• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT. Newton Silences Critics?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did he mention Smith? And who in their right mind considers Smith in the same category athletically as Newton, Young, and Vick?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What does Smith have to do with my post?

Just pointing out that Smith has never shown anything near the level of brilliance that Newtion showed in his first game and on a terrible team.

I am not sure why I would think Newton will go from being brilliant to a bust just because he is athletic.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where did he mention Smith? And who in their right mind considers Smith in the same category athletically as Newton, Young, and Vick?

I mentioned Smith because he is the Niners number one pick and the QB that the Niners have resigned repeatedly to make their starting QB. I don't put Smith in the same category as Newton in anything to be honest with you.

I know that Smith is a sore subject for most Niner fans but he is a good guy to compare a potential bust with.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that seems peculiar. Talking about Newton, and then trying to hijack it into a Smith thread?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, that seems peculiar. Talking about Newton, and then trying to hijack it into a Smith thread?

I am not trying to hijack anything. I pointed out that I have never seen that level of brilliance from our #1 pick in response to a comment that I took to indicate Newton might still end up a bust.

If I just wanted to talk Alex Smith, I would start an Alex Smith thread.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just pointing out that Smith has never shown anything near the level of brilliance that Newtion showed in his first game and on a terrible team.

I am not sure why I would think Newton will go from being brilliant to a bust just because he is athletic.

That's because Alex Smith is far from a physical marvel like Newton, Vick, and Young. These guys can get by early on physical ability alone. Most of the time, however, defenses will catch up if they don't develop the mental aspect of Quarterbacking.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not trying to hijack anything. I pointed out that I have never seen that level of brilliance from our #1 pick in response to a comment that I took to indicate Newton might still end up a bust.
If I just wanted to talk Alex Smith, I would start an Alex Smith thread.

That's because Alex Smith is a very average athlete compared to Newton. I don't think you're understanding my premise.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's because Alex Smith is far from a physical marvel like Newton, Vick, and Young. These guys can get by early on physical ability alone. Most of the time, however, defenses will catch up if they don't develop the mental aspect of Quarterbacking.

Cam might have both the physical and mental strengths to be a good QB, I'd love for the Niners to have someone with either but that isn't the point here.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam might have both the physical and mental strengths to be a good QB, I'd love for the Niners to have someone with either but that isn't the point here.

I think it's been proven that Alex Smith doesn't have either the physical or mental strengths to be a major factor in the NFL. My point was QBs with tremendous physical talent (and no, Alex Smith isn't in that category despite the fact that he was drafted first overall) tend to do relatively well early on because of their physical tools. Some of them develop their mental Quarterbacking like Michael Vick, and some don't like Vince Young - and to those that don't defenses will eventually catch up and these QBs will come down to earth.

Cam Newton has all of the physical talent in the world, which is why I wasn't THAT surprised - but I still doubt he'll have the mental aspect down pat.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I agree with Clyde though. Why bring up Alex Smith when we are talking about Newton's performance?