• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Pac Man KO'd

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so ya guess we can put those pacman is better than mayweather crap to rest.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't see the fight, but I'm not sure it changes much, marquez has always given manny all that he can handle they just match up in that perfectly weird way. Anyone can get knocked out too. Manny losing by looking slow and washed up is a different story than getting caught, but by most account it sounded like manny was winning before that.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marquez won the third fight. Last night I though that Pac was actually winning the fight until he got KO'd. Marquez was the smarter fighter and Pac got caught trying to steal the round.

Pac had the round won already, he was trying to keep hurtin Marquez. Marquez was on wobbly legs after his knockdown and get his nose busted.

btw, I am huge PAC fan but I have nothing but respect for Marquez.

The biggest difference in this fight was Marquez notable strength increase. I'm not insinuating anything..I'm kinda tired of that argument living in the bay area and all lol

Marquez is a technical boxer, and precision counter puncher, not a knockdown artist..his new power surprised me.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the fight, but I'm not sure it changes much, marquez has always given manny all that he can handle they just match up in that perfectly weird way. Anyone can get knocked out too. Manny losing by looking slow and washed up is a different story than getting caught, but by most account it sounded like manny was winning before that.

mayweather toyed with marquez as a tune up fight after his 2 yr retirement. he's just a much better boxer than marquez.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HTML:
ya'll wanna see a dead body?
2lizt6s.jpg

As a Pac fan, that sucks but I laughed

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pac vs Marquez is such a fun matchup to watch because, it's the ultimate puncher vs counter puncher

I watched the fight, I thought Manny was moving quick and landing the straight left to the face almost at will.

Marquez was landing hard body shots and really only connected on two shots that landed flush for both knockdowns.
It wasn't a series of combos that took Pac down, just single clean shots.

That's what was so surprising, not that Marquez won but that he found one punch knockout power at the end of his career

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pac vs Marquez is such a fun matchup to watch because, it's the ultimate puncher vs counter puncher

I watched the fight, I thought Manny was moving quick and landing the straight left to the face almost at will.

Marquez was landing hard body shots and really only connected on two shots that landed flush for both knockdowns.
It wasn't a series of combos that took Pac down, just single clean shots.

That's what was so surprising, not that Marquez won but that he found one punch knockout power at the end of his career

Knockout power going up to welterweight from light welterweight isn't unheard of (which is what Marquez had to do for Pac IV fight), even at the tail end of Marquez's career. I would say it was an ideal position to be in because the regimen is tougher than just maintaining weight.

Marquez always had knockout power: 65% of his total fights from knockouts, while Manny having 63%. Basically identical. HBO pulled up a graphic that outlined their careers, landing percentages - all identical.

What some people don't mention is that even when Marquez went down, yes, Pac tried to put Marquez away, but Pac also took some serious punching exchanges in the process. By the 6th round, I would say his legs were recovered, and Pac's strategy (and often times my biggest criticism) is that he just became a predictable puncher with a stutter half right step to connect with his left. Marquez timed that nicely. Knockout.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knockout power going up to welterweight from light welterweight isn't unheard of (which is what Marquez had to do for Pac IV fight), even at the tail end of Marquez's career. I would say it was an ideal position to be in because the regimen is tougher than just maintaining weight.

Marquez always had knockout power: 65% of his fights from knockouts, while Manny having 63%. Basically identical. HBO pulled up a graphic that outlined their careers, landing percentages - all identical.

What some people don't mention is that even when Marquez went down, yes, Pac tried to put Marquez away, but Pac also took some serious punching exchanges in the process. By the 6th round, I would say his legs were recovered, and Pac's strategy (and often times my biggest criticism) is that he just became a predictable puncher with a stutter half right step to connect with his left. Marquez timed that nicely. Knockout.

Oh, I know Marquez can knockout opponents. It's the how, that's surprising.
From the few Marquez fights I've seen (Morales, Pac, Mayweather, Diaz, Katsidis) he gets his knockdowns by wearing down his opponents.
Outside of the two body shots and two knockdown punches, there wasn't that many counters or combos that stiffly landed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh, I know Marquez can knockout opponents. It's the how, that's surprising.
From the few Marquez fights I've seen (Morales, Pac, Mayweather, Diaz, Katsidis) he gets his knockdowns by wearing down his opponents.
Outside of the two body shots and two knockdown punches, there wasn't that many counters or combos that stiffly landed.

It may have been surprising that it was done on Pacman (he's got a great chin), but not surprising for Marquez to do it to opponents in general. I think that's my overall point. And I guess we'll agree to disagree on what Marquez landed. It seems you only saw 4 good punches, I saw much more than that. Good exchange at the end of round 4, and after the Marquez knockdown, Pac takes another clobber to the face, and a good 3-4 exchanges to the face before Pac wobbles Marquez to the end of round 5. And again in the sixth, a couple of other exchanges before the big punch.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may have been surprising that it was done on Pacman (he's got a great chin), but not surprising for Marquez to do it to opponents in general. I think that's my overall point. And I guess we'll agree to disagree on what Marquez landed. It seems you only saw 4 good punches, I saw much more than that. Good exchange at the end of round 4, and after the Marquez knockdown, Pac takes another clobber to the face, and a good 3-4 exchanges to the face before Pac wobbles Marquez to the end of round 5. And again in the sixth, a couple of other exchanges before the big punch.

Maybe I should have used better words. Instead of landed, I meant which punches really did damage. Then again, I'm going off memory, recalling only the punches that really stood out to me.

The body punches stood out to me, because of the sound they made on impact and the fact that Marquez changed his strategy mid-fight. They totally set up his knockout as Pac seemed to brace for the hook to the body instead of protecting his chin.

Have you seen Marquez vs Katsidis? That was a fun fight to watch and is the best example of Marquez wearing down a fighter.

The first Marquez knockdown was the real shocker. There was no indication that either fighter was in danger. But as the fight went on, youre right, there were more heavier punches landed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe I should have used better words. Instead of landed, I meant which punches really did damage. Then again, I'm going off memory, recalling only the punches that really stood out to me.

The body punches stood out to me, because of the sound they made on impact and the fact that Marquez changed his strategy mid-fight. They totally set up his knockout as Pac seemed to brace for the hook to the body instead of protecting his chin.

Have you seen Marquez vs Katsidis? That was a fun fight to watch and is the best example of Marquez wearing down a fighter.

The first Marquez knockdown was the real shocker. There was no indication that either fighter was in danger. But as the fight went on, youre right, there were more heavier punches landed.

Yeah, the body punches were definitely dropping his guard, I did notice that too with the mid-fight adjustment, good call. The Marquez vs. Katsidis was an awesome fight. Sweet science at its finest right there!

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Not really. Just like how when the Patriots were trying to go undefeated then lost to the Dolphins but still won the Superbowl. It's all about mismatches. Another example is when Mosley was in his prime but lost to Forrest. Me personally, I could care less about Pac fighting May in his oversized ring so he can run all fight. I'd pay (but I won't) to watch the Pac and Marquez rematch. I wouldn't pay for Pac and May.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac got cocky and took for granted the situation... he's still my favorite boxer in boxing today but he's no where near the guy i've became a fan off...

he would've fought hard and nasty for his bread and butter, now he got it, he smiles and holds hands... its upsetting.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IMO Pac looked pretty good. yes, he caught some shots even before the knockout, but to me he was taking over the fight.....
REALLY taking over. i mentioned this to my friends before that last round.

Marquez was already bleeding and getting puffy. also, it SEEMED he was just starting to get frustrated?

btw - i bet on Marquez so not heavily biased for Pac.