason, there was no offseason and I didn't watch that Jets game. Was he in late in the game?

There is possibly more to it, a nagging injury or something, but I think Gates has that much of an impact. He's a huge security blanket.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And last year, Gates was a monster. He got gates back part time for his first game since the opener. Gates didn't play preseason, there was no offseason and I didn't watch that Jets game. Was he in late in the game?

There is possibly more to it, a nagging injury or something, but I think Gates has that much of an impact. He's a huge security blanket.

No, he started. Gates is still a monster, but the throws Rivers has been making are way off from what we are accustomed to seeing from him. I don't think the loss of Gates would result in Rivers making inaccurate throws.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he started. Gates is still a monster, but the throws Rivers has been making are way off from what we are accustomed to seeing from him. I don't think the loss of Gates would result in Rivers making inaccurate throws.

Not directly, but it would affect his comfort level. The only other thing I can think of would be a hidden injury. What do you think it is?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not directly, but it would affect his comfort level. The only other thing I can think of would be a hidden injury. What do you think it is?

I think it has to be an i injury. Rodgers didn't play any worse when Finley was out, same goes for Brees when Colston was out. I'm sure not having Gates factored into it, but not so much that it makes him look like a completely different QB.

I'm interested to see what Ray thinks considering he's the one who traded him to me. :p

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it has to be an i injury. Rodgers didn't play any worse when Finley was out, same goes for Brees when Colston was out. I'm sure not having Gates factored into it, but not so much that it makes him look like a completely different QB.

I'm interested to see what Ray thinks considering he's the one who traded him to me. :p

Those are bad examples, but I get your gist. We'll see how things go the next few weeks.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are bad examples, but I get your gist. We'll see how things go the next few weeks.

My point is that the elite QB's shouldn't drop off as much as Rivers has (specifically in the areas he's suffering in) because he lost one of his better targets.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that the elite QB's shouldn't drop off as much as Rivers has (specifically in the areas he's suffering in) because he lost one of his better targets.

How much has he really dropped off? He's still on track for ~4500 yards. His TD's have dropped and Int's up, I'd have to see the scenario for the picks but it's not hard for me to think that key 3rd downs and red zone attempts are where he's missing Gates.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget that Jackson, Floyd, Tolbert and Mathews have also been banged up at various times.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers is becoming a victim of his own success. He set the bar so high, that since he is now having a poor year, everyone is acting like something is wrong.

I'd just write it up as bad luck, plus, the Charger are terribly over-rated just because of how good he is. Kind of like how the media treated the Packers in 1999 and 2000.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers is a wanna be in fact that whole team stinks,biggest problem is the coaching staff if they were any good the Chargers just might be able to play to potential

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's crazy because I drafted Rivers as my Fantasy QB. It's a good thing I picked up Cam Newton after week 1. He's my starter now.