• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Premiership Forum

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so seeing as how the US is usually the fallback location in case something goes wrong. They have infrastructure to support something likes this with little notice. Example, look at the New York Metropolitan Area. World class subway system, as well as trains in and out, buses, plenty of hotel rooms and they already have Yankee Stadium, Citifield, Metlife Stadium, Red Bulls Arena and if need be the Rutgers Football Stadium. Give them 6 months and they wouldn't bat an eye.

I see the US being, at best, top 5 on the fallback list. As I said in an earlier post, England and Germany, plus I would expect Spain and Italy, since those 4 countries have the top 4 domestic leagues. Add to that Brazil, who will have semi-recent experience from hosting 2014 and Russia who will have hosted in 2018. Just as an example, when there were questions about whether South Africa would be ready to host in 2010, FIFA had indicated that Germany - the most recent host - would be the fallback.

The US may have the greatest number of stadiums altogether, but what we have working against us is a) relatively few of these stadiums that have a large enough capacity are soccer specific so there's concerns about total field size, sightlines, etc. and b) the logistics of bringing that many people to the US and moving them around in a geographically very large country. All of that can be handled easily with appropriate planning, but not sure it could happen on a 6-12 month timeline like the other countries could.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from the fact that Qatar was clearly lining the pockets of the voting committee, what the hell is there to do in Qatar? Do they have a bar scene and restaurants? Are they really going to be able to handle the influx of people? Have to figure there will be more people than hotel rooms, hope the hospitals are prepared for scores of heat stroke victims that couldn't find a room.

-Also, add the stadium that will be build for the new New York MLS team that starts up in 2015 to the list of stadiums in the NYC Met areas.

Beaches. Lots and lots of beaches.

Alcohol is generally not permitted in public, but the government has stated that they will allow drinking during the tournament. I'm sure there are still some details to be hashed out with that though.

I don't think they'll have trouble handling the people though. Qatar is one of those oil rich countries that will spend a shitload of money on stuff that may only be useful for a short period of time (though maybe not as bad as UAE). They'll build all sorts of fancy hotels and infrastructure improvements for the tournament and then may or may not bother to maintain it after that.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alcohol is generally not permitted in public, but the government has stated that they will allow drinking during the tournament. I'm sure there are still some details to be hashed out with that though.

like the whole woman aspect lol

WAGS !!! ... dont forget your burkas

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't help but think players like that choose to play for the US only because they're not good enough to make a squad like Germany, not because the US team is more appealing.

Let's face it, no matter how much they've improved, the US is still nowhere near the Germans, either on paper - US is 22nd though should certainly climb a few spots when the next ratings come out, Germans are 2nd - or in actual fact.

kinda agree ... its about an easier opportunity to play on a global stage (which can end up boosting the players potential club/career aspirations) ... again not about klinsman imo ... he may have the pipeline into the germans who are choosing to play for the usmnt but there are other out there ... like:

Making an announcement on his Facebook page, AZ Alkmaar forward Aron Johannsson has decided to pledge his future to the USMNT, rejecting the nation that raised him, Iceland, despite playing for them in the youth levels

Iceland had virtually no shot at making the world cup out of uefa. Plus by Aron pledging to be american he will be a domestic player under quota rules of the MLS and almost guarantees he would be able to finish his career there

I definitely agree that it does have at least a little to do with the inability to make the german squad. But if the team isn't appealing, then why even bother making the switch. For instance, Jermaine Jones also made the switch, but he did so much later on (28?) than this wave of players. Just saying, whether Klinsmann's efforts or not, it's still nice to see.

John Anthony Brooks is another player worth watching. He's getting called up for the next friendly but isn't cap tied to either Germany or US. Hopefully they can cap tie him because he could provide depth at CB probably as quick as next summer in Brazil.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys think they are going to move the World Cup from Qatar in 2022? You can't have guys playing in 40+ degrees Celsius heat, but moving the tourney to the winter time screws up all the European professional leagues.

Think they move it to the winter which would probably change European football more than we know.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guardian sport ‏@guardian_sport now Latest score at 35mins: Manchester City 5-0 Milan

pregame gnocchi was a bad idea :noidea:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
digesting on the fly i guess

Michael Cox ‏@Zonal_Marking now This is crazy. Man City 5-2 Milan after 39 minutes...

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think: I wonder if they hit the over yet?

Manchester City FC ‏@MCFC now 43. Goal for Milan. Crazy game! Petagna slots past Hart and the scoreline is now City 5-3 Milan!

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iceland had virtually no shot at making the world cup out of uefa. Plus by Aron pledging to be american he will be a domestic player under quota rules of the MLS and almost guarantees he would be able to finish his career there

Something I meant to add in my previous post was that Iceland are 3rd right now in their group and 1 point behind 2nd place with 4 games to go. A lot better odds than you think.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I meant to add in my previous post was that Iceland are 3rd right now in their group and 1 point behind 2nd place with 4 games to go. A lot better odds than you think.

so they possibly finish 2nd in their weak group and end up as cannon fodder in the playoffs ???

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New guys looked good for Man City in the first half from what I read. Maybe they can finally do something in the Champions League.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weak ... weak effort!!!

[YOUTUBE]fXiBsN1_GUM#at=18[/YOUTUBE]

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

CSA is currently in the final stages of bringing him on board for the Canadian men's team...