• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: NBA Finals

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the better bench, I give the edge to the Heat if we are talking about Jordan's last 2 championship teams. Other than the original big 3, Kerr and Kukoc (and they were pretty much 1 dimensional) were the only real prime time players if you will. The rest of the bench were old and aged or young and seriously not relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dre, if you're talking about an 8 man rotation, which is what they would use for the most part, it was ridiculously solid. Don't forget Ron Harper, who was way overqualified as a bench/role player. And while he faded quickly, Jason Caffey was pretty damn good on those teams.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Heh....my memory fails me. Looking at Caffey's stats, he didn't do much for the Bulls. Why did the Warriors give that guy a huge contract after they got him from the Bulls.....wait, don't answer that.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh....my memory fails me. Looking at Caffey's stats, he didn't do much for the Bulls. Why did the Warriors give that guy a huge contract after they got him from the Bulls.....wait, don't answer that.

Yeah, don't pull of the stats, they would be misleading, especially on Caffey. The biggest sin the Chicago Bulls made during their run was the failure of making and developing young draft picks, hence the major fall off after the break up. Ron Harper had no knees when he came to Chicago, while decent, he was a starter not off the bench.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The starting five for the 97/98 season were Luc Longley, Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan and Ron Harper. Kukoc and Kerr were the only main/consistent threats. Randy Brown had his moments, but I would take Quinn Cook all day over Brown

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dre, if you're talking about an 8 man rotation, which is what they would use for the most part, it was ridiculously solid. Don't forget Ron Harper, who was way overqualified as a bench/role player. And while he faded quickly, Jason Caffey was pretty damn good on those teams.

So Harper was Ginobli in other words. (Not comparing their play, just that Ginobli should start on other teams, not get sixth man of the year off the bench) Or am I thinking of Jason Terry?

Edit: Disregard my post if Harper was a starter... or if you just don't like my post... or for that matter, if you just don't like me. ;)

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Harper was Ginobli in other words. (Not comparing their play, just that Ginobli should start on other teams, not get sixth man of the year off the bench) Or am I thinking of Jason Terry?

That would only apply had Harper came off the bench, but he didn't

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would only apply had Harper came off the bench, but he didn't

Ahh... he reminded me of Fisher, but I obviously don't remember him much. I only remember him for the three after the buzzer that counted in Game 6 on the 1997-98 finals (second one over the Jazz).

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OK, after reviewing those Bulls teams I will admit my memory isn't good at all.

And totally forgot about Rusty LaRue and Dickey Simpkins....couple of classic names.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, after reviewing those Bulls teams I will admit my memory isn't good at all.

And totally forgot about Rusty LaRue and Dickey Simpkins....couple of classic names.

LMAO...Dickey Simpkins was my dude. The only prospect I ever had any hope for that the Bulls drafted during the championship runs was Byron Houston out of OSU. He fused out to be nothing

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rodman and Pippen win this conversation and its not even close. Both Rodman and Pippen were standouts on the defensive side of the ball, something neither Wade or Bosh come close to, especially Bosh. Rodman was more than a beast on the boards and at 6'8 220, you could stick him on anyone in the paint with his athleticism and he was causing problems. Pippen, what really needs to be said. Where he lacked on consistency in the shooting department, he made up for with all around game running the point, being a premier defender, but he was still good for 18-21 a game. Bosh and Wade are 1 dimensional offensive players who flash the occasional hint of defense every blue moon.

How is Rodman not a one dimensional player? Rodman had zero offensive game.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Rodman not a one dimensional player? Rodman had zero offensive game.

Those championship teams of the Pistons and Bulls Rodman was not needed as a scorer. To say he couldn't score is a far stretch considering at the NAIA level he averaged 25.7 points per game, had a field goal percentage of almost 64% during one of those seasons. Playing with Zeke, Aguire, Microwave, Jordan and Pippen he was simply ASKED to do what he did exceptionally well, and that was rebound and defend. His prowess was noted coming out of the NAIA at the pre-draft camp he attended where he won MVP in 85-86?????. Bosh scores, but what else does he do well? Nothing. Rodman was/is the best rebounder in the history of the game and an elite defender in the post. Hell, I remember him and that 6'6 frame guarding Shaq for damn near entire games. Calling Bosh a decent one on one defender in the post is a stretch in itself..In the end, this discussion in itself is a tragedy. Rodman and Pippen combine for 11 NBA titles, 15- First team all NBA defensive selections and add on Rodman's 2 time selection as NBA defensive player of the year. Bosh and Wade don't even deserve to be brought up with the same breath as Rodman and Pippen, two Hall of Famers.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just now Checking the Worm's early career stats, he was still damn near a double-double guy, where he was averaging almost 10 points and 10 boards a season

And let me add that Rodman's rebound were big boy rebounds. As in, down in the lane, fighting, scrapping and throwing elbow rebounds. None of this, zone, catch the ball off the rim nonsense where the shooter shoots, and damn near the entire offensive squad is already running back into transition.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To say he couldn't score is a far stretch considering at the NAIA level he averaged 25.7 points per game, had a field goal percentage of almost 64% during one of those seasons. .

You cant compare different leagues and say I guy can score in the NBA because he could do it in a lesser league. Look at all the NBA busts over the years and they had good college careers but their skills didnt translate to the NBA level. Michael Olowokandi was something like a 20 pt scorer.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bosh scores, but what else does he do well? Nothing. QUOTE]

Bosh does a lot of things well. Yes he can score and shoot almost anywhere on the court. This opens the whole offense for other guys when you got a 6'11 PF with that ability. Bosh is also good at passing and has good vision. You're acting like offense isnt as imporant when its half the game. Bosh rebounds well too. He has had numerous times in his career when he averaged over 10 rebounds over the season. And hell Bosh has averaged more blocks, assists and steals then Rodman.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Career stats

Bosh
FG% .492
3% .289

Ft .799
Rebounds - 9.1
off - 2.5