• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: This is so freaking COOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rga3r1muofq21.jpg

COME TASTE OUR FOUR SKINS

When it is on sale, the sign says "two Bottles of Juice for the price of one"

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if we'll get a welcome gift from @Comeds ? :suds:
Sore topic right now, staff retreat day yesterday. 500 + people at the Marriott.

I'll say more when I'm legally allowed.

But on the bright side:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On an exit interview, I was asked if I left behind any potential code bombs that were set to trigger in the future (basically wipe out crucial data or bring the system to its knees, that kind of thing). I replied that I didn't and thanked my manager for confirming that my decision to leave the company was the right one.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On an exit interview, I was asked if I left behind any potential code bombs that were set to trigger in the future (basically wipe out crucial data or bring the system to its knees, that kind of thing). I replied that I didn't and thanked my manager for confirming that my decision to leave the company was the right one.
So I take it you weren't subject to a very stringent code review on any of your changes?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I take it you weren't subject to a very stringent code review on any of your changes?

At the time (this was close to 24 years ago), code reviews were not very stringent. We (myself and four other guys) had basically carte blanche regarding the code that was developed. That's the thing though, because the team was so small, it would be pretty easy to track down any malicious code. I'd like to think we held ourselves to a professional standard that would never stoop to this kind of stuff, though.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time (this was close to 24 years ago), code reviews were not very stringent. We (myself and four other guys) had basically carte blanche regarding the code that was developed. That's the thing though, because the team was so small, it would be pretty easy to track down any malicious code. I'd like to think we held ourselves to a professional standard that would never stoop to this kind of stuff, though.
No idea about back then (sorry old man :D), but I've also seen this type of question fairly often more recently. I think it's probably a legal thing so that they can come after you if they find something.

I won't get into what I do for a living, but we are very much in the "Trust, but verify" space where we like to think a lot of people have professional standards too only to be disappointed more often than we'd like.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I appreciate the coffee hack, I'm having a hard time understanding why the coffee machine had to be on the network.

The only thing my brain (which needs an afternoon cup, BTW) can come up with is a machine where you have to pay and so it has to connect to run a credit card or verify that you've got funds loaded on your account.

Seriously, what other reason would there be?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea about back then (sorry old man :D), but I've also seen this type of question fairly often more recently. I think it's probably a legal thing so that they can come after you if they find something.

I won't get into what I do for a living, but we are very much in the "Trust, but verify" space where we like to think a lot of people have professional standards too only to be disappointed more often than we'd like.

I am in the "Trust no one and prove why you shouldn't" space.

As much as I appreciate the coffee hack, I'm having a hard time understanding why the coffee machine had to be on the network.

The only thing my brain (which needs an afternoon cup, BTW) can come up with is a machine where you have to pay and so it has to connect to run a credit card or verify that you've got funds loaded on your account.

Seriously, what other reason would there be?

So he didn't have to get up and start it, duh.

I've known a lot of engineers over my career who legitimately can only answer "to see if I could" when asked why they did something. Would not surprise me in the least if this guy did it just because he had already scripted something for it.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in the "Trust no one and prove why you shouldn't" space.

So he didn't have to get up and start it, duh.

I've known a lot of engineers over my career who legitimately can only answer "to see if I could" when asked why they did something.
But why did the coffee machine have networking capabilities in the first place? That's the part that I can't figure out.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the approach that you have to take these days - I think the irony is that after all these years, my code is more closely scrutinized that it has ever been, yet I like to think that I write much better code now than I did when I first started out (I look back and shudder at some of the first programs I developed lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.